• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] GBA Intro Manager after adding more Pokémon

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2023
    I have expanded the rom and inserted more Pokémon. GBA Intro Manager is now neither showing any Pokémon names on the drop-down menu for Oak's Intro Pokémon nor on the one for the title screen cry.

Furthermore, Oak's intro Pokémon (previously changed to Psyduck) has returned to Nidoran(f), but has become a fully blacked-out silhouette instead of the usual coloured sprite.

Does anybody have any ideas? Would be much appreciated. I found a thread from someone with a similar issue, but they solved it on their own and didn't say how.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    As with all binary tools, GBA into manager is intended for vanilla data and you can't expect it to magically know about random large changes made outside the tool. You expanded pokemon -> the pokemon list was moved somewhere else in the rom -> GBA into manager can't find it anymore.
    There's no reason to use GBA into manager anymore anyway, HexManiacAdvance can do everything it does, so just use that. HMA will also not magically know how adapt to your pokemon expansion, but you can manually make it recognize the changes through its .toml file.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2023
    As with all binary tools, GBA into manager is intended for vanilla data and you can't expect it to magically know about random large changes made outside the tool. You expanded pokemon -> the pokemon list was moved somewhere else in the rom -> GBA into manager can't find it anymore.
    There's no reason to use GBA into manager anymore anyway, HexManiacAdvance can do everything it does, so just use that. HMA will also not magically know how adapt to your pokemon expansion, but you can manually make it recognize the changes through its .toml file.

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. I managed to get HMA to recognise my expanded Pokémon list without issue.

I am struggling, however, to figure out how to complete some of the functions in HMA that can be done in GBA Intro Manager. For example, how to change the Nidoran in Oak's speech to another Pokémon as GBA Intro Manager does. Would I have to find the offset for said Nidoran and manually change it in hex? And if so, would you happen to know what said offset is or, if not, how to find out?

Many thanks once more!

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Thank you for your response, much appreciated. I managed to get HMA to recognise my expanded Pokémon list without issue.

I am struggling, however, to figure out how to complete some of the functions in HMA that can be done in GBA Intro Manager. For example, how to change the Nidoran in Oak's speech to another Pokémon as GBA Intro Manager does. Would I have to find the offset for said Nidoran and manually change it in hex? And if so, would you happen to know what said offset is or, if not, how to find out?

Many thanks once more!

Most things in HMA can be found through the labels rather than having to go to numerical offsets. The Nidoran for example can be found at scripts.newgame.professor.pokemon. Simply change one of the green numbers there to whatever species ID you want and the entire system will be updated automatically. If scripts.newgame.professor.pokemon is not shown your rom, it means HMA doesn't understand what GBA intro manager did, but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2023
    Most things in HMA can be found through the labels rather than having to go to numerical offsets. The Nidoran for example can be found at scripts.newgame.professor.pokemon. Simply change one of the green numbers there to whatever species ID you want and the entire system will be updated automatically. If scripts.newgame.professor.pokemon is not shown your rom, it means HMA doesn't understand what GBA intro manager did, but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it

I figured it might be there! Unfortunately, when I click on scripts.newgame, professor.pokemon is not one of the options in the middle drop-down menu. I tested this with a clean FireRed rom and the same issue was occurring. So I assume either there's something up with my copy of HMA (I'm using v0.5.1) or I'm doing it wrong!

EDIT: I found it on the clean rom using the goto menu (didn't think of that at first), but it isn't showing up on my hacked one. It seems that HMA not understanding what GBA Intro Manager has done is the case and we may need to cross that bridge!

Last edited:

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I figured it might be there! Unfortunately, when I click on scripts.newgame, professor.pokemon is not one of the options in the middle drop-down menu. I tested this with a clean FireRed rom and the same issue was occurring. So I assume either there's something up with my copy of HMA (I'm using v0.5.1) or I'm doing it wrong!

EDIT: I found it on the clean rom using the goto menu (didn't think of that at first), but it isn't showing up on my hacked one. It seems that HMA not understanding what GBA Intro Manager has done is the case and we may need to cross that bridge!

Yeah, the goto menu is where you'd want to search for things. You can treat it as google for your rom.
    Alright, so HMA lost that constant, which makes sense since you mentioned Nidoran was just a silhouette, which means intro manager probably did something wrong. We'll have to edit it manually
    Let's forget about fixing the constant since it's just 3 values, and I don't think intro manager would have moved anything around here. These are the 3 offsets in firered 1.0 that need to be edited:
    0x12FB38
    0x130F40
    0x130F4C
    Go to those 3 offsets and change all of their values to the species ID in hex you want. We'll see if that's enough to fix it

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2023
    Yeah, the goto menu is where you'd want to search for things. You can treat it as google for your rom.
    Alright, so HMA lost that constant, which makes sense since you mentioned Nidoran was just a silhouette, which means intro manager probably did something wrong. We'll have to edit it manually
    Let's forget about fixing the constant since it's just 3 values, and I don't think intro manager would have moved anything around here. These are the 3 offsets in firered 1.0 that need to be edited:
    0x12FB38
    0x130F40
    0x130F4C
    Go to those 3 offsets and change all of their values to the species ID in hex you want. We'll see if that's enough to fix it

Apologies for the late response, I ended up temporarily rage-quitting haha. Didn't work I'm afraid. 2 of those offsets had a value of C9, and the other was some random value I don't remember (it was 1-something). I changed the odd one out to C9 expecting it to change to the Pokemon with that species ID (by my calcs that would be Snubbull) but no, still the same old silhouetted Nidoran with the same old Nidoran cry unfortunately. Starting to get a little worried that the order in that I did things has resulted in a corrupted ROM...

Back