• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] I need help to make an ability

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    I want to make an ability that lowers the opponents Special Defense every turn. I copied the speed boost ability and changed a few things, but i cant get it to lower the opponents sp def. The only thing it works is lowering my special defense. if i.pbReduceStatWithCause(PBStats::DEFENSE,2,i,PBAbilities.getName(i.ability)) This script lowers my def how can i make it so it lowers the opponents sp def, pls help

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    So obviously "i" refers to the Pokémon with the ability and that's why it's lowering your Pokémon's special defense. What you need is a way to get the opposing Pokémon, which you can do with a variety of things depending on how you want it to work for double battles. Search for pbOpposing and see if you can work out which one you think is appropriate for your use case.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    But what '' i'' should I change, i tried replacing them with opponent or target but it shows a no method error. And I want to lower every opposing pokemons spdef, if you have any ideas I would appreciate it

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    The first "i"—because that's the Pokémon you're reducing the stat of (foo.pbReduceStatWithCause(...) reduces foo's stats). As for what to replace it with, I already suggested searching for pbOpposing to see how that's used.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Well is better you check how Intimidate works to decrease opponent's ATK and then create your ability to dec. SP.ATK, using Speed Boost to check every turn.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    With Intimidate it puts user instead of I which I have tried and it didn't work.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    I still need help, i cant find out how to do it. Can anyone just send me the script?
    Update: I figured out how to lower the opponents spdef upon entering the battle but when i try using if i.turncount>0 instead of onactive so it can last every turn it says there is a syntax error.

Last edited:

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • See, the reason you don't get a useful answer is because you don't provide enough information.
    When asking a coding related question always provide: What you want to do (as specific as possible), What you have tried so far, What exactly is it that you are stuck on, Error Messages (if any) and of course the part of the code that is not working and in what script section it is.
    Pro tip: use
    Code:
     tags to submit code, as it is easier t read.

Right now we have no clue what your whole attempt looks like and therefore can't tell you what you would need to put in, for it to work as expected. I appreciate that u already tried to solve it on your own, bu you can't expect any help without doing anything and you especially can't expect people to just give out finished code. If someone feels like doing this it's one thing, but in most case you would just get general advice/help.

This is not meant to be a rude reply or anythin, but I feel like this needs to be made clear more often and I want you to be able to improve your future postings, instead of getting the feeling that no one wants to help you, without knowing why. Cause we all like to help and answer question, but not if we have to ask for every little detail in order to help.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    I think i was clear but i will say it again. I want to make an ability that lowers the opponents spdef every turn, like speed boost. Right now i have this code
    [if i.turncount>0 && i.hasWorkingAbility(:TORMENT)
    if opponent.pbReduceStatWithCause(PBStats:: SPECIALDEFENSE,2,i,PBAbilities.getName(i.ability))
    PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{i.pbThis}'s #{PBAbilities.getName(i.ability)}")
    end
    end]
    but every time i try to run it it gives me a nomethod error for the 'opponent' and i dont know why.
    I have tried changing it to target and self but still no luck. It is below the speed boost ability.
    Also i dont know how to use the code tags sorry. Also i put a gap between the SpecialDefense and the '':'' because it turned into an emoji.

Last edited:

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Okay but where is this code written, like in what method?

Also, you misunderstood the use of code tags, but I appreciate you trying to use them. Click on the </> symbol in the editor to insert the code blocks and then paste your code in between those tags

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • A method is the thing that starts with "def". So we need to know what "def" it is in (like "def abillitiesOnActive")

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    What def is what in? The code? It gives undefined method in pbReduceStatWithCause
    Exception: NoMethodError
    Message: undefined method `pbReduceStatWithCause' for nil:NilClass
    PokeBattle_Battle:3736:in `__clauses__pbEndOfRoundPhase'
    PokeBattle_Battle:3725:in `each'
    PokeBattle_Battle:3725:in `__clauses__pbEndOfRoundPhase'
    PokeBattle_Clauses:42:in `pbEndOfRoundPhase'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2540:in `pbStartBattleCore'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2539:in `logonerr'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2539:in `pbStartBattleCore'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2521:in `loop'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2544:in `pbStartBattleCore'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2341:in `pbStartBattle'
    Thats the error msg

Last edited:

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • The info I was looking for was that your code is part of "def pbEndOfRoundPhase"

Then your code for the ability should look like this:

Code:
    if i.hasWorkingAbility(:TORMENT)
    for j in priority
    next if !pbIsOpposing?(i)
    if j.pbReduceStatWithCause(PBStats:: SPECIALDEFENSE,2,i,PBAbilities.getName(i.ability))
    PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{i.pbThis}'s #{PBAbilities.getName(i.ability)}")
    end
    end
    end

I removed the turncount, as I believe it is not neccassary, but of course it can be added back in if it turns out you actually need it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    It kinda worked. Now it lowers the opponents spdef but it lowers mine as well
    Update: Ok thank you for helping me.

Last edited:

Ego13

hollow_ego
    Years
  • Oh yeah I forgot to exclude the users side.
    I edited my previous answer, so now it should only lowr the opposing sides spdef

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2020
    Yea now it works so thank you, i would like to ask one more thing. I have made another thread about an interesting idea i have about an ability. Would you mind checking it out?

Back