• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Essentials Tutorial] A Beginner's Guide To FONTS

A Beginner's Guide To FONTS​
This is a beginner's guide to Fonts in Pokémon Essentials. Here, I will briefly explain you all about what is the "Fonts" folder in the Pokémon Essential, what the "Fonts not installed error" is and how to use custom fonts in your game.

First, talking about the Fonts folder in Pokémon Essentials.

Fonts folder has many misconceptions. The main among these is that Developers think that RPG Maker XP or Pokémon Essentials access fonts from this folder, which is completely false. This is the only folder which is used by the Gamers and not the Developers. You must be thinking- Whatt is he saying? But wait, don't go, I am here to explain.

The Fonts folder is the folder of the Game which stores all the fonts used in your game. A clean version of Essentials always has 8 Fonts by default namely the following:-
1. pkmndp.ttf
2. pkmndpb.tff
3. pkmnem.ttf
4. pkmnemn.ttf
5. pkmnems.ttf
6. pkmnfl.ttf
7. pkmnrs.ttf
8. pkmnrsi.ttf

These are the fonts which PE(Pokémon Essentials) uses. But, the fonts are always accessed from-
Control Panel >> Appearance and Personalization >> Fonts

That is why I told that the Fonts folder in the Game is only for the Gamers. It is the place from where Gamers will install all the fonts and enjoy your game. This is also the reason why we always delete (or Encrypt) every Folder of Game but not Fonts folder. So, now you all must be familiar with the Fonts folder and its uses.

Let's move to the most common error- The "Fonts not installed error".

This message is triggered because the Game could not find the required fonts in the Control Panel. To solve this, i.e. install fonts, you can either open all fonts (the .tff files in the Game's Fonts Folder) and click on INSTALL option on the Top of the screen beside PRINT option. Do this for all Fonts.

Another way to do this is by the following process-
1. Copy all fonts. Press Ctrl+A to select all and then Ctrl+C to copy them.
2. Go to Control Panel. Search Fonts in the search box.
3. Click on Fonts option.
4. Paste the copied Fonts from Game folder to this folder. Do Ctrl+P.
5. Now, run the game again and you are good to go.

See this thread for a more visual explanation on installing FONTS.

Till now, we have discussed about the Fonts folder and the Fonts not installed error. Now, we will see how to add new fonts and use them in our game.

To display custom font only in a textbox-

<fn=NAMEOFFONT>TEXT HERE<\fn>
Fill the value of fn to whatever font you want. For eg, if we want to display – "Hey! I am BJ." In Arial (since it is always installed in every Operating Systems), the code in the Text Box (the normal text box not the script box) will be-
<fn=Arial> Hey! I am BJ.<\fn>

To display custom font as the default one-

Go to Scripts section of RPG Maker XP. At SpriteWindow, search the following- FontName = "Power Green"
It should be the second line in a clean version of Essentials. Change "Power Green" to whatever font (installed in the system i.e. Control Panel) you want.
For e.g. if you want that Calibri be the default font, change that line to-
FontName = "Calibri"
If you want to use only this default font in the game and disallow players to choose different fonts from the Options Menu-
Spoiler:
To display custom font from the Options Screen-

This process might be complicated to beginners but I have elaborated it as much as I could. I too wanted to do this and it was the reason I created this tutorial. So, without wasting any time, let's get started. In this example, we will add Pokémon BW fonts to our project. Download BW Fonts by metax from the attachments. Credit required when used.

Step 1-
Spoiler:

Step 2-
Spoiler:

Step 3-
Spoiler:
Step 4-
Spoiler:

Now, we can easily change the game font to our custom font by selecting BW in the Options Menu.
Step 5- (Optional but Knowledgeable)
Spoiler:

Attachments

• Pokemon BW Font.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Back