• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some Questions for ROM Hacking.

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
Years
  • I'm not sure where I should really post this, as I'm still new to Pokecommunity.

The First Question- I've seen many people place custom music for their ROM Hack for legendaries, giving them their own theme, how would I be able to do this, specifically Ruby?

Question 2- I'm terrible at scripting, but I'd like to know how to script Professor Oak and Birch's script using XSE if it's possible, I want to refrain from Advance Text.

Question 3- I want to know if there is an advanced guide for Applying Movement for Fire Red and Ruby Versions if there is so?

Question 4- Is there any drawbacks to using the placeholder and Unown forms of Pokemon when adding in new Pokemon without replacing old ones?

Question 5- Would I be able to know if there is a set of voice groups that can be used efficiently on Ruby Version, and if there is a guide to extending the song table, and instrument amount per soundtrack for Ruby Version?

Question 6- I'd like to know how I would be able to add in a second Elite Four, as well as this, where I can change the mugshot of the Elite Four Member/Champion to the sprite of actual in-game trainer sprite. e.g. Turning Glacia's Mugshot to a Youngsters.

So yeah, I'm really new to all of this, but I'm trying hard to make a new ROM Hack that intends to be a bit memey, but also giving galore a challenge, and any help would be appreciated! :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    I'm not sure where I should really post this, as I'm still new to Pokecommunity.

The First Question- I've seen many people place custom music for their ROM Hack for legendaries, giving them their own theme, how would I be able to do this, specifically Ruby?

Depends on if it's fully custom music or just unused tracks.

Question 4- Is there any drawbacks to using the placeholder and Unown forms of Pokemon when adding in new Pokemon without replacing old ones?

Some editors run into minor issues with them but they are fully functional if you don't mind the custom mon having Unown's cry, which can be changed with some hex/asm magic :3

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • BirdstarCat13 The elaboration of the music in-game would be highly appreciated, Thankyou for the offer. :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    BirdstarCat13 The elaboration of the music in-game would be highly appreciated, Thankyou for the offer. :D

So, the way music is handled in the main series (up to but not including the 3ds games) is by using MIDI. Reverb and echo are imitated using the same note, repeated with different volumes. Music editing on GB/GBC/GBA/NDS is not as simple as "drag and drop this MP3 file into the game and poof" like it is with 3ds (kind of, obviously you'd have to properly import the file or whatever) and the way it works (at least in the gameboy era) is by using "voices" (diferent settings of the speaker) to make sound. The midi file for each song controls the volume and lengththat each "voice" isuse for, as well as the pitch, and that's what gives all the unique sounds. There are tutorials here (might only be one, though, IDK) on how to extract/edit the MIDI files for the music in the game.

As far as unused music goes, all you have to do is know its internal ID and use it in a playsound command in XSE with the ID and poof ther you go. I have a thread for all of hte music IDS in FireRed (pulled from another thread, mine just does a better job at explaining stuff bc I took the time to actually test them, unlike the other guy -_- lol)

Here's that thread I mentioned.

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • BirdstarCat13 I thank you for the elaboration and link you have provided me to advance myself in ROM hacking music, I'm very grateful :D

Back