• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fanfic] A Dyslexic Ranger

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Okay, I haven't read everything, but I read the first post, and skimmed the latter ones to see what's changed. I'm not really into power rangers, so I'm not really interested in continuing, but that in no way means anything besides that. I really like what you're doing with the setting, though. Putting these realistic problems onto such a fantastical setting is rare, and creates interesting angles, and you seem to use them well. Stories like this are empowering, especially in showing to readers who potentially have issues like the main character that they aren't defining or something that should hold them back. Really cool to see something writing something like this!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Chapter 21: Traci's Birthday​

Normal POV

Antonio is in his room hard at work fixing Traci's Vihuela. He takes a short break to let the paint dry underneath the fretboard where he painted Traci's name and got to work programming the clawzord. While the Rangers along with Traci's Aunt and Uncle, and Zachary, are making decorations for Traci's birthday tomorrow.

"Are you sure that we'll be able to pull this off," Kevin asks.

"I know we can, so what about the cake?" Jayden answers.

"I'd make it, but it's too hard without risking that Traci finds out what we're planning," Ptera says.

"I know she'd love to have one of your homemade cakes, but we'll have to order it from the bakery," John says.

"What kind of cake are we having?" Mike asks.

"Chocolate Strawberry Devil's' Food," Ptera answers.

"I want to make sure I didn't get Traci the same thing Y'all already gave her. What are Y'all giving her?" Zachary asks.

"Antonio is fixing her Vihuela. I got her a charm bracelet," Emily says.

"I got her and Itunes gift card," Mike answers.

"Kevin and I, put our money together and bought her an art set. Since she told us that she loved to draw and paint," Mia says.

"I took her locket to the jewelry store to have it fixed after a seagull mistook it for food," Jayden says.

"What did you get her son," John asks.

"I got the sheet music for one of the songs from one one her favorite movies when she was little- Lion King 2," Zachary answers.

Meanwhile, Traci is walking around the forest. She sits down on a rotten log a few feet in front of her to take a short break then looks up to the sky.

"Aunt Adrienne, I know that I'd be more in the mood to party if you still were here," Traci says.

She looks back down at her feet. Then hears a twig break like someone stepped on it. The silver ranger quickly stands up and activates the symbol for her sword to defend herself from whatever is approaching her. She gets ready to attack seeing Dayu walks up to her.

"What do you want Dayu?" Traci asks.

"I'm not here to fight you silver ranger. I'm sorry about what happened to your guitar," Dayu says.

"How did you know that those bullies broke my Vihuela? Were you spying on me?" Traci questions.

"Yes I was, and I sensed that your Vihuela meant as much to you as my Harmonium does to me," Dayu says.

"Do you just come here to rub it in my face that I should have tried harder to get the bullies to stop?" Traci asks.

"No, I thought you might want me to have one of Master Xandred's new nighlok pal can help you sneak your revenge on those bullies that hurt you," Dayu says.

Traci wanted the bullies to pay for the pain they caused her but was on the fence whether this was a good idea or not. Then her morpher goes off, and she sees Dayu heading back to the Netherworld through a gap.

"Consider my offer Silver Ranger," Dayu says.

Back in the city, Splitface, a Nighlok who steals spirits, attacks a business person and several other citizens taking their souls. Splitface quickly takes down Mike, Antonio, Mia, Jayden, Kevin. The Nighlok is about to take Emily's spirit Traci runs over to her and pushes her out of the way. Then takes Traci's spirit.

"Traci," Emily shouts.

Emily runs over to Traci. She sets down her sword and picks up Traci holding the silver ranger close to her to keep Traci safe.

"I wanted the yellow ranger's spirit, but she will do," Splitface says.

He mocks the other Rangers, and tells them that they only have twenty-four hours to defeat him or Traci and 54 other people, who he stole spirits from, will be asleep forever. Splitface then tells them he is going back to the Netherworld and is never coming back.

The next morning, Traci's Birthday, in her room. Emily spent the night looking after her. She dabs a damp cloth on her forehead. John walks in and offers to take over that way Emily could get some breakfast.

"Hang in there sweetheart, I know your friends will save you," John says kissing her on the forehead.

He sees her eyes flutter as he sits back down in the chair. He calls,"Everyone Traci is awake," The Rangers along with Ji runs into the room. John hands Traci a glass of water.

"Hey, everyone you don't have to pretend that I'm okay. I know I'm not," Traci says.

"Why did you take that hit for me," Emily asks.

Traci tries to answers Emily's question but slowly starts to fall back to sleep. The Rangers head back to where they first battle Splitface.

"I wish I knew why Traci let the nighlok take her spirit instead of mine," Emily says.

"We'll find out after we beat this nighlok," Jayden says.

"How the nighlok said it won' t leave the netherworld," Mia says.

Suddenly, Antonio appears saying he knows how to save Traci and everyone else. The Rangers use their symbol power to activate Claw Zord, and summon the Nighlok. Splitface can't use his special power, Body Swarm, because Antonio marked him. Antonio uses Claw Zord to defeat Splitface and return the spirits because without his plan they'd never be able to bring the nighlok out of the Netherworld.

The team walks through the front gate and see Traci standing on the front porch. She walks down the stairs just as Antonio runs up and gives her a big hug before picking her up and spinning her around.

"Traci, I'm glad that you're okay," Antonio says

'Me too," Traci says.

"Traci, why did you let the nighlok take you spirit in place of mine," Emily asks.

'I knew if your spirit got taken, Emily. We wouldn't have a megazord, and everyone would be in big trouble when the mega monster showed up," Traci answers.

After dinner, Traci walks down the hallway to the living room. She looks around and sees the "Happy Birthday Traci" banner on the wall to her right. Then her friends and family jump out and shout "Surprise, Happy Birthday" as they toss confetti into the air.

"I can't believe Y'all we able to do this so quick," Traci says.

Antonio walks over to her and says, "We did a lot of help from your family," Traci is trying not to cry because this is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for her. They walk over to the table, and Traci sits down. Antonio cover her eyes so her Uncle could pick up the cake off the other table to put it in front of her.

"A birthday party isn't complete without a cake," Antonio says removing his hands.

Traci's eyes light up seeing her favorite cake in front of her. "Aunt Ptera did you make it?"

"Sorry, Darling, we got it from the bakery," Ptera answers.

"Come on Cuz, blow out the candles before it becomes inedible due to being covered in candle wax," Zachary chuckles before she closes her eyes takes a deep breath and blows out the candles. After everyone had some cake, Jayden hands Traci his present. She smiles after opening the small box and seeing what's inside.

"You got my locket fixed, thank you Jayden," Traci says putting back where it belongs around her neck.

"You're welcome," Jayden says.

Four presents and thank yous later, it was time for Antonio to give Traci his gift. He leaves and asks Zachary to cover Traci's eyes again. Antonio returns and sets the Vihuela case down in front of Traci. He nods and Zachary removes his hands.

"Antonio, did you do what I think you did?" Traci asks tearfully seeing the Vihuela case in front of her.

"Open the case and find out," Antonio answers.

Traci slowly puts her fingers on the latches and flips up the lid. Tears of joy stream down her face seeing her Vihuela. Now it has her name painted underneath the fretboard along with two roses painted on the top corners of the body. She takes it out after attaching the shoulder strap to it. Everyone sees a huge smile on her face as she starts to tune it.

"Antonio, it's beautiful, I don't know how to thank you," Traci says.

"Traci, those tears of joy and seeing you smile is reward enough for me," Antonio says.

"Antonio do you think we could sing a song?" Traci asks.

"Sure which song?" Antonio answers.

Traci stands up and walks over to where she and Antonio have enough room to perform. Antonio smiles hearing her starting to play "Love is an Open Door," Throughout the song the others smiles watching them dancing and listening to their voices blend perfectly when they sing the chorus. They clap when they finish Traci walks back over to the case to put her Vihuela away.

"So, cuz, are you and Antonio a couple or not?" Zachary asks.

Traci walks back over to Antonio and sets her head on his shoulder. Antonio puts his arm around Traci and pulls her closer to him.

"Yes, we are. I'm sorry everyone. I should have told Y'all sooner, but I wanted to make sure that nothing would go wrong," Traci says.

"I'm happy for you sweetheart," John says.

"Thanks, Uncle John, so what about you guys," Traci asks.

"I think you guys are a perfect couple, I'm all for it," Emily says.

"Same here," Mia adds.

Traci watches the boys and Ji nod confidently. Another big smile appears on her face before Antonio kisses her forehead.

Antonio fixed my vihuela, and everyone is okay with Antonio and me being a couple. I guess telling them about my birthday wasn't such a bad idea after all. Traci thinks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Chapter 22: Seeing Daisuke Again​

AN: Only more three chapters left.
    Normal POV

Traci and Antonio are taking a hike through the forest holding hands after they said goodbye to Traci's family at the airport.

"So, your family from Texas was nice," Antonio says.

"I know, the summer I spent there was one of my favorites," Traci says.

A few seconds later their morphers ring and they run off to where the others the city, several more Giant Moogers arrive, with one of them destroying a nearby building causing panic in the crowd, the Rangers head to the place. They count six Giant Moogers and go on Megamode. Antonio gets Clawzord and Octozord to join in the fight. The regular Rangers then go into the Battlewing Megazord, while Antonio combines Clawzord and Octozord. Traci calls for her zords too. After fighting the regular ground Moogers, flying Moogers come in to join, and the Battlewing Megazord does quick work on them. Then they use their Katana power, Final Strike, to destroy the remaining Giant Moogers.

The Rangers (except Antonio) arrive at the Tengen Gate. They stop by the memorial for the first samurai ranger team battled the Nighlok.

"I remember now. My mom told that Sanzu River flooded the city." Traci says.

"Right, the Rangers won because they never gave up," Jayden says.

"The story also said that the Green Ranger was a prankster," Daisuke says.

"Well. Mike that explains a lot about your personality," Traci says.

"Hey," Mike snaps.

"The Green Ranger's antics drove the Blue Ranger crazy," Daisuke says.

"They still were best friends," Traci says.

"That is correct Traci," Daisuke says.

"Traci, how does the elder guardian know your name?" Kevin asks.

"Remember, I said that I visited Panorama City when I was five. My mom and I came here first to get my mom's morpher." Traci answers.

"Right, shall we get started?" Daisuke says.

The group but Traci follow the younger guardian down the sidewalk. Traci looks back over at the monument. Daisuke walks over to her and places his hand on her shoulder."You have told them about your learning disability have you?"

"No, Daisuke I haven't. Wait, you know that I'm Dyslexic?" Traci says.

"Yes, your mom sent me a letter explaining everything that has happened since the divorce." Daisuke answers.

"They maybe my friends now, but I'm just not ready to tell them yet," Traci says.

Arachintor and his group of Moogers sneak onto the Tengen Gate. The junior gives them something to drink, and then Traci take a sip, they fall to the ground, and telling the others that the drink is poisoned.

A Senior guardian then comes and tells Daisuke that the Nighlok are attacking the Tengen Gate. Moogers attack the guardians, and Octoroo pops up. Daisuke reminds the Nighlok that they were defeated here once, and will be defeated again. Octoroo then attempts to attack him, but the Junior Guardian jumps in Octoroo's way and is badly hurt. He then tries to attack Daisuke, but Traci tells Octoroo not to hurt them. In the courtyard, the others fight off the Moogers.

Meanwhile, Octoroo then intervenes and forces Traci to give up her penguin disk. One of the Rangers then alerts Antonio, who is busy serving fish to Deker, to go to the Tengen Gate. Deker is curious, and instead of eating the fish as Antonio said, follows him.

The four other Rangers are busy fighting Arachnitor when Antonio comes, who throws knives at Arachnitor. Kevin then tells him to go help Jayden, on which Arachnitor comments that "he comes to help you, and you tell him to go away?" and fights the other Rangers with ease. They all are defeated quickly, and he disappears. Meanwhile, Octoroo tells Traci all she has to do is give up power disc, and he'll give her the antidote. A few seconds later she sees Antonio run up, Then he morphs and fights Octoroo, who says that this is a "private" conversation. Deker then comes and finds out that the fisherman, Antonio, is the Gold Ranger. Deker then intervenes and takes Traci with him.

"Hey, come back here with my girlfriend," Antonio shots.

Octoroo disappears behind a gap to the Netherworld, and Antonio goes back to check on the other Rangers. He finds them badly wounded and calls Mentor to get them help.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Ch 23: Antonio's Rescue Mission​
    Normal POV

Deker wades through a lake. He drops Traci into the water. The silver ranger instantly wakes up when she feels the water hit her skin. She coughs to clear her lungs then looks up to see Deker standing in front of her.

"Why were you trying to drown me?" Traci asks.

"I wasn't trying to drown you. The water in this lake will purge Octoroo's poison from your body." Deker answers.

Traci takes a deep breath before she goes back underneath the water. She swims around for ten minutes before Deker helps her out of the lake to a nearby cave. Meanwhile, at the Shiba House, Antonio and Mentor are standing outside the recovery room.

"Man, they got banged up by Archinator," Antonio says.

"Yes, the nighlok continue to get stronger as the Sanzu River leaks into our world," Ji says.

They head to the living room. Ji hands the black box to Antonio. He sits down on a chair and takes the lid off the case that has the Black Box inside.

"We need you to program this as soon as you can," Ji says.

"But the first Samurai Red Ranger couldn't finish this," Antonio says.

"Yes, it will be tough since you don't have mastery of symbol power like the others. We believe that you can do it because of you high-tech skills." Ji says.

"But Traci is still out there I need to rescue her," Antonio argues.

"Antonio, you need to focus on the task at hand," Ji says.

Back in the cave, Traci tries to stand up. A few seconds later she drops back down to the cave floor since her body refused any movement. She rolls onto her side to look over at Deker.

"The lake water healed you, but you need to take it easy while your body recovers its strength," Deker says.

"So, Deker, why did you help me?" Traci asks.

"You're a lot like me," Deker answers.

"I'm not like you Deker." Traci snaps.

"Yes, you are," Deker says.

"What do you mean?" Traci asks.

"You're keeping a secret from the other Rangers. That proves that you're evil just like me," Deker says.

"It does not. I'm just not ready to tell the others about my learning disability that's all. So do you want to duel me or did you save me just to distract the other Rangers." Traci says.

Antonio's POV

I finish formatting the black box. A few seconds later I feel myself start to fall. I catch myself on the chair in front of me. I blink a few times to shake off the dizzy spell. After I recover, the gap sensor goes off. Then I hear the others run in.

"You need to be resting," Ji says.

"We can't rest when people are in trouble," Jayden says.

"You guys can handle the nighlok. I'll go rescue Traci from Deker," I say.

"No, Antonio you need to finish programming the black box," Ji argues.

"I can't finish it now. The team needs to use their power discs to fight the nighlok," I say.

I see the others take out their power discs out of their pockets then hand them to me. "Are you sure that you'll be able to fight the nighlok without these?"

"We'll do our best Buddy," Jayden says

"You're the only person who can program the black box," Emily says.

"She is right, none can match your skills," Kevin says.

"Let's get going team," Jayden says.

Then the team jogs out of the room, "Be careful,"

"Don't worry about us; we'll be fine," Kevin shouts.

I put the black box on a pillow, place everyone's discs around it. I press a few keys on my morpher to start filling the black box with Jay's symbol power. Several small fire kanji float over to the Lion disc. Then a tiny lion zord comes out of it and jumps into the black box.

"One down and four more to go," Ji says.

I press the same button again, but this time, Mia's symbol appears on the screen. After her power is inside the box, I had a hard time adding Kevin's power to it since I didn't have enough strength left. I sit down in the chair next to me, clench my first and let a frustrated sigh.

"I'm sorry Ji, I don't have enough symbol power left to finish it," I say.

"It okay Antonio, I know you'll try again after you get your strength back," Ji says.

"I think I know how to find Traci though. I can piggyback on one of the global positioning satellites. Then use what's left of my light symbol to triangulate with Traci's samuraizer. " I say.

I smile when I see Traci's location on my screen. I stand up and turn to face mentor. "I know you need me to finish the black box, but I can't do that right now. Please. Let me go rescue Traci,"

"Just go, but take the other's power disc too," Ji says.

I nod, turn back around I put the power discs into my pocket before I run out of the room.

Normal POV

Traci quickly stands up when Deker walks over to her."Do you want to fight me now?"

"No, I need to find another worthy opponent to break my curse," Deker answers.

"So this curse apparently has something against a girl dueling you?" Traci asks.

"No, but I feel the Red Ranger would give me a better duel. You would be a fine sparring partner, though," Deker says.

Traci watches Deker transform in his nighlok form. Traci quickly takes out her sword and gets into a defensive stance.

"Ladies first," Deker says.

Then Antonio jumps in and gets in between them. "I don't think so Nighlok,"

"Antonio, how did you find me," Traci asks.

"I'll explain later. You're in no condition to fight the nighlok." Antonio says.

"Get out of my way fisherman. Your girlfriend agreed to be my sparring partner," Deker says.

"Even is she did. Why would you want to spar her when she is like this, nighlok?" Antonio asks.

"Just go, but know this I will duel the Red Ranger," Deker says.

Then Antonio tosses some dust towards the cave floor that teleports him and Traci out of the cave. After the team battled the mutant nighlok that escaped due to some giant moogers attacking the city. The team had to use the Megazord to fight them. They head back to the house. Traci decided to stay at the house while the others went out get some pizzas. They return to find Traci sitting on the bench near the front porch.

Is keeping my Dyslexia a secret from the others mean that I'm evil, Traci thinks.

Traci turns around and sees her friends walk up.

"Hey, are you okay?" Emily asks.

"Yeah, being kidnapped by a nighlok must have been scary," Jayden says.

"It wasn't that scary since I was unconscious when Deker kidnapped me. I'm fine, really, so what are Y'all going to do now?" Traci answers.

"We were going to eat dinner and try to come with a new plan to fight these new nighloks." Jayden answers.

Traci gets up, and the group walks inside the house. She and Antonio let the others go inside so they could talk privately.

"Antonio, thanks for rescuing me," Traci says.

"You're welcome," Antonio says.

"You never told me how you located me," Traci says.

"I used my light symbol power and piggybacked off a global positioning satellite," Antonio says.

"How about we head inside before Mile eats all the pizza," Traci says.

Antonio nods. He laces his fingers in between hers, and they walk into the house.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Ch 24: Traci's Dream Apology​

Normal POV

At the Shiba House, the Rangers except for Traci and Antonio are training. A few minutes Traci walks outside wearing a dress with a flower print skirt with a jean jacket over it, and a pair of cowboy boots. She stands on the sidewalk and looks over at her friends.

"Hey, Traci, how come you're not training with us?" Kevin asks.

"It's my turn to make dinner. Since Antonio is working so hard on the black box, I want to make something special for him. I'm heading to the store," Traci answers.

"What are we having?" Mike asks.

"Mexican Chicken Casserole," Traci answers.

Traci leaves her friends so they can train.

At the Sanzu River, Master Xandred lectures Dayu on her failure to destroy Deker. He breaks her Harmonium and orders her to forget her past. She leaves the netherworld to find someone to repair her instrument. Dayu sees a musician and plans to capture him. Traci watches the scene and morphs into action. Rhinosnorus enters the scene. Dayu refuses to return to Master Xandred. The Rangers confront the Nighlok as Dayu exists the scene with the musician. The team faces off against the Nighlok while Traci follows Dayu. Antonio races the fight. Rhinosnorus takes the opportunity and blasts him with the smoke from the steamer on his arm. After he puts Antonio to sleep, the Nighlok leaps into an interdimensional portal to chase after Dayu. In the forest, the Silver Ranger and Dayu's battle is interrupted by the Nighlok. Master Ji informs Jayden about the Dream Spell - the victims start having beautiful dreams, but Rhinosnorous eats his dreaming victims in the Dream World, ultimately killing them. The Rangers must enter the Dream World to save everyone from being consumed.

Jayden plans to use his Symbol Power to enter the Dream World. In the forest, Traci dreams about cooking a meal for her mom and dad. Back in the city, the Rangers use Jayden's portal to get Kevin and Mike in the Dream World. They find Antonio, who admires his fish award after winning the fishing tournament. The Rangers try to warn Antonio, but their attempts fail as he is too busy enjoying his dream. Mike and Kevin morph into action to face off against the Nighlok, who has an advantage in the Dream World. Green Ranger has an idea to use the world for their benefit. He grows in his large form to kick the boulder back.

Meanwhile, in the forest, Traci continues to dream. Her father gets up from the table and walks over to her.

"Traci, I'm sorry for the way I treated you when you were little." Her father says.

Then Traci smiles when he gives her a hug. She hugs him back."I'm so glad we're a family again,"

"So, am I sweetheart," Her father says.

Traci is unaware that Dayu is watching the scene play out from the doorway. Back in Reality, the Blue and Green Rangers work together to knock out the Nighlok. The Musician wakes up and retreats. Kevin fires the Hydro Bow, but the Nighlok leaves the scene. Jayden watches as Antonio wakes up. Octoroo sees his opportunity to get Jayden and his Sealing Power. Rhinosnorus grows to his Mega monster form. Antonio and Jayden morph into action. The two Rangers summon the Lion and Claw Zords. The zords face off against the Nighloks and Giant Moogers. After a brief battle, Claw Zords performs its finishing attack to defeat the remaining Moogers. Traci wakes up in the forest.

"So, silver ranger, you're holding on to the hope that your father will apologize to you," Dayu says.

"Yes, that's all I want from him," Traci says.

"What about your parents getting back together," Dayu asks.

"I know that won't happen. My mom had tried dating other men to find me a stepfather," Traci answers.

Back in the city, Deker sees his opportunity to challenge Jayden.

In the forest, Dayu attacks Mia and Emily after they show up to protect Traci and walks away. At the warehouse, Deker confronts Jayden and Antonio. The swarm of Moogers enters the scene. Deker transforms into his Nighlok form and defeats the Moogers. Knowing Jayden is still weak, Antonio tries to stop Deker, but he challenges Jayden to a personal duel. Jayden says that he cannot accept the challenge as he is a samurai who protects the innocent. However, Deker tells Jayden that if he doesn't take the challenge, then he will harm random civilians. With this, Jayden accepts the challenge and gives him 24 hours to rest. Deker instructs Jayden to meet at the beach.

At the Shiba House, Antonio makes tea for Traci. She sits down at the table. Antonio walks over hands her a cup before sitting down.

"I'm starting to think that I should just give up on my father ever showing up to apologize to me." Traci sighs.

"Come on angel, don't say that. Maybe he could be afraid to face his demons, that's all," Antonio says.

Mike invites them to the meeting about Jayden's duel. Jayden informs his friends about the challenge. Kevin is furious about Jayden's decision and fails to convince him to decline the challenge as a samurai does not fight unnecessary battles. Mia stands up for Jayden and tells them that he doesn't have a choice. A frustrated Jayden leaves the room to end the conversation Kevin helps Jayden to train against Deker The rest of the gang drink tea in the dining room.

In the morning, Jayden wakes up and heads outside, where his friends give their blessings. Jayden hands leadership of the Samurai Rangers to Traci.

"Are you sure about this Jayden," Traci asks.

"Yes, I am Traci. I know you can handle this," Jayden says.

He also gives Traci the Tiger and Beetle discs in case they need to form the Megazord. She leads the Rangers into battle as Rhinosnorus begins his attack. The Rangers morph into action to face off against the Nighlok. Jayden meets Deker at the beach and faces off in the ultimate duel.

In the city, the Rangers continue their fight against Rhinosnorus and the Moogers. Kevin defeats the Nighlok, who grows in this Mega Mode. He takes the lead to form the Samurai Megazord. After a brief battle, the Megazord defeated Rhinosnorous. Antonio watches the fight from below. Jayden and Deker continue their fight as neither can gain the upper hand. In a final move, Deker strikes Jayden critically, but Jayden drops the Spin Sword and grabs it with his left hand, landing a slash on Deker. Deker feels honored from his defeat as he falls from the cliff. An injured Jayden demorphs and takes in the fact that he won.

A few hours later, Jayden and Trac are standing on the platform near the barbecue area. She gives the discs back to him.

"Traci, thank you for leading the team while I battled Deker," Jayden says.

"You're welcome, but I'm not a leader. It's not my place on this team," Traci says.
    The End​

Last edited:
    Back