• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU Team -- Suggestions & Comments

Chisswarrior

Grand Admiral
Years
  • So, after an hour of writing this the first time, I tried to post it, but it logged me out and I lost everything -_- soooooo....here's take two. (after writing this the second time, I know the first time was so much better, but whatever)

This is a team I have been using for a little while (OU with some UU) on the Pokemon Lab/Shoddy Battle simulator. Overall, it has worked out pretty well for me, but I still feel like its missing something or needs some changes. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm basically going to describe how I use each poke and what my main problems with each one are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (lead/utility)
    Miltank
    Jolly, Leftovers, Thick Fat
    EV's: 240 hp, 84 def, 184 spe
    -Heal Bell
    -Milk Drink
    -Body Slam
    -Stealth Rock

Description: Miltank is basically used as my go-to bulky physical annoyer and stealth rock-er, as well as my status healer. As long as it's not facing a fighting move, I'll typically leave it in until I can set up ST and para-hax something with body slam, and keep it healthy with milk-drink. I've been able to stall with this thing fairly well, and am usually able to get the hax after enough body slams, along with some decent damage.

Problems: My main problem with this thing is fighting moves. Especially as a lead with SR, I end up switching out before I get SR up if I'm staring at anything carrying close combat. Also, I feel like this thing suffers from the 4-moveslot syndrome, as it has some good options available to it. Also, it doesn't take special moves very well, which forces me to let it die or switch it out.

(phys. sweeper)
    Nidoking
    Jolly, Life Orb, Poison point
    EV's: 4 hp, 252 atk, 252 spe
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Megahorn
    -Sucker Punch

Description: As my favorite poke, I'm keeping this guy on my team no matter what (I don't really care what moves/spreads it has). This variant, I basically use as my all purpose, generic sweeper and toss him into battle when I get a good opportunity. As long as I can get him in safely, he works well with his good coverage. I have been able to use sucker punch quite effectively with it, especially against gengars.

Problems: The biggest issue I face with him is his reliance on his item. Having life orb damage on top of taking hits on the switch has hurt his performance. Also, he has been kind of hard to get in, with me mostly switching to him after a death. Also, I have had many issues with accuracy, I.E. missing megahorns 5 times in a row yesterday (coincidentally against breloom each time, during different games).

(phys. tank)
    Bronzong
    Sassy, Leftovers, Levitate
    EV's: 252 hp, 80 atk, 176 def
    -Block
    -Gyro Ball
    -Reflect
    -Explosion

Description: I kind of run a gimmicky set on this thing, but it has worked better than I first expected. I usually send this thing in on anything physical and fast, and then try to block it in and proceed to gyro ball it to death. Reflect helps to reduce the damage low enough to stay in long enough to gyro ball blocked things to death, or just to PP stall for a time if need be. Also, I use him as a bomb to take out important things if I know it'll sweep me if I don't take care of it.

Problems: One word - gimmick. It really does limit this thing during its use, as usually the opponent switches on my block, and I block in something that was switched in to take care of it. Also, I end up having to explode sooner than I'd like to usually, leaving a hole in my team where I may need a tank. My biggest problem is getting bulky waters switched in on it, especially ones with sp. atk.

(sp. wall)
    Cresselia
    Calm, Leftovers, Levitate
    EV's: 252 hp, 100 def, 156 sp.d
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Psychic
    -Thunder Wave

Description: I use Cress as my pivot point during battles. If i start losing, I'll send it in to absorb whatever I need it to, and slow their momentum. I use it as my main status absorber, and to spread as much paralysis as it can. I've considered using the psycho shift cress, but I wasn't sure if it would work with this team.

Problems: My biggest problem with this thing has been with the lack of being able to retaliate. It absorbs things pretty well, but other than that, it can't do too much back. It does it's job fairly well, but may not be the best fit for this team.

(utility)
    Vaporeon
    Bold, Leftovers, Water Absorb
    EV's: 248 hp, 224 def, 36 sp.d
    -Surf
    -Protect
    -Wish
    -Toxic

Description: Vaporeon is basically my answer to things that I can't really take care of with my sweepers, as well as bulky waters. I'll usually try to toxic first, then wish/protect, and get out of there to one of my main tanks. I also use it for wish passing, especially to get nidoking out again for more sweeping.

Problems: Unfortunately, this set doesn't really do too much other than stall or set up wishes. I have used it to take out steel pokes with surf, but typically it doesn't get used offensively. Also, with relying on toxic to do damage, it doesn't synergize well with the paralyze of cress and miltank.

(sp. sweeper)
    Heatran
    Naive, Choice Scarf, Flash Fire
    EV's: 252 sp. atk, 4 sp.d, 252 spe
    -Flamethrower
    -Earth Power
    -Explosion
    -Dragon Pulse

Description: Heatran is my only fast sweeper who I usually save til the end to take out everything. Until I know their whole team, I'll keep him as a surprise, or until I think he can get a flash fire boost. I like to use Dragon Pulse as my main coverage move when I expect a switch to make sure I hit something hard. Overall, heatran is a pretty solid sweeper

Problems: The only real problem I have with this thing is mis-predicting what the opponent will do. Having him scarfed is my only way of making sure I have something fast, but him not being able to switch moves hurts too. Other than that, I don't really have any issues with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other thoughts:
    This team as a whole works pretty well, but I've had a few major match-up issues. The biggest issue I've had is with set-up teams. I can usually take out 1-2 set up sweepers, but if they have any more than that, I usually get rolled. Also, subs tend to hurt pretty bad since that usually means I'll have to sack nidoking or heatran to get rid of that poke. Also, breloom has been a big thorn in my side lately, but mostly due to missed megahorns.

Thanks to anybody who actually read the whole thing, and please leave comments or suggestions (make sure to explain "why" for the suggestions)

-Chisswarrior

mirceabest

Being Stupid Is Not Cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2012
    It's a good team but Vaporeon... Whatever... Just change the move Wish with a better one...

Back