• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] RPG Maker XP on Mac using Wine

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
Years
  • Hello! I recently made the switch to a Mac Pro ever since my Windows machine decided that it should crash every single time it accessed my solid state drive!

So now on my Mac, I have decided to continue developing using RPG Maker XP, but now I've run into a problem; every time I go to play test the game, I get an error message:

8Y7COO07kzX1bNgrN4RgDRINzwyDZDb0k_IdtRp6AfhEUbPSYTnuR22XD3-1WUwsgPls7TtVhazM7AUeFor6=w1680-h953

Keep in mind, I am using Wine. More specifically, I am using the most recent stable version of Wine, available directly from WineHQ, which is 3.0. When I first installed RPG Maker XP using Wine, everything worked fine and I was able to playtest the game perfectly. However now, a few days later, I go to see if I can playtest my game, and I get this error message when I go to either continue from a save file or start a new game. Doesn't matter what I do, it always shows me this error.

Does anyone else use RPG Maker XP on Mac? And if so, could anyone give me a hand? Is this even the appropriate place to put this thread? I feel like it would belong somewhere in the help section, but it still has to do with Game Development... Anyway, mods, feel free to move it where it is supposed to be, if it's not in the right place.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided!

Sparkin

Could you display an image of this error you speak of?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Can you create that folder? I'm not sure exactly how Wine lays things out on OSX, but for me (on Linux) that would be something like "/home/mgriffin/.wine/drive_c/users/silversucks104/Temp".

EDIT: In case you're curious ENOENT is the error code for "no file or directory".

Last edited:

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
    Years
  • Well, I tried something COMPLETELY different and uninstalled a game I had installed and started playing yesterday, and I'm able to playtest my game again. Even though the Temp folder wasn't even necessary to begin with. I just moved it to the Trash Can and restarted the playtest, and it still starts up perfectly, and I'm still able to playtest it...

So that problem is out of the way. Thanks anyway... It always happens, doesn't it? You ask someone or a forum for help, and inevitably you will find the problem on your own. I feel like a dunce... :P

gl4cieR

C/C++ Graphics Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2018
    It would be better if you setup a VM install Windows and Install RPGMXP.
    VMware Player/Fusion has a very good integration for Mac OS making it almost seamless and the speed is almost perfect from my own testings.

Wine will give you more headaches than setting up a VM.

sincerely,
    gl4cieR

Back