• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Battle for Wesnoth - Pokemon Mod (turn based strategy)

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    Greetings PokeCommunity, i want to present to You my little project which is a Pokemon adding modification to a great strategy/rpg game called Battle for Wesnoth, read more about it here : https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Description

I've been playing the game every now and then, and really enjoyed it. Although the game has rich modding community, I haven't seen anything Pokemon related (probably because the official server disallows anything copyrighted). After a while I found it was easy to mod the game simply using a text editor, so I tried implementing Pokemon just for fun. Now I think my little project turned out really nice so I thought, why not share it, hope You will look this up and enjoy it !

There are two available Pokemon generations to choose from (Kanto and Johto) in my mod, and it's completely playable meaning that there shouldn't be any gamebreaking bugs or other issues !

Some screenshots, click on an image to enlarge it : https://imgur.com/a/y9wyW

Download links :
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth/files/wesnoth-1.10/wesnoth-1.10.7/
    https://www.mediafire.com/download/ka5634jrqy81g4o/data.zip

Please note two things :
    -1.10.7 is an outdated version of the game, but I was working with it specifically. Download this exact version or otherwise it might not work.
    -I work only with Windows, and this was made for Windows only. I have no experience with other OS's, and trying to get it to work on other OS probably won't work.

How to get it up and working, it's pretty simple :
    -Download the .exe file, open it and install the game.
    -Download the data.zip and extract it.
    -Navigate to where you installed the game and copy the data folder inside. Overwrite files when asked.
    -Launch wesnoth.exe

Now I'm going to explain the basics of the game.

Click "Multiplayer", then "Local Game". Here You can select the map You wish to play (ranging from 2 to 9 players available) and many game settings. If everything seems to be greyed out untick "Use map settings", but let's just skip it for now. For the first time select a "2p - Hamlets" map and proceed with "OK". Click on second player (should be named Local player) and change it to computer player. Start the game by clicking "I'm ready" button.

Here is what You will see : https://imgur.com/F3wOzHl <- - - - - - - - click me, there's a lot of stuff inside

Press Ctrl+R to open recruit menu, and then recruit units You want. Note that every recruited unit lowers Your gold income per turn. Now click on Your leader and point it to the nearest village. Now the village is captured and will provide You gold every turn. Capturing a village makes your unit lose all it's remaining movement points. Recruited units have 1 turn cooldown before You can use them. Since You can't do anything more in this turn let's finish it. Click the "end turn" button in the bottom-right corner or simply press Ctrl+Space. Now it's Your computer opponent turn. He should finish quickly, and it's a new turn in which You can now move your recruited units. Use them to capture other nearby villages to provide more gold income. Then move forward until You encounter enemy units. I suggest that You move Your leader back to the fort, so he can recruit more units when there is enough gold. Of course You can send him to battle with Your other units, but keep in mind that losing the leader will lose You the game.

https://imgur.com/99NJivu < - - - once again, click me

In this scenario the enemy attacked me first. Note that enemy Cyndaquil and Chikorita damage my Squirtle quite a bit. It's now below half health and in risk of fainting. It may be wise to retreat to a village to give it an opportunity to restore its health. An unit that rests inside a village will restore 8 health at the beginning of the turn. Units get experience points when fighting, small amount after every survived attack, and a greater amount when dealing a finishing blow to the enemy. With sufficient experience points an unit can advance fully healing itself in the process (or rather evolve). Also note a few different things. Green orb next to an unit indicates that it didn't move yet this turn. Yellow orb means that the unit did something already, but can still do something. Red one tells You that the unit can't do nothing more in the current turn. Next thing - all units have Zone of Control (does not apply to ghost type Pokemon). When you move Your unit to a hex adjacent to enemy unit it causes it to lose all it's movement points for this turn, and all it can do now is attack. You also may have noted by now, that some units have unique abilities. Select a unit, and then point the cursor to the info bar on the right. Hover the cursor around something that interests You and the game will display some information. You can also press "d" to open up an info menu. Here You have a detailed information about the unit. If something like a special ability is highlighted in yellow, You can click on it and read more about it. In-game, of course basic Pokemon logic applies. This means that Chikorita will take more damage from a fire attack. However i've taken the liberty to modify some aspects, that I thought made sense, or to balance the game.

Now You have sufficient knowledge about the game, so that You can finish the game by Yourself. Did You win ? Write a comment about it ! Now You can discover new maps, change the map settings, think about strategies, and finally battle Your friends ! Despite the version of the game being outdated You can play with other people through the internet. To do so click "Multiplayer" in the starting menu, and then select "Join Official Server" However please do not join into random games with the Pokemon mod installed. Doing so will divide by zero, and Your computer will explode...

Credits :
    -Wesnoth team for creating this great game
    -Various Wesnoth modders for creating many scripts/macros that I used

If You got to this point, then write what You think ! Have a question ? Something is imbalanced or found a bug ? Write a comment !

I hope that You have a great time playing this.
    Greetings

Back