• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Can't seem to find anything like this on any tutorials.

How would I go about making a script tile where the script doesn't execute unless the player is facing a certain direction and presses the A Button?

waitkeypress seems to wait for either the A or the B button, and I don't know how to check the direction the player is facing in XSE.

Are there any commands to check which button is pressed after a button is pressed or anything?

If you're using AdvanceMap, instead of a script tile you can use a signpost tile. By changing its "signpost type", you can make it so that the script assigned to it will only execute if the player is facing a certain direction.

However, you would have to press A while facing the signpost tile, not while stepping on it.

J-

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2014
I'm reworking the text on my hack to create a story using Advance Text and when I do, it will sometimes affect the texts of others. I mean this as in when I make one person say something it may change the text of what another person is saying.
It's rather strange to see your mother saying "bones of a dragon."

Has anyone else had this problem?

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2014
Anything that isn't a hardware limitation is possible. Making a level+item evolution would require asm though, you'd need to write a new evolution method because there isn't one that checks for both level and held item.

Edit: Come to think of it you may be able to commandeer the trade+item method and edit it into a level+item one, as long as you don't plan on using trading for evolutions in your hack. I'm putting that on my list of things to look in to.
I figued it would be some deeper stuff. Thanks for your explanastion.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
So i installed jpans hack into my rom and I want to create an item/script,(if i can figure out what im asking i should be able to work from there), that will change your sprite, trainer card etc. I have read the instructions that came with the hack but it doesnt explain one important thing that I would really like to know. when you type the script
Spoiler:
How do I get the number for already in the game sprites? like where it says setvar 0x4055 0x### how do I find the ###?

Bumping my question, still no answer

Joexv

Years
So I was doing the finishing touches to my fire red hack and I ran into my final problem. I made a room in the professors lab that has a pokemon trainer. I used the Swimmer Mymo from Outcast Island as the base. I can battle him and everything seems good yet he disappears after the elite four. I cant find a fix :(

Can you show the script that you used?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 27, 2018
Can you show the script that you used?

'---------------
#org 0x1AC40F
trainerbattle 0x0 0x23E 0x0 0x818B48F 0x818B4C5
special2 0x800D 0x39
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x81AC436
msgbox 0x818B4D1 0x6 '"I'm only at the halfway point[.]\n..."
end

'---------------
#org 0x1AC436
trainerbattle 0x5 0x23E 0x0 0x81C3F11 0x818B4C5
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x18B48F
= ????: !\pI see....\pShall we begin?

#org 0x18B4C5
= Gasp[.]\nGasp[.]

#org 0x18B4D1
= I'm only at the halfway point[.]\nI'm beat[.]

#org 0x1C3F11
= Gasp[.] Gasp[.]\pI swam here from SIX ISLAND's port\nin one go again.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
HELP. I've searched and searched and searched and not found out how to implement a png of a bunch of character sprites into my FireRed edit. I can't post it because I haven't posted enough times but its a picture of the diamond main character sprite standing and biking and with a fishing rod. Do you follow me? where can I learn this.

The image is near the end of this page by Muffin

ht tp://ww w.p okecommun ity.com/sh owthre ad.ph p?t=193327&page=3

Sorry for spaces I cant post links

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
I used Jambo51"s method to extend the attack table to create 100 something new moves but I've run into a snag.

I made my own move in the place of where the second pound would be but it's still using pound's animation even though I repointed the animation using PGE. It's also attacks the user even though I tried making it into a status move even with 0 BP

any advice?

Joexv

Years
'---------------
#org 0x1AC40F
trainerbattle 0x0 0x23E 0x0 0x818B48F 0x818B4C5
special2 0x800D 0x39
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x81AC436
end

'---------------
#org 0x1AC436
trainerbattle 0x5 0x23E 0x0 0x81C3F11 0x818B4C5
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x18B48F
= ????: !\pI see....\pShall we begin?

#org 0x18B4C5
= Gasp[.]\nGasp[.]

#org 0x18B4D1
= I'm only at the halfway point[.]\nI'm beat[.]

#org 0x1C3F11
= Gasp[.] Gasp[.]\pI swam here from SIX ISLAND's port\nin one go again.

Ok so I dont see anything wrong. Did you put a person ID on him in a-map? If so you may have used an already used flag and should probably remove/change it if you do not want him to disapear.

HELP. I've searched and searched and searched and not found out how to implement a png of a bunch of character sprites into my FireRed edit. I can't post it because I haven't posted enough times but its a picture of the diamond main character sprite standing and biking and with a fishing rod. Do you follow me? where can I learn this.

The image is near the end of this page by Muffin

ht tp://ww w.p okecommun ity.com/sh owthre ad.ph p?t=193327&page=3

Sorry for spaces I cant post links

You cant insert a picture like that. you have to split it so that every frame of the hero is a different picture then you open your preffered sprite editor(i use nse) and insert it in there frame by frame.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
I used Jambo51"s method to extend the attack table to create 100 something new moves but I've run into a snag.

I made my own move in the place of where the second pound would be but it's still using pound's animation even though I repointed the animation using PGE. It's also attacks the user even though I tried making it into a status move even with 0 BP

any advice?

I found the answer to part of my own question. sharing the answer for those who care.

I had to go into the ROM and hex edit the pointer since PGE can't do it for some reason. control F the first pointer for pound and then search for the second time it there and then change it to whatever you want.

however, I still can't change a previously attacking move into a non attacking status move.

I think I need to hex edit that in also but I need to know what byte makes a move attacking vs. not (something PGE CAN'T edit on the extended moves for some reason)

this is (all or part of) fire punch
00 00 00 04 4B 0A 64 0F 0A 00 00 13

what I need to know is how long each attack is in bytes and what byte to edit in order for it to turn into a special move or a status move

edit: I found the answer myself again. it turns out that some effects (like the one for ancient power) automatically turn a move into an attacking move. very odd to me but I've learned something important

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 27, 2018
Ok so I dont see anything wrong. Did you put a person ID on him in a-map? If so you may have used an already used flag and should probably remove/change it if you do not want him to disapear.

He has the id $0088. Im not sure how to change flags. (total script n00b)

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
I'm reworking the text on my hack to create a story using Advance Text and when I do, it will sometimes affect the texts of others. I mean this as in when I make one person say something it may change the text of what another person is saying.
It's rather strange to see your mother saying "bones of a dragon."

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think you should've just went to Simple and Question thread :) Well, there is a tutorial for this. Rather than using A-text, use XSE instead then find the offset. You should just go and find the tutorial ^^ And yeah, when I was a noob, I had the same problem as yours.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2017
A quick question: Guys, is there any tool or guide here in the forum to repoint the unown cries of the ??? pokemon to some other pokemon cries? Sorry if there is but I can't find it.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2021
I seem to have this problem with 'phantom walls' in pokemon gold. It's basically a tile or a few tiles which look empty (you can normally walk through them) but if you try walking through them its like walking into a tree or a wall.

The first time this happened was on route 34 ( the daycare route) where you couldn't enter Ilex forest that way and you couldn't enter the daycare through the side door. The warps work by the way because you can leave the daycare through the side door.

That's not really a problem now because I made some changes to enter and exit the daycare through the garden and the ilex forest thing isn't really a big problem.

Now, the big problem is that some stairs inside the ice path have been blocked by these phantom walls so a player cant advance to blackthorn city( which also has problems but I'll post about it some other day). Whats even worse is due to the whole ice mechanics once you're in you can't even leave the cave (without dig or an escape rope).

I didn't even change the ice path so all the event data and map data are the same as a clean gold (I checked on a hex editor). Please help!

JimRaz0r

JimRaz0r
Years
I have an Advance Trainer error that keeps coming up when I start the program then load my ROM. A small box come up saying: "Subscript out of range. DrawTile8@modLZ77" The base of my ROM is Pokemon Ruby and I can't continue to hack without editing trainers. For those who are expert ROM hackers could probably figure this out so please help.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
I have an Advance Trainer error that keeps coming up when I start the program then load my ROM. A small box come up saying: "Subscript out of range. DrawTile8@modLZ77" The base of my ROM is Pokemon Ruby and I can't continue to hack without editing trainers. For those who are expert ROM hackers could probably figure this out so please help.

you can't use advance trainer while also having the display settings on windows over 100%. change that and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back