• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Death Parade

Aduitt

Confused
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    As much as it pains me to say it, anime such as Death Parade and Mushishi are a dying breed.
    Their unique storytelling lets us focus more or less on the people the main characters encounter rather than it being all about the protagonist. Because of this, anime with this layout have always intrigued me.
    Even so, I feel as though this isn't even the only reason I loved it. The pacing was similar to that of Terror in resonance yet it's art style reminded me of anime such Death Note and Gangsta.
    However, maybe their end is for the best.
    Another season would perhaps ruin the world anime such as Death Parade are set in. Take the newest episodes of My Hero Academia for instance. Season one and two were beautifully done with fantastic animation and brilliant pacing. Season three however has made me rethink the series as a whole as the anime as it has lost what made me love the show... character development (I will probably explain why I believe this in a separate thread).
    Shows like Death Parade are interesting because so much character development goes on that we will never see again, but it works. Episode one of Death Parade does what almost every other episode of the series does, introduces us to a new set of characters then kills them off. What makes this different from an anime such as say Naruto is that these disposable characters are treated as if the rest of the anime is going to be about them. In short, we grow attached to them. However, there is a limited to how many times this can be done. Look at anime such as Mushishi. Though I loved it, the end of the series became repetitive as the formula they had used was growing stale. I fear as thought the same would happen to Death Parade after a time.
    Just as Icarus flew too close to the sun, the creators of Death Parade may fly too close to this repetitiveness. If they didn't, the anime may end up being completely different to what it started out as.
    The pacing/formula that Death Parade uses only allows the two mentioned options to occur. It is a shame considering how well thought out Death Parade initially was.

Back