• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Editing text in PMD Red Rescue Team with hex editing

bluhacks263

"My first hack I'm making, a remake of Yellow on F
Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2021
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is often known around here as not being easily hackable as the mainline games, however, I tried my best and found out that with a hex editor you can edit the text strings(I also found out how to insert custom music but that's another thread).

Tools you'll need
    *A hex editor, such as HxD
    *Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team Rom

CAUTION! THIS PROCESS CAN DESTROY YOUR ROM IF DONE INCORRECTLY, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR ROM BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

1. Find the text we want to use
    First we need to find the dialogue we want to edit, so open the rom with the hex editor and search for "My poor", this should bring you here.
    8aQVno7.png

This is the text strings for the dialogue in the first scene of the game, when Butterfree appears and asks you to help her rescue Caterpie. Now we are going to select this text and carefully, not add, but replace this line as shown below.
    OUMcm2H.png

2. Editing the text strings
    Just put your cursor right before the selected line and put in this,
    zj44EOR.png

As said before, don't add it in, you should just type it in when you put the cursor before the unchanged line, and the empty spaces are spaces while ~27 is the comma '.

3. Testing the edited text
    When you're done you should save the edit, and now test it out by playing the rom in a emulator.
    SDRHgwk.png

The edited dialogue almost looks fine, except that we have those three dots, but otherwise it's edited text! You will have a lot of trial and error for editing through hex, so testing the dialogue helps to see if the text is looking fine. Soon you'll might be able to pull off stuff like this for example.
    https://youtu.be/FyMN3pFnegM

Notes
    *You can only replace text in the game due to how the hex editing works, and follow the limits the original dialogue has.
    *Make sure you don't accidentally add or remove bytes, as this will destroy the whole rom.
    *You can replace nearly everything in the game that has the text strings in the bytes, try using the search tool to find some words of the dialogue that you want to edit, as exact sentences might not always work with the search tool.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2019
    This is fantastic! I'll be sure to do my best to use this to its full potential! I was wondering, you mentioned being able to edit the music as well, as in, add in custom music. Could you explain to me how to do that, or could you make a post about it? Thank you!

Back