• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Featured: PokéCommunity Create-A-Region Project!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • what's this?

Hey guys! This is a community project we started on Discord yesterday, and now we're making a thread to discuss and document our progress. Basically, the idea is to work together to create a Pokémon region - which means writing lore, backstory, describing areas, cities, and people of interest. If you want to help out, I'd recommend you hop on the #project-create-a-region channel on PC Discord!

things to note

- We're not doing this for a ROM hack or a fangame! Don't worry about designing game aspects, that's not the goal here. We're just focusing on a region for the sake of making one, not to put it into a game.

- This isn't a team. Anyone is allowed to come by at any time and contribute. There are no leaders either - we're all deciding on this as equals. I'll be around to update the info in this post if needed, and you can contact myself or Hands in Discord if you need something pinned there, but we're not actually running the show.

current update (2)

We did a vote and decided on our islands and regis list!

Mexico/Ghost
    Germany/Grass
    Greece/Water
    Egypt/Psychic
    Philippines/Dark

We need to sort out a fakemon legendary for each island, probably something rooted in the mythology of its base country. Also gotta figure out the Regis in more detail - types are done but we need names and designs.

I made a list of the number of cities per island, loosely based on their real population, though with a big boost to Greece so it doesn't end up tiny. How does this sound?

Mexico: 6 (10th pop)
    Philippines: 6 (13th pop)
    Egypt: 5 (14th pop)
    Germany: 5 (16th pop)
    Greece: 3 (82nd pop)

Stuff to consider for each island
    Island name:
    Island regi name:
    Island regional legendary:
    Island climate:
    Island Pokémon: (I figure it would be easier to just come up with a list of around ~30 Pokemon per island and combine them into a dex. Overlapping is allowed. Feel free to make regional forms, but probably no more than ~10 per island max. All Pokemon should obviously match the island's climate and animals that inhabit that real-life area.)
    Island lore:
    Island features: (mountains, caves, lakes, special buildings)

older updates (out of date)

Spoiler: Update 1
    The project has begun! Our initial idea for the region was to do an archipelago of 5 islands, each based on a real-life country or area. We also wanted to give each island a Regi based on the area - the three official Regis and two fakemon. The idea is that the islands were originally one island ruled over by Regigigas, but (for reasons we haven't decided yet =p ) it was split into 5 islands, each carrying one of Regigigas's children. Here's the island plan so far.

- Latin America - Reginferno
    - Northern Europe - Registeel
    - Greece - Regisea
    - Egypt - Regirock
    - Siberia - Regice

In addition, we would create a custom fakemon legendary based on mythos of each island.
    Each island would, to some extent, mirror the culture and history of the real-world area it's based on.
    The list is still up for debate, feel free to suggest alternatives.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Regiflame works better than Reginferno. I get the whole idea of sharing the letter i, but I think inferno is just weirdly long compared to the other endings (all one syllable words).

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I agree with the name of Reginferno. It sounds more special than the other regi because of the syllable count but it is not.

Also, why not create 5 different new regis specifically molded into the region itself? This could give us better lore-geography coordination and good basis for a regi. For example, we could specify latin america more to Mexico and Northern europe to Germany maybe as references so we're more coherent since we're basing the other three to countries rather than geographical regions.

Might I suggest?

Mexico- a regi of the mountain, a ground type since mexico has two prominent mountain ranges.
    Germany- a regi of the forest, a grass type for the forested uplands in the country
    Greece- a regi of the sea (yeah regisea sounds good), since greece is primarily a seaside country
    Egypt- a regi of the pyramids, a psychic type or ghost type since mummies do exist in egypt or regiflame

also I couldn't think of a regi for siberia that isn't regice. Why not use Australia and use a regi of the poison-types since there are many dangerous critters around the area.

hope this goes well. Will be participating here as it sounds so much fun. :)

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I personally like the regis. I want a regisea as a water type user. I also like the idea of islands with each one being different.

Years
  • This idea is fantastic. I really liked it.

Well, taking part in the discussion...
    I agree with focusing on countries rather than whole geographical areas, and I also like Mexico and Germany for this. Maybe there could be some touchs of other countries, like specifical locations based on other countries, let's say, Machu Picchu at the top of some mountain (it's just an example).

About the Regis, I prefer the original ones. I really liked the first distribution of Regis and based areas (with the changes from bigger areas to countries).

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • we've made a strawpoll to try and sort out the island/regi options that have been discussed. i'll leave this up for a day or so and then we'll go from there, because we could be discussing possibilities for a very long time haha.

[poll over]

the winner was Mexico/Ghost, Germany/Grass, Greece/Water, Egypt/Psychic, Philippines/Dark

Last edited:

jombii

Years
  • So I guess, I'll be starting to throw some concepts about the Philippine Islands.

Regi (dark): Regivoid, Regidusk, Regidark, Regishade
    Fakemon Legendary:

Something based off of from the aswang: a ghoulish entity with mishmash of abilities of the vampire, a witch, a werewolf, etc. Commonly they are shape-shifters, appearing as either a man/woman during the day, and transforming to an animal during the night (like a bat, or a wild boar)

It fits if we're going for the dark theme for the island, I think this will make a good legendary.

Years
  • Hello! I will suggest a few things for Greece!

First, about the Water type Regi, I think Regisea is a cool name. Here, in Greece there is a sunken city named Pavlopetri, it's about 5,000 years old and it's the oldest in the Mediterranean so maybe Regisea will be in underwater town/city just like this city.

Now, about the fakemon legendary. As you probably know, Greece had many many mythology creatures, I'm thinking that Hydra is the best one to use. However I really the idea of using Phoenix too.

If someone has a different idea, please post it here, I would love to see it and discuss it!

Years
  • Now, about the updated OP. It would be awesome if Greece could have more than 3 cities but if it's based on real life population then it's good! So I'm going to post some more thoughts about the Greek based island.

Island name: Hydor, Hydor is the Greek word for water so I guess it makes sense

Island regi name: Regisea sounds good to me

Island regional legendary: It could be a fakemon Hydra or Phoenix I guess. If we don't use a fakemon, maybe we can have a Kyogre (because of sea), or Thundurus (because of Zeus)

Island climate: Obviously Mediterranean climate. To make it simplier, in summer that means sunny and dry weather during the day, and the air is hot. Also heatwaves usually occur. However, the climate in winter the exact opposite. Wet and cold air, and snowy too. I guess it's better to use the summer climate.

Island Pok?mon: Many pokemon will be based on the climate and biomes. So I suggest Riolu, Lucario, Tediursa, Ursaring (as mountain Pokemon). Tirtouga, Carracosta, Kabuto, Kabutops, Aerodactyl (because of ancient Greece, you'll be able to find fossils). Also, for snowy areas we can have Snover, Abomasnow, Swinub, Piloswine, Mamoswine, Vulpix and Ninetales (alola form). About the Pokemon in sea, we can use Chinchou, Lanturn, Mantyke, Mantine, Carvanha, and Sharpedo. (We can use more ofc but I left some in case we want to make some regional forms or something)

Island features: We can have a mountain similar to Olympus. It will have snow and the Pokemon I wrote before can live there.

If someone doesn't agree with something, feel free to tell me!

jombii

Years
  • now let's see about this.

Island name: Dilim (Filipino word for Darkness) or Likha (which means to create)

Island regi name: Regishade

Island regional legendary: Something similar to the aswang: a ghoulish entity with mishmash of abilities of the vampire, a witch, a werewolf, etc. Commonly they are shape-shifters, appearing as either a man/woman during the day, and transforming to an animal during the night (like a bat, or a wild boar)

Island climate: cycles between drizzle and drought lol.

Island Pok?mon: Not using fakemon, I see the Pidgey line, Rattata line, Mankey line, Poliwag line, Exeggcute line, Tangela, Tauros, Spinarak line, Sudowoodo, Heracross, Wurmple line, Barboach, Corpish, Duskull, Croagunk, Tympole, Sewaddle, Skiddo, Inkay, Phantump, Oricorio, Rockruff, among others.

Island lore: none as of the moment.

Island features: Rice Terraces. Underwater Cave.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I'll just put this out there for fun. For the Egyptian island.

Island name: Pyram (from pyramid,)
    Island regi name: Regiglyph
    Island regional legendary: A Fakemon based on the Sphinx?
    Island climate: Dry, desert - heat during day, chilly at night.
    Island Pok?mon: Those suitable for the desert, with some river Pokemon. Felines would be popular Pokemon to keep. Also there will be tombs based on the Pharaohs so a lot of Psychic and Ghost. I'm not really thinking of fakemon but one based on scarab beetles maybe? Suggestions: Ekans line, Meowth line, Geodude line, Gligar line, Houndour line, Baltoy line, Cacnea line, Yamask line, Trapinch line, Duskull line, Lampent line, Sigilyph, Sandile line, Hippopotas line, Clauncher line, Helioptile line, Litleo line, Eelektrik line, Litten line.
    Island lore: Stone monuments built in honour of people and Pokemon?
    Island features: Plains, desert, a big river down the middle. Societies of people live underground. Large tombs with treasures to explore.

Please feel free to share more ideas!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I read that Lucario may have some relation to Anubis (egyptian god) so Riolu could be found in the Egypt isand.

tobyjoey

place text here
    Years
  • Here are a couple ideas for Germany:

Welcome to the Wachstum Island!
    Regi Guardian: Regimoss
    A Dragon/Poison Wyvern/Serpent based Pokemon, based on Germanic depictions of Dragons.
    Wachstum is temperate, if not slightly warm in the North, and progressively colder and snowier as you head South into mountains.
    Wachstum Pokemon could consist of including the Swanna Line, Sharpedo Line, Seismitoad Line, Staraptor Line, Roserade Line, Liligant Line, Yanmega Line, Diggersby Line, Trevanent Line, Aegislash Line, Granbull Line, Magmortar Line, Mamoswine Line, and Cryogonal.

Of the 5 cities, 2 would be small and village-esque, 2 would be more town or city sized, and 1, roughly based on Berlin, would be the largest (maybe slightly smaller than Castelia City), named Von Neuem City, meaning anew. Landmarks would include:
    Grim Estate: An old author's property exploding with folklore, attracting trainers.
    Torn Wall: Small scraps of structure still remain in the middle of the grand Von Neuem City.
    Mount Zugspitze: The tallest point of the Wachstum Mountain Range. A trolley is needed to ascend to the top.
    Tapferkeit Museum: A tribute to Wachstum's history, and a reflection on its bloodshed.

In the far gone past, Wachstum was known for internal conflcits. Although Wachstum has been unified for quite some time, the island has not known peace. With the surrounding islands more developed, Wachstum struggled to obtain respect from its neighbors. In a conquest for power and dominance, the island fought with its neighbors, but only succeeded in bringing foreign invasion to Wachstum. The island was held under foreign control for a short time, but regained independence, and managed to create peace with its neighbors. Although there is no more warfare in the region, there are some tensions between the older generations, who still idolize force and extreme pride, and the newer generation, who largely desire to stop all fighting and focus on pure progress. Although these tensions make political discussion passionate, both sides are still caring for their island and each other, making Wachstum a very hospitable region.

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Hello... I'm sharing some thoughts on this project (as suggested on the discord channel) so that maybe we can revive the thread

[Embrujada] It's a bit farther away from the others, and I'd say for good reason. I don't know if anything good goes around there anymore.
    How it was in the past was that the remaining people on that island starting to weep for the loss of their loved ones. After much discussion and debate amongst each other on how they should start over, a decision was finally reached: They would use this island exclusively to preserve and pay tributes to their dead. The entire island's culture is very spiritual -- you do not speak ill of the dead period, for they are ALWAYS watching -- if you do, you get cursed.
    First, nice job on the lore and on the description of this island! However, I find it a bit weird that the culture of the island's people was something they chose themselves. If anything, it's the Regis who shape the culture of their own island, aren't they?

Here are also some ideas for this island (even though I live so far away from there and don't know much about Mexico)
    Island regi name: Regialm (from "alma", soul - I think this name would make it stand out more from the Regi of the "Philippines", as they have similar types and name themes).
    Island regional legendary: maybe something based off the Queztalcoatl, or the Queztal
    Island climate: wet and rather hot in the southern part of the region, but dryer and slightly colder in the northern part
    Island features: in the northern part, a large mountain ridge and plateau; in the southern part, a forest with (eventually) many caves*, small lakes, and temples

Also, now that I think about it, this island being "haunted" would make it a lot harder to invade, effectively turning this into "what if Mexico was never "colonized" and Pokémon existed"

Here are a couple ideas for Germany:
    Welcome to the Wachstum Island!
    Wachstum Pokemon could consist of including the Swanna Line, Sharpedo Line, Seismitoad Line, Staraptor Line, Roserade Line, Liligant Line, Yanmega Line, Diggersby Line, Trevanent Line, Aegislash Line, Granbull Line, Magmortar Line, Mamoswine Line, and Cryogonal.

Of the 5 cities, 2 would be small and village-esque, 2 would be more town or city sized, and 1, roughly based on Berlin, would be the largest (maybe slightly smaller than Castelia City), named Von Neuem City, meaning anew. Landmarks would include:
    Grim Estate: An old author's property exploding with folklore, attracting trainers.
    Torn Wall: Small scraps of structure still remain in the middle of the grand Von Neuem City.
    Mount Zugspitze: The tallest point of the Wachstum Mountain Range. A trolley is needed to ascend to the top.
    Tapferkeit Museum: A tribute to Wachstum's history, and a reflection on its bloodshed.
    Again, good job on this post!
    About the landmarks, I'd suggest having one or more lakes (as there are many of them in Germany) and, possibly, even some industrial areas. You could even find some Steel-type or Electric-type Pokémon there, like Klink or Voltorb, that wouldn't really fit in the other regions.
    I agree about the cities of this region; the only nitpick would be the Torn Wall in Von Neuem City (it could use some lore to justify its existence).
    Finally... what does it mean that "A trolley is needed to ascend to the top [of Zugspitze]"? And should we keep the real name of that mountain or change it slightly?(Ehrenspitze, maybe? This name comes from Ehrenberg, a fortress nearby).

EDIT: * = someone on discord has already suggested to add a cave in "Mexico", based on the biggest crystal cavern in the world.

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • The names suggested so far for islands are Pyram (Egypt), Wachstum (Germany), Embrujada (Mexico), Dilim (Philippines), and Hydor (Greece). I'll update the OP tomorrow with those names unless anybody has any objections -- if so, post them!

I really like the idea of the Torn Wall in Wachstum but I agree that it needs some type of lore behind it, and that lore needn't be a parallel to reality. A simple idea I can think of is that the wall was constructed by a group with Team Plasma-like objectives to separate humans from Pokémon.

I don't think names should be copied exactly from reality, so naming the mountain Ehrenspitze sounds better to me.

Also can we put the Elite Four in the equivalent of the Great Pyramid of Giza? The E4 Members + Champion could each be natives of one island, gathered in Giza to take on challengers. I thought it would be a pretty cool final area haha. The Giza like area could be named Araza - from Mubaraza, which is Arabic for "duel".

Another possible Elite Four location could be Greece's Mount Olympus. I don't really have a good name for that mountain that doesn't sound too similar to the real one though.

tobyjoey

place text here
    Years
  • With Germany, I really wanted to parallel its actual history because I find it so interesting. Besides the Torn Wall, do you think it should be separated a little more?

Back