• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can I make a gba game consisting of...

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2024
    Hello. I was wondering about the size of the GBA game cartridge.

I don't know what the standard is, but would it be possible to fit the following on a single catridge:

A 4+1 Act plot
    2 Prequel Acts
    2 Sequel Acts
    Approximately 1020 pokemon (Including the 802 original, and 218 additional, not including Mega/Burst Mode, Shadow, or Alolan pokemon sprites)
    A new battle style (consisting of 4 categories of 4 moves)
    A massive map (10 regions of Nova, including Northwest (Greater Lenova), Southwest (Greater Panova), Mountain West (Greater Bonova), Desert West (Greater Dinova), Southern (Greater Sonova), Central (Greater Cenova), Northern (Greater Nonova), Great Lakes (Greater Winova), Southwest (Greater Minova), and Northeast (Greater Unova)
    80 Cities, including primary cities Unova (New York City & Vicinity), Minova (Miami/Ft Lauderdale), Winova (Greater Chicago), Sonova (Dallas/Fort Worth), Cenova (St Louis/St Charles), Nonova (Minneapolis/St. Paul), Dinova (Salt Lake City/Provo/Ogden), Bonova (Boise/Nampa/Ontario), Lenova (Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia/Everett), Panova (Los Angeles/San Bernardino), among many others
    40+ Routes
    20+ Dungeons (Labyrinth-like locations, including Caves, Forests, Tunnels, Bridges, Deep, Ruins, Towers, etc.)
    10+ Trials (Non-stop back-to-back battles, including Elite Four, Grand Championship, Contest Challenge, Master League, Trainer Tower, etc.)
    5+ Raids (Link required)
    New Moves and Special Effects
    More Sounds and Music
    Emerald-like Cutscenes

I want to play this game on the road or whenever I go somewhere. That's why I am designing it. But I'm not sure that even the largest of the GBA flash cartridges can hold all of this. I don't think splitting it up into small portions would work, either.

If anyone know a possible estimation for this, please let me know.

Years
  • I mean, I'm sure you could fit it all onto the cartridge if you had Satoru Iwata-tier programming skills, but barring that, it... might be a little tough.

How long is each act planned to be, by the way? Both in terms of playtime and in terms of, like, number of areas visited. 'Cause that's definitely relevant.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2024
    I mean, I'm sure you could fit it all onto the cartridge if you had Satoru Iwata-tier programming skills, but barring that, it... might be a little tough.

How long is each act planned to be, by the way? Both in terms of playtime and in terms of, like, number of areas visited. 'Cause that's definitely relevant.

Each act utilizes one of the ten areas. Each area/region has 8 to 10 cities.

In any case, I just found out that I am making a fan game, which cannot be put onto a gba cartridge (A fan game consists of building from scratch, which is exactly what I am doing)

EDIT: Playtime wise, minimum of 1 hour to per act.

Last edited:
    Back