• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How to be a pokemon master?

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2016
    Hey guys ! I am getting pokemon ORAS next week. how can I be a pro ? I heard there are IV and EV and also nature that will affect my pokemon. Can I know more about it? How can I determine which IV, EV and nature are best for my pokemon? Thank you ^^ gonna catch them all !

Years
  • In general, what exactly being a Pokémon Master implies is slightly unspecified in a canon sense. It generally implies certain things about how their journey is carried out and their approach to Pokémon usually being something unique. As such, you might want to specify what you're interested in specifically.

If you're just interested in 'competitive battling' instead, then there are websites like smogon based on discussing the IVs and EVs that are usually used for Pokémon, but if you wish to focus on the stats element by itself it can still vary according to how you wish to use the Pokémon, how the game would encourage it, etc. There are now multiple ways of altering these, including mini-games, if you particularly like them. Natures are usually specified anyway, and are usually a question of catching the right member of a species.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2016
    Hi ^^ I m interested in competitive battling. What do you mean by catching the right member of a species?

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • 1. Study the current metagame. Sources like Smogon or news sites that cover VGC rules and formats are helpful. Understand all the varying strategies and their deviations. Rates of success versus different team combinations and why, synergies between different team members, etc.

2. Obtain the Pokémon in question. Take into account: IV spread, nature, ability, egg moves (if any), EV spread. Even if you're starting from scratch, you can easily get the nature you want by utilizing a Pokémon with your wanted nature with the ability Synchronize (such as Abra line, Ralts line, Espeon, Umbreon) and catch a Ditto. 50% chance it'll also have the same nature. Then use an Everstone and pass that onto the child Pokémon before breeding for IVs. If you don't have the right Ditto nor the right Synchronize Pokémon to start, either trade for one or catch one (in ORAS, Dex Nav-ing a Synchronize Ralts shouldn't take too long; it'll come down to randomly finding one with the right nature before you hunt down a Ditto to make everything easier in the future). For example, I personally have one Ditto of every nature, which makes it incredibly easy for me to have any breedable Pokémon of any nature I want.

3. Breed the Pokémon. Look up guides to breeding competitive Pokémon. In all likelihood, to speed up the process, you'll need: a 6-IV Ditto, Destiny Knot (on the Ditto to pass IVs), Everstone (on the other parent to pass nature), Flame Body Pokémon, Oval Charm, max hatching O-Power. You'll likely have to breed across more than one generation in order to fill out the IVs.

4. Once you've bred a Pokémon with the right IV-spread—for example, 31 in Attack or Special Attack for sweepers, with 31s in HP, Defense, Special Defense and Speed; check an IV judge in your game (Battle Resort Pokémon Center in ORAS) to confirm—you'll need a EV-boosting item such as Power Anklet for Speed, Power Bracer for Attack, etc. and Pokérus to speed up EV training. You're better off trading for a Pokérus-infected Pokémon as you're very unlikely to randomly encounter it in your normal playthrough.

5. With the appropriate EV-boosting item and Pokérus on your competitive Pokémon, bring a Sweet Scent AOE Pokémon with you for horde training. Personally I use a Venusaur with Earthquake/Petal Blizzard. Example, if you're EV-training for Speed, attach a Power Anklet on your Pokémon, turn on Exp. Share, head out to Route 104 (west of Petalburg City) and spam Sweet Scent in the grass to fight Zigzagoon or Wingull hordes. Each battle should yield 50 EV points to Speed if you're properly set up (1+4 with Power Anklet * 2 from Pokérus * 5 enemy Pokémon = 50 EVs).

6. If you're able to obtain multiple QR codes for Blissey Secret Bases, you can bulk grind EXP and reach level 100 on any Pokémon in roughly half an hour.

7. Repeat this five more times to fill out your party.

8. Obtain the items you'll use on each Pokémon, such as berries, Choice items (Scarf, Band, etc.), Focus Sash, or anything else that synergizes with your strategy. This will likely involve grinding the Battle facility for Battle Points if you're starting from scratch.

...The most important part is that even if you have a fully set up team, you're not going to get anywhere unless you understand strategy. No competitive Pokémon match is a straight empty-minded offensive onslaught that gets you through the main game. In competitive battles, I'd argue it's 90% mental games involving predictions, baiting, setting up, and numerous counters based on what the trends are at the time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2016
    thanks a lot ! I would like to know more about breed a perfect IV pokemon. Is there any more detailed guide for it?

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • thanks a lot ! I would like to know more about breed a perfect IV pokemon. Is there any more detailed guide for it?
    There's really not too much to it at all. The easiest way is to just get your hands on a Ditto with perfect IVs and a Destiny Knot.

You can get one here.

Destiny Knot lets the child Pokémon inherit 5x total IVs from the two parents, so there's a better chance for it to have max IVs in any stat if one of the parents is holding it while at the daycare (likely the Ditto).

Let's say I want to breed a perfect Scyther. First I'll have the 6-IV Ditto and a Destiny Knot. You can obtain a Destiny Knot from various sources, most commonly in ORAS from the trainer couple in Sea Mauville (chance to drop) or a level 51+ Pokémon with Pickup (1% chance).

Any Scyther will do because I won't bother with its hidden ability. Assuming I already have one with the nature I want, I'll put it in the daycare with the Ditto.

Let's assume the Scyther has ZERO perfect IVs while the Ditto has SIX perfect IVs (total 6 perfect out of 12). So the chance to pass on FIVE perfect IVs from 6/12 is low. The first batch of eggs I hatch might not have a Scyther with all the perfect IVs. I want to pick the one that has the most relevant perfect IVs and breed that one again with the Ditto.

So let's say one of the new Scythers has perfect Attack, Defense and Special Defense while the others only have two or fewer perfect IVs. I take this new Scyther and replace the old Scyther at the daycare. Now there's a greater chance for the Destiny Knot to pass on the perfect IVs because I'm dealing with 9/12 perfect IVs from both parents combined.

From here, I keep replacing the previous Scyther at the daycare with one with better IVs until I hatch one with at least 5x perfect IVs in the stats I want, most likely HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed. Depending on luck (because inheritance is random), it can take just one round of breeding or it can take many.

Granted, even with a Destiny Knot and two Pokémon with perfect IVs will not guarantee me a child Pokémon with perfect IVs. Remember Destiny Knot only passes down FIVE IVs combined from both parents. The child Pokémon will always have at least one random IV.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2016
    Thanks a lot !!! you are so patient to explain everything to me ^^ you really help me a lot. Thanks again!

Back