• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Police brutality -

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/09/taser-of-8-year-old-girl/2951083/
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/08/georgia-police-probed-for-killing-man-after-911-was-called-over-diabetes-medication/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/quad-cities-police-office_n_3720974.html?utm_hp_ref=chicago

These are just three of the many stories I've read lately on the issue of police brutality, and I'm curious to see what you think about this issue. The use of deadly force has become the norm for many police departments in response to even small levels of resistance and we see innocent people being shot and killed for very minor actions.

You can make the argument that these are only a few bad apples; but look at the locations of these crimes: South Dakota, Georgia, Mississippi. These are not brutal acts centered in one area; they are distributed around the country, and more and more stories on the injustices of police against regular citizens are being reported on in more and more states. It seems to me that it isn't just a few bad apples; it's a growing problem.

Are police departments teaching new officers to use as much force as possible in every situation? Are these departments desensitizing these officers to the human condition? Are racial and gender biases being affirmed in the police environment?

I've seen police brutality with my own eyes in two different states: Arizona and South Dakota, states separated by nearly 2400 miles. I've been stopped by a police officer and sexually harassed. I'm no stranger to the comings and goings of the police departments in my area as I am a Criminal Justice major and am involved with the department. I hear how our officers talk about our students; stupid, ignorant, lazy, worthless. They have no respect for any of our university students and they treat us with said lack of respect. I've seen this mentality in other places. It seems to be a growing problem that does not seem to be getting any better.

Thoughts?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Pretty sure everyone knows about how brutal the police are. What's to discuss?

Years
Is no one going to reply to this thread?
Sometimes people aren't interested in a topic or don't know what to say or are just too busy to respond. If a thread isn't getting attention for whatever reason you'll just need to be patient. We generally don't allow thread bumping / double posting so please keep from doing that here.

On the topic itself, it's something that exists and people should be careful of. Most police officers are good people, but some just like the power their uniform gives them and since you can't tell the good ones from the bad it's best to keep confrontations to a minimum. They have the guns after all. The more you can stay away from police the better.

Back