• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The best/worst parents

Years
The parents of trainers in the Pokemon world are notable primarily for their absence.

Who do you think stands out as a good parent or parental figure in the series. Norman, Delia Ketchum, Prof Birch, Cedric Juniper Mr. Stone, Grace, Johanna, someone else? An extended family member like Prof Oak or non-blood relation who looks after a kid like Looker or Drayden counts too.

Who is the worst parent? Giovanni? Brock's dad Flint? Lusamine? Ghetsis? James' parents? Ash's absent father? Got another parent in mind?

Do tell!

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Delia for supporting Ash all the way even though he has lost six league tournaments

Worst is Giovanni for neglecting Silver and ruining his childhood by being the leader of a criminal organization and causing him to despise the weak

Years
I have to give it up for Delia too. She is kind, vibrant and always there to cheer her boy on and support him emotionally and physically-- sending Ash supplies, cooking wonderful meals for him, giving Ash a place to stay and welcoming his friends. She is also one of the few adults in the pokemon world who shows realistic concern about the dangers of being a pokemon trainer. In the 3rd movie she even cares about and safeguards a lonely child who is not hers, Molly, even though Delia herself is in danger.

For the worst parents I'm going to say N's parents. By this I don't mean Ghetsis, but his biological parents. It may be hard to believe that I am defending Ghetsis, but Ghetsis was at least not related to N by blood and not obligated to take care of N morally or legally. N's actual parents were the ones who had this responsibility. They are the ones who abandoned their little boy out in the cold to die. Ghetsis was just a stranger who happened by and found N. Yes, Ghetsis was verbally abusive and kept N sheltered from the world in their castle. But his real parents cared *even less* and whatever bad things Ghetsis did would not have even happened to begin with had N's real parents not rejected N at birth.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
I have to give it up for Delia too. She is kind, vibrant and always there to cheer her boy on and support him emotionally and physically-- sending Ash supplies, cooking wonderful meals for him, giving Ash a place to stay and welcoming his friends. She is also one of the few adults in the pokemon world who shows realistic concern about the dangers of being a pokemon trainer. In the 3rd movie she even cares about and safeguards a lonely child who is not hers, Molly, even though Delia herself is in danger.

For the worst parents I'm going to say N's parents. By this I don't mean Ghetsis, but his biological parents. It may be hard to believe that I am defending Ghetsis, but Ghetsis was at least not related to N by blood and not obligated to take care of N morally or legally. N's actual parents were the ones who had this responsibility. They are the ones who abandoned their little boy out in the cold to die. Ghetsis was just a stranger who happened by and found N. Yes, Ghetsis was verbally abusive and kept N sheltered from the world in their castle. But his real parents cared *even less* and whatever bad things Ghetsis did would not have even happened to begin with had N's real parents not rejected N at birth.
Really?I thought that he was his REAL parent. I didnt know that he adpoted him, thanks for sharing that

Years
Really?I thought that he was his REAL parent. I didnt know that he adpoted him, thanks for sharing that

You're welcome!

N's life is so mysterious, and I think most people do think Ghetsis is N's father. The BW games present it this way, and it isn't revealed that he is not as a plot device in BW2, but there is some really obscure NPC dialogue in BW2 if you search hard. I think in Rood's house if you go over and talk to Concordia (the blonde NPC in the back) after you get the Zorua she will reveal a secret to you. If you click on her sister I don't think it will be the same dialogue.

*grabs magnifying glass and searches through Bulbapedia*

Eureka, here it is!

"N was an orphan. I heard that right after he was born, he upset people with behavior that suggested he could talk to Pokémon. When he was living in the woods with Darmanitan and Zorua, Ghetsis took him in. We are also orphans Ghetsis took in. Our task was to take care of N." -Concordia

Last edited:

Guest123123

I wouldn't say that Ghetsis deserves any more credit than N's biological parents. Ghetsis didn't take N in because he didn't want to see a child go abandoned and unloved. He took N in to use him for his plans, and when those plans failed, he showed his true colors and called N a freak without a human heart, which sounds like the exact mindset of the ones who abandoned him in the first place. Ghetsis is a narcissist and a megalomaniac (and by far my least favorite Pokemon character).

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Delia is clearly the best one.

As for the worst...don't even get me started on your mother in Gen VII, who's too lazy to even pack, Giovanni, or Ghetsis. Mohn would have been good if only he remembered he had children.

Last edited:
Years
I'm gonna give a shout-out to James' parents too. I think there are some parents who are even worse in the series, but if this was a top 5 of worst Pokemon parents I'd probably give them the 4th or 5th slot, reserving the higher spots for Ghetsis, Lusamine, Giovanni etc.

James parents as shown in Holy Matrimony appear to be insane. They are just divorced from reality, blithely sipping tea as their son is forced into an arrange marriage to a woman who could probably become a serial killer if she isn't already. They stand by and enable him to be physically and probably sexually assaulted as Jessebelle literally tortures him. No, they go even further, demanding that he agree to this marriage under penalty of disinheritance. The abuse was so bad that James would rather lose everything than suffer on their estate, and chose a life in crime with Team Rocket. So I said all that to say that they need a little more recognition as bad parents.

Years
Best parents would be Guildmaster Wigglytuff's parents from the 2nd special episode in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of the Sky. How often do you actually see parent's' (plural) in the pokemon games? Furthermore, a family that is loving and actually working? Both the parents show a lot of concern for their oddball son and also show a sweet happiness with each other which I feel hasn't quite been replicated in Pokemon since then.

Worst would be Ghetsis for reasons already covered.

Back