• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Editing the Ending Cutscene/Credits

DarkLugiaMaster-Gir

Leggo My Eggo!
Years
  • Hello; I'm learning how to create a Rom Hack of Fire Red for a small, personal project. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs, and especially how the beginning and end of the game works.

I know there are tools, to some extent, to edit the intro of the game, which are useful. I couldn't figure out how to properly modify Oak's cutscene after attempting to leave Pallet Town, but I think I've got a good enough work-around, and learned how to turn off most of the flags and variables that are based around that.

Now, my biggest problem, as of now, is the ending of the game. I'm still figuring out how the elite 4 works, but at this point, I understand enough where if I can't modify them, I can at least re-make them and their warps and introduce new variables, while still using their trainer data. Except, after defeating Lance, I can't for the life of me figure out how to write/code the ending script of the game.

In AdvancedMap, neither the Rival or Oak have a script I can open and I've been lead to believe they're level scripts? But that's about all the info I could find. I know that, like I mentioned before, I could simply write a new trainer battle, but that still leaves me with a few problems. Even though I could warp the player to the Hall of Fame, I have no knowledge on how to activate the machine's animation, and even if I did, there is still a problem with the ending cutscene.

I know that special 0x110 forces the Hall of Fame cutscene to activate but directly after there is a small scene of the player, the rival, and Oak all leaving the League Building before the credits roll; and I've looked high and low, but I haven't been able to find a single thing on how to modify or remove it. As well, if there was a way to modify the parameters of the camera that pans over maps, I'd love to know about that as well; just so it doesn't look janky over my modified maps. There are a lot of others things I'd love to change about the credits too, since they don't really match what my Rom Hack is going for, but I'm totally fine leaving them as are, if I could just figure out how to modify what I mentioned before. I know it's possible, since I've seen other Rom Hacks do it, but even looking at their scripts, I'm totally lost. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Years
    • She/her/hers
    • Seen Oct 26, 2023
    I don't know about the credits, but the scene of the player, rival, and Oak leaving is a level script for the outside of the Pokemon League building (as in, the map you can fly to).

There are also level scripts in the Champion's Room and in the Hall of Fame that lock the player's movement and start cutscenes when those rooms are entered. Do you know how to edit level scripts in Advance Map? Select your map, then go to the header tab, and there is a section where they are listed. A map can have multiple level scripts, so there is a number box on the left that changes which script you're looking at.

You can load these level scripts, copy/paste them into a new script, then edit them and insert the new scripts into free space. Then just change the pointer in AdvanceMap to where the new script was inserted. I would keep any flag or var changes in the original scripts in there if you don't know what they do, just to make sure the events progress correctly.

I'm not sure what activates the Hall of Fame machine animation but I'd guess that it is a special at the end of the HF room level script.

Good luck!

Back