• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Looking to start making fangames (preferably PMD), don't know anything, where to start?

Years
    • She/her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 14, 2023
    Hi! I'm sorry if this question has already been asked. I've done a search and I can't figure out if it's been asked already...
    Anyway, like the title says, I want to get into Pokemon fan games! I want to make one myself, but all I know how to do is write: I could write a script and come up with ideas, but that's about it. I need to mess around a little bit and see how things work. I'm specifically looking to make a PMD fangame. I know I can't do that all by myself, but I want to learn how things work before thinking about collaborating with people. I don't want to force potential teammates to do all the heavy lifting.
    With all that said, where should I start? Are there any PMD engines or things like that? I know that PMD: Origins is open to mods...
    Honestly, I just don't know where to begin.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    If you don't know where to start, the first idea is to explore. So, my advice, and that's how I started, is to start toying with a fangame you liked.

You mention Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Origins accepting mods, it's a good idea to start with that. It's not a problem if you don't have any idea of game, just toying with the maps, checking the events, seeing how things are coded, and eventually implementing simple events, characters or whatever, are always good.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Never mind. When I tried to download it, it didn't work.

Ah ^^" Unfortunately, this is the only engine for PMD that I know of...
    You should read through the thread, see if anyone had the same problem as you. If no one had the same issue, you should post a screenshot of what happens, post on the thread, and pray that someone responds ^^"

I found another completed mod for PMDO: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=461530
    Maybe try this one?

Years
    • She/her
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 14, 2023
    Ah ^^" Unfortunately, this is the only engine for PMD that I know of...
    You should read through the thread, see if anyone had the same problem as you. If no one had the same issue, you should post a screenshot of what happens, post on the thread, and pray that someone responds ^^"

I found another completed mod for PMDO: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=461530
    Maybe try this one?

I can't take a screenshot, because the screen that pops up whenever I try to open PMDO closes after a few seconds. It's a black screen with a bunch of code.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    Hi, just reaching out I'm having trouble creating maps/tilesets and sprites I don't know how to start making my custom maps/tilesets I don't have photoshop and I have a lot of ideas I need some guidance on how to do this I would appreciate it if I can plz have help on this.

But for the maps and tileset is there a good source to use i would ask people for the permission to see i could use their map to create my own but at the same time i was trying to find a website for the images for tiled so i could avoid copyright but i don't know were to start looking for images without it being copyright discrediting someone map work trying to figure out what way i want to go about it

Should just ask and credit ppl for the map work if i do want to use theirs or should i just trying create my own which is gonna be hard to do.

what should i do i tried asking other's on different communities but i didn't get much of an answer and i really want to start creating my own custom maps/tileset/sprites (etc)

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I can't take a screenshot, because the screen that pops up whenever I try to open PMDO closes after a few seconds. It's a black screen with a bunch of code.

I tried to install the game and I had no problem. I am on Windows, I got this screen:

Spoiler:

Then it downloaded the files, then Windows told me that it wasn't correctly installed, I said that it was, and then I could play the game by running PMDO/PMDO.exe.
    If you're quick enough you could get a screenshot! Use the screenshot key (and not Windows key + screenshot key, that is slower).

Hi, just reaching out I'm having trouble creating maps/tilesets and sprites I don't know how to start making my custom maps/tilesets I don't have photoshop and I have a lot of ideas I need some guidance on how to do this I would appreciate it if I can plz have help on this.

But for the maps and tileset is there a good source to use i would ask people for the permission to see i could use their map to create my own but at the same time i was trying to find a website for the images for tiled so i could avoid copyright but i don't know were to start looking for images without it being copyright discrediting someone map work trying to figure out what way i want to go about it

Should just ask and credit ppl for the map work if i do want to use theirs or should i just trying create my own which is gonna be hard to do.

what should i do i tried asking other's on different communities but i didn't get much of an answer and i really want to start creating my own custom maps/tileset/sprites (etc)

This is not the right place to ask this question. You should make your own thread.
    I can answer your question though.
    First, don't use Photoshop for pixel art. You can, but it's overkill. I suggest you use Gimp or Paint.net.
    Second, if you don't know where to start, you need to explore. Watch Youtube videos on pixel art, tutorials, or maybe open a videogame in RPG Maker and see how the tileset is translated to a game.
    Third, there are (broken link removed)of tilesets. You can also check the DeviantArts of the corresponding authors.
    Fourth, if you want feedback, you can create your art thread on PokéCommunity and post your creations.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    I tried to install the game and I had no problem. I am on Windows, I got this screen:

Spoiler:

Then it downloaded the files, then Windows told me that it wasn't correctly installed, I said that it was, and then I could play the game by running PMDO/PMDO.exe.

This is not the right place to ask this question. You should make your own thread.
    I can answer your question though.
    First, don't use Photoshop for pixel art. You can, but it's overkill. I suggest you use Gimp or Paint.net.
    Second, if you don't know where to start, you need to explore. Watch Youtube videos on pixel art, tutorials, or maybe open a videogame in RPG Maker and see how the tileset is translated to a game.
    Third, there are (broken link removed)of tilesets. You can also check the DeviantArts of the corresponding authors.
    Fourth, if you want feedback, you can create your art thread on PokéCommunity and post your creations.

Yes understand sorry for the post just new to this whole thing but thanks for the advice

Back