• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Why is Crystal worth getting?

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2021
    Silver is probably my favorite game ever but I've never actually played Chrystal. Can anyone sell it to me? What is different from it other than you can be a girl? Are there fun glitches like Gold/Silver and stuff like that?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Silver is probably my favorite game ever but I've never actually played Chrystal. Can anyone sell it to me? What is different from it other than you can be a girl? Are there fun glitches like Gold/Silver and stuff like that?

Hey made this question into its own thread as I think it is a cool question :) I will leave this to some of the regulars to answer ;)

...and if they don't I will jump in haha.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • It has most of the things that were wonderful about Gold/Silver but with some new twists regarding the Pokemon, not just including more Pokemon that were previously version exclusive, but adding some new story content around the Pokemon.

In Crystal for instance Suicune's role is elevated. It has multiple interactions with you on the journey that are unique to it, you are being judged by Suicune as to whether or not you are worthy, and a new character Eusine is part of the story.

Defeating Clair also allows you to reap a special reward. When you travel to the Dragon's Den you have the opportunity to receive as a gift an event Dratini with a different moveset if you are wise.

In Crystal you also receive an odd egg that can hatch into a variety of different Pokemon and will have an increased likelihood of being a shiny Pokemon.

Even though I have played Crystal in the past, I am very excited about getting Crystal for the virtual console because there is also going to be new content in the games that I haven't seen before, and Celebi is now going to be part of the main story. I can't wait to see how exactly that is incorporated.

Last edited:

lv255

! צדק צדק תרדוף
    Years
  • I feel like Crystal was the first game to be, like, a third game with actual changes (like Platinum and Giratina, Emerald and the new cutscenes, etc.). Technically Yellow did it, too, but Yellow was my first Pokemon game, and I only played Red/Blue long afterwards, so for me it was something special. It was also the first time that you could be a female trainer, and the first time that Pokemon moved, and the first for a lot of things. I think that's what makes it so special, in my opinion. It was a game-changer in a lot of ways and I feel like people will fondly remember that. It's probably why Crystal is looked back at with affection a lot of the time. Even for later generations with different third games, Crystal was unique because it was the first one to do it (well, Yellow, but I feel like a lot of peoples' first Pokemon games were probably GSC anyway).

So while retrospectively it doesn't look like a game that has all that many special features, at least compared to other, newer Pokemon games, it was one of the first to really switch things up in a way we weren't really expecting as kids (Pokemon moving is taken for granted now, but in Crystal in the year 2000, our tiny minds were BLOWN). That's probably why it's so fondly looked back upon.

And then of course, like VisionofMilotic said, there's going to be even more new content, which just makes it even more worth getting on the virtual console, in addition to all the nostalgic feelings about it.

Back