• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overwatch: Culture in items!

Pure Essence

Reverb, Resound, and Repeat!
Years
  • So, here's the deal with this. We can look at a character's skins, sprays, emotes, ect. and determine culture for that character's country. Here's an example and a starter.

Mercy's Winged Victory skin may look out of place considering she's from Switzerland. It looks more like something from Greece or Rome. And while skins can reference other cultures then the character's home one, like Pharah's Thunderbird and Raindancer skins (Unless she is part Canadian). But Winged Victory has more to it. I mentioned it looked like it came straight out of ancient Greece or Rome. Rome is in Italy. And guess what one of the official languages for Switzerland is? Italian. Mercy could very well have been part of the Italian speaking part of her home country, since the only lines she speaks are English.

Last edited by a moderator:

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • I think you're forgetting about all of Mercy's German voice lines, as well as her noticeable German accent. xD

You're not wrong, though. Pharah's thought to be half-Canadian, as one of the comics (last year's Christmas comic, I don't remember the name) showed her having dinner with a man, who is thought to be her father, with a TV in the background showing an ice hockey match and the Canadian flag (and also because of her Thunderbird/Raindancer skins). Roadhog's Islander skins show us that he's probably a New Zealander rather than an Australian like Junkrat. Reaper's Mariachi skin suggests that he's at least part Mexican, despite being born in America and having no Spanish voice lines.

As for Winged Victory, because it's a Summer Games skin, I think it might be a reference to the Greek origin of the Olympics rather than Mercy's culture.

Back