• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shiny Hunting Chespin

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    Ok so new at this...not shiny hunting, but posting and talking to other ppl in this fashion. Had a bad experience with other shiny hunters and almost ruined the whole experience for me...but now I am back and duel resetting on both X and Y for Chespin...a task which after two weeks now seems endless. It sorta feels like I am running down a long hallway, opening random doors: "Are you shiny yet?... No....How about now?"

Haven't given up yet but this has been dragging on for...almost a month now. *yawns* I don't think the sparkles like me. XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2019
    Ok so new at this...not shiny hunting, but posting and talking to other ppl in this fashion. Had a bad experience with other shiny hunters and almost ruined the whole experience for me...but now I am back and duel resetting on both X and Y for Chespin...a task which after two weeks now seems endless. It sorta feels like I am running down a long hallway, opening random doors: "Are you shiny yet?... No....How about now?"

Haven't given up yet but this has been dragging on for...almost a month now. *yawns* I don't think the sparkles like me. XD

Do you want one to play through the story with?

If not, I would imagine breeding a regular Chespin using the Masuda method would be quicker. It would reduce the odds from 1 in 4,096 down to 1 in 683 (or 1 in 512 with the shiny charm).

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    It would...but I also like to feel I earn my shinies, Matsuda method while nice still feels very much akin to cheating to me...in a sense, and starters especially I like to earn my way into. ^^

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2019
    It would...but I also like to feel I earn my shinies, Matsuda method while nice still feels very much akin to cheating to me...in a sense, and starters especially I like to earn my way into. ^^

In my opinion it is no more cheating that soft-resetting. To me, if you don't get given a shiny starter in the first instance, re-setting the game over and over and over again feels more like cheating than breeding until you get one; breeding being a genuine function in the games.

But I understand where you are coming from. Starters are given out at a very specific point in the game, from the Professor, so I can understand why getting a shiny starter from the Professor would feel more special.

I wish you the best of luck in your ongoing grind!

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2019
    P.S. I recently bred a shiny Fennekin and a second one for a shiny Braixen and they are beautiful. A shiny Chespin and a shiny Greninja are on my lists to try for eventually as well.

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    True, and your probs right. I just feel guilty when I do it...then again my bf told me I was cheating, so that might be some unconscious thing with it.

Hehe...thanks guys, good luck to you too. ^^

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    I also have a list of targets I want to hunt once I finish this one. Hawlucha is one of my top I want to hunt ones, I just love the black on red, and would like a shiny fletchling. ^^

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Are you going to hunt them in the Friend Safari, or as full odds, random encounters?

User19sq

As stated before, I'd advise you to use the Masuda Method. I don't consider it cheating because Masuda himself (the composer for the games) was the one to reveal it existed in the first place. He basically did us all a favor.

That aside, you can also influence what the shiny will have. If you want Bulletproof instead of Overgrow, use a female Chespin with its HA (80% chance of passing it down). If you want a certain nature, use the Everstone. These are all legitimate tactics, and nothing to be ashamed about.

In my personal experience, I've only ever found three XY shinies, the first of which was an accident. My current run has both a shiny Delphox and shiny Gourgeist that I bred using MM, and they both took a long time to get (Delphox 1h30m+, and Gourgeist 5h+). Basically, you just need patience.

I consider XY/ORAS shinies to be the most valuable because they're very hard to get. There's nothing wrong with using what the game gives you.

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    I think...because I am changing the odds ( Matsuda Method ) instead of letting them happen naturally, that makes me a little uneasy. Either way I plan to keep hunting for my shinies all natural. XD

In a way I think it feels more special if my hunts are full odds. ^^

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I fully support your decision on full-odds, I feel they are much more rewarding when I know I got it at the lowest possibility. I think it's more fun to have no control on Nature, Ability, and Egg moves. Don't give up :)

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    Thinking of starting up some live streams of my hunts...though I think live streaming is either something you are successful at or something you fall flat on your face XD

User19sq

At your current rate, I strongly advise against livestreaming. Streaming two different 3DS systems and a very low success rate would likely just lead to boredom.

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    there are some live streams where they get into 3000's, doesn't mean I will give up something I always wanted to try cause it's tough. I have... a refuse to die personality. XD

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Mar 29, 2018
    2000 sr's in now, hopefully I will get my chespin soon or might have to do a full restart and look for a different trainer id. I've always heard you have a better chance with 0's in your id or a number that goes up like 12378 with the 123 having an impact because it is going up in correct numerical order.... might just be pokemon old wives tales though. :P

User19sq

No, the only things that increase your chances are Masuda Method and the Shiny Charm. In XY, Chain Fishing is the only other option. Rumor has it using Friend Safari also increases your chances.

Back