• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] I need help

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2019
    I spent 2 hours to work on a sprite and the sprite looks really good.
    OAK INTRO SPRITE
    I want to implement it in the game like always but this time I use a new palette.
    I saw many tutorials and all of them bring messed up palettes or freezing screens.
    It's 16 bits 342 colors has a .pal file.
    here's the thing.
    I think the problem is from APE.
    I keep putting the wrong offset since it always shows bad colors.
    I searched for offsets on the net,
    I used the offset proposed bu UNLZ (freezes)
    so help??????

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2023
    One way of doing it is doing it like this. This doesn't require you to use UNLZ or knowing the offset of anything.

The only thing you need is the sprite and NSE (Nameless Sprite Editor)

Since you are most likely using fire red as a base rom, the NSE

1. Go into NSE
    2. Open your rom
    3. Click "Navigate"
    4. You will see a folder called POKEMON, in this folder there are three folders "BPRE" (Fire red), "AXVE"(Not sure what this is) and "BPEE" (Emerald)
    5. In BPRE go to sprites=>People=>Oak. This will take you to the offset of oak and the palette offset.
    6.Go to "File" => "Import" => "Import Sprite Data"
    7. Import your sprite
    8. Click image + palette
    9. I you didn't use the original colors, they will be distorted in the rom, but don't worry.
    10. Open the color table also called "Palette" in "Edit" (The hotkey is Ctrl+P)
    11. Do the final changes to the colors if you want
    12. Click "Save Palette to ROM"

Note: If the image file is too big, just press the magnifying glass, and it will find an offset with enough free space

Hope this helps

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2023
    I tried your guide and I think it's not right joi8...

The Oak sprite you refer to is not used in the intro. The one used is located in the 'intro' folder (who woulda guessed), and I can't find a way to edit it in NSE, best I could do was insert a sprite and then repoint with a hex editor but it got all messed up..

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2023
    Sorry that it didn't work, im used to working with pokemon emerald. (Hope you had a backup)

I'll try to find out how to fix this (In an easy beginner friendly way)

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2023
    I found out, the offset for intro oak, it is 461CF6 originally. If you have changed pointers, it will be somewhere else.

Still haven't found the palette offset though

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2023
    i hope you haven't changed any of the original colors, because I cant seem to find the color palette for prof. Oak.

If you haven't come too far in your hack, I would suggest using Pokemon emerald as a rom base. I have much more experience with that.
    Therefore I could help you better there. It is pretty easy inserting thats sprite into Pokemon emerald.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2023
    I spent 2 hours to work on a sprite and the sprite looks really good.
    OAK INTRO SPRITE
    I want to implement it in the game like always but this time I use a new palette.
    I saw many tutorials and all of them bring messed up palettes or freezing screens.
    It's 16 bits 342 colors has a .pal file.
    here's the thing.
    I think the problem is from APE.
    I keep putting the wrong offset since it always shows bad colors.
    I searched for offsets on the net,
    I used the offset proposed bu UNLZ (freezes)
    so help??????

If you could post your sprite, i could try to insert it myself and make a more tailored guide

Back