• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should there have been more competitions like the Whirl Cup during the Johto Series?

Should there have been more competitions like the Whirl Cup during the Johto Series?

• Total voters
Years
  • Yes.

Ash should've entered some tournaments as well so his Johto team will have evolved.

I think it could've also worked on Misty as she progressed almost nothing goal-wise. It could've helped her much better in her development and character as well which were poorly handled.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Yes also Ash should kept his Heracross instead of oaking it. What a waste of potential. Instead Ash keeps Bulbasaur for some reason, like having two grass types isn't redundant at all

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Use common sense, if the thread deals with the Whirl Islands competition or similar competitions, it deals with Misty since those deal directly with her goal. And besides, Kisara specifically mentioned Misty in her opening post and how it would really improve upon her goal to a large extent.
    I do have common sense. I thought the thread goes beyond just whirl islands cup. And Ash did compete despite this being Misty's focus.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Yes.

Ash should've entered some tournaments as well so his Johto team will have evolved.

I think it could've also worked on Misty as she progressed almost nothing goal-wise. It could've helped her much better in her development and character as well which were poorly handled.

Ash, Misty and Brock could have used more Tournaments to help further their goals. Ash's Johto was fine the way they were and they didn't need to evolved, they could have used more battle Tournaments and learn some new attack moves.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    Misty definitely deserved more tourney entries. The Whirl Cup was fine, but it happened too late in the saga and only lasted a couple of episodes. I wish that the Seaking fishing contest had been a battle tourney tbh.

Years
  • I disagree.

Misty deserved much better and while the show does mostly focus on Ash it doesn't really they can't get focus at all otherwise there wouldn't exist focus on sidekick main characters but it does.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So are you really fine with her barely getting goal-wise focus despite she wants to be a Water-type master? Oh.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    So are you really fine with her barely getting goal-wise focus despite she wants to be a Water-type master? Oh.
    Sure companions should have focus on their goals but at the end of it all, Ash is the primary character. Misty can always have specials to have focus on her goals.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I disagree.

Misty deserved much better and while the show does mostly focus on Ash it doesn't really they can't get focus at all otherwise there wouldn't exist focus on sidekick main characters but it does.

I agree with that, and it's kind of hilarious that the same people who claim that Lillie does nothing in SM are the same ones who are now using the "Ash should get the most focus because he's the main character!!!!1!!" excuse when it comes to Misty. If supposedly Ash needs the screen-time the most, then how can his supporters whine when his pals don't get a chance to do stuff themselves as a result?

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I agree with that, and it's kind of hilarious that the same people who claim that Lillie does nothing in SM are the same ones who are now using the "Ash should get the most focus because he's the main character!!!!1!!" excuse when it comes to Misty. If supposedly Ash needs the screen-time the most, then how can his supporters whine when his pals don't get a chance to do stuff themselves as a result?

It is not like that. Companions like Misty, May and Dawn can have focus. Ash will still get the main focus because of he is the main character. No one is whinning or complaining. And Lillie really does nothing in the show but that is off topic.

I wouldn't mind if Misty got one or two more competitions. However she is gone now and it is time to move on.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    It is not like that. Companions like Misty, May and Dawn can have focus. Ash will still get the main focus because of he is the main character. No one is whinning or complaining. And Lillie really does nothing in the show but that is off topic.

I wouldn't mind if Misty got one or two more competitions. However she is gone now and it is time to move on.

You've said the bolded part like three times in this thread, yet you still didn't explain why Ash getting less screen-time on rare occasions for Misty's sake (such as during times when even Ash wasn't doing much, like in some Johto fillers for instance), would've been unreasonable.

And as for "it is time to move on", the thread's subject matter is entirely hypothetical anyways, so I don't see the harm in thinking in retrospect and discussing Misty's theoretical chances for development in Johto. It's just fun to speculate on what could've been. Perhaps "it is time to move on" from reminding us that Ash is the main character since we already know that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree with that, and it's kind of hilarious that the same people who claim that Lillie does nothing in SM are the same ones who are now using the "Ash should get the most focus because he's the main character!!!!1!!" excuse when it comes to Misty. If supposedly Ash needs the screen-time the most, then how can his supporters whine when his pals don't get a chance to do stuff themselves as a result?

Well, I guess they're in favor of it with certain characters they don't like getting little focus. On the other hand I think one can't blame Ash for getting more focus at his companions' lack of focus. Writers treat differently every main companion, some get focus and others simply don't.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    You've said the bolded part like three times in this thread, yet you still didn't explain why Ash getting less screen-time on rare occasions for Misty's sake (such as during times when even Ash wasn't doing much, like in some Johto fillers for instance), would've been unreasonable.

And as for "it is time to move on", the thread's subject matter is entirely hypothetical anyways, so I don't see the harm in thinking in retrospect and discussing Misty's theoretical chances for development in Johto. It's just fun to speculate on what could've been. Perhaps "it is time to move on" from reminding us that Ash is the main character since we already know that.

I don't see why Misty needs anymore attention. She and the other companions are getting the amount of focus the writers are choosing to give them. Also Misty is from Kanto and should really have more development in kanto.

Back