• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What starter type(s) are the best?

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
  • I don't know if this is suggested, but a Grass/Fighting, Fire/Dark, and Water/Psychic triangle might work?
    Like you can choose between Slowpoke, Shroomish, and Houndour at the beginning.

It would be quite balanced in my opinion..
    Breloom:
    Fighting beats Houndoom
    Grass beats Slowbro/Slowking

Houndoom:
    Fire beats Breloom
    Dark beats Slowbro/Slowking

Slowbro/Slowking:
    Psychic beats Breloom
    Water beats Houndoom

Might that work?

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2016
    There is one major problem with Psychic/Fighting/Dark. It is NOT a triangle. All starter triangles must be super-effective one way, and resistant the other. Take a look at Fire/Water/Grass: One way: Grass beats Water, Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass. Now the other way: Fire resists Grass, Grass resists Water, Water resists Fire. Now look at Psy/Fight/Dark: Psychic resists Fighting, Fighting resists Dark, Dark is IMMUNE to Psychic! That breaks the triangle. Now, you could always edit the type chart to make Dark resistent to Psychic, and that is probably what one should do...

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    thats a tough one all the types are evenly matched to have at least one weakness so i would have to say there all the same

Satoshi_Red

Ketchup Devourer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I like the idea of uber-weakness.

Magikarp, Metapod, Feebas, or something. Well, maybe not Metapod, but whatever. I'm sure there are plenty of useless pokemon. Maybe one of those baby pokemon who start off with 'Charm' or something.

Five seconds into the game you'd get rid of the starter and catch a new one, and, hey, no more worries about what type you have.

Okay, I know, I'm evil.

ladylivereth

Altaria's fan
    Years
  • im trying to do a pokemon sapphire hack, and i did a combination of pokemon red, gold and sapphire starters.
    I put charmander, totodile and treecko... i think it's funny cause they're all lizards, mmm they seems to be lizards :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    it really depends what pkmn game ur playing. bc there's newer moves that weren't availible in the older games and that kind of thing.

Rob-120

~Revived~
    Years
  • I cracked out my DS and checked that thingy that tells you damage on certain types
    Posion/Dark/Ghost - Some what rounded only Dark does better damage to both types
    Fire/Water/Grass - normal grouping (you could just stick with that only change pokemon)
    Bug/Grass/Water - Once again one type does to much damage to both
    Rock/water/electric - rounded ( W>R - R>E- E>W )
    Flying/Rock/Fighting - rounded ( FL>FI - FI>R - R>FL)

THose are all I'm gonna check...

NatureKeeper

And You can't make it one starter in Ruby or we'll have ?, PKMN, ? ?=Msngno so?

theEND

Veteran Pixel Artist/Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2008
    In my opinion Electric/Dark/Psychic

Electric = Powerful, Paralysis, Destroys Water Types
    Dark = Powerful, Variety of Moves and Combos
    Psychic = Destroys Fighting types, powerful, confusion

Surinade

Pokémon ROM- Hacker
    Years
  • Question 1: It depends on the Gym leaders. Just like in F/R/G/FR/LG because you need a Dark Pokémon to defeat Sabrina. So it just depends on the people you have defeat.
    Question 2: Same answer.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2012
    All the perfect triangles:
    fire/grass/water
    ground/poison/grass
    Rock/Flying/Fighting
    Fire/steel/rock
    Rock/Flying/grass

I think thats all

idrum4all2see

Drummer for life
    Years
  • Keep in mind Nintendo has choosen Fire/Water/Grass for all 4 generations because its safe.
    They could have done other things but then it wouldnt have been original.

I choose a Normal, Psychic and Fighting combo for my hack.
    Eevee, Abra and Machop.

That way you can eventually have Normal/Water/Fire/Electric/Psychic/Dark on Eevee to even it out.

Back