• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] [RSE/FRLG] Converting the 25 "??" slots into new Pokémon.

Years
  • [RSE/FRLG] Converting the 25 "??" slots into new Pok?mon.

Is it possible to use the 25 "dummy" Pok?mon slots in between Celebi and Treecko for new Pok?mon? I ask because I've heard that those slots were at least inferred to have been allocated for use by the assorted Unown variants before GameFreak decided to handle those differently, and I've also heard reports of some minor odd behavior associated with those slots, particularly in regards to the game crashing when moves other than Tackle are forcibly taught to one of the dummy Pok?mon. This makes me concerned that perhaps they're still tied to Unown in some way, and/or have troublesome properties affixed to them, such that it would be difficult to untangle them for repurposing,

Does anybody know, like? what The Deal? is with those "??" Pok?mon? Is there anything I should look out for in modifying them, or is there some reason why doing so is so bad an idea that it shouldn't even be attempted?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Is it possible to use the 25 "dummy" Pok?mon slots in between Celebi and Treecko for new Pok?mon? I ask because I've heard that those slots were at least inferred to have been allocated for use by the assorted Unown variants before GameFreak decided to handle those differently, and I've also heard reports of some minor odd behavior associated with those slots, particularly in regards to the game crashing when moves other than Tackle are forcibly taught to one of the dummy Pok?mon. This makes me concerned that perhaps they're still tied to Unown in some way, and/or have troublesome properties affixed to them, such that it would be difficult to untangle them for repurposing,

Does anybody know, like? what The Deal? is with those "??" Pok?mon? Is there anything I should look out for in modifying them, or is there some reason why doing so is so bad an idea that it shouldn't even be attempted?

PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)

Do you know specificially what errors PGE runs into with them?

Years
  • PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)

Ahhh, good to know! I'll definitely use that, then!

Is it possible to use multiple editors for editing the slots, incidentally? Not simultaneously, but, like, alternating between them? I ask because G3T doesn't support editing any parts of a Pok?mon's learnset besides level-up moves, which obviously won't do if I'm going to make the additional Pok?mon fully-realized ones that the player can get and use.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Ahhh, good to know! I'll definitely use that, then!

Is it possible to use multiple editors for editing the slots, incidentally? Not simultaneously, but, like, alternating between them? I ask because G3T doesn't support editing any parts of a Pok?mon's learnset besides level-up moves, which obviously won't do if I'm going to make the additional Pok?mon fully-realized ones that the player can get and use.

Of course you can, as long as you don't use G3HS with PGE, since G3HS breaks compatibility with PGE (because the developer of PGE won't update PGE to be able to undo the changes that G3HS does that break the compatibility, I don't think it'd be hard to just check for some table breaks lol)

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    Well I had it simply crash on one of them but the others seemed to be alright. PGE can't edit their cries but can edit all of the regular ones.

Ok nice, but in terms of catching and using those Pokemon in-game, is there any trouble?

Edit: So I'm testing putting in Pokemon in those slots and it seems like they all share the same icon sprite :/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Ok nice, but in terms of catching and using those Pokemon in-game, is there any trouble?

Edit: So I'm testing putting in Pokemon in those slots and it seems like they all share the same icon sprite :/

They are fully functional species and their icons can be changed.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    Well that's what I'm seeing in PGE, when I change icon for one of them the others get the same icon.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Well that's what I'm seeing in PGE, when I change icon for one of them the others get the same icon.

You'd have to edit them seperately, or expand the number of Pokémon. I have no idea otherwise how to fix the issues with the icons, since I don't even bother with it anyway.

Back