• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] Memoirs from the Dust [Working Title]

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
  • Memoirs from the Dust [Working Title]
    Message 1a
    walked against the storm, taking short but heavy steps to prevent myself from getting blown away. My dusty cloak and mask did a good job of protecting me from the ashes, not ashes but sand, that would occasionally be blown in my face. I was making my way gradually to the large building that stood solemnly in the face of the storm. In only a matter of minutes I was opening the heavy metal door and entering the building, making sure to shut it behind me.

The smell of rust and iron was pungent in here, with hints of cherry blossoms from the days I used to try and brighten the place up. The dull grey hues that had once been a striking silver, only reminded me of better times. This place was, had been, a bastion of hope but after that event...it was nothing but a bitter memory.

I took a seat on the slightly rusty bench, careful to not apply too much pressure, lest I have to go foraging for more scrap again. Removing from my cloak a withered notebook, I began my daily ritual of chronicling my days here.

Day 151

It's been about a month or so since Max left with the vehicle, watching some old movies had given him the bright idea to scour the wastes. He said that it'd be better than wasting away slowly in the Forge, and I have to agree with him. This place is pretty damn dull, but old movies and the generator keep me occupied enough to forget about it, usually.

This place wasn't meant to last too long, but I've been keeping it from totally collapsing. Had to delve into the wasteland to find the parts I needed, but I was lucky enough to miss the usual storm. Max had always been rather at maneuvering through the sand, so it'd be no surprise if he was still alive and kicking.

I can only wonder what Max has found out in the wastes, that place was barren. A few animals, some mutated and some not, were still left but they were hard to catch. Besides animals, there was another civilization about 10 or 20 miles away from the Forge. Only problem was they lacked a sustainable food source, though they seemed to be making do last time I checked. I did note a few people missing, but I was only told that they left on a caravan. I doubt that's the truth.

My day went as usual; wake up, use a tiny amount of water to clean some grime off, get dressed, eat a few vegetables off the small farm and a tiny portion of preserved meat, begin checking out the Forge and see what needs repairs, get the materials needed for said repairs, and make my way back here.

It seems kind of tedious, but on most days I don't even have to leave the Forge. While the place was only supposed to last two months of the initial fallout, I'd started my own upgrades weeks before that damned day. My gut had told me that this would be necessary, and even though some items are slowly falling apart, my efforts were not in vain. With me here this place could probably last a few years if not a decade, if I was to leave then maybe a year or so max.

Though, honestly, what did it matter? Relief was supposed to come a few moths ago, but that was doubtful due to the sheer scale of this. I still didn't know exactly how everything went down, but as I have slowly pieced together things I'm beginning to get a clearer picture.

This event was caused by an Apostle, which one exactly, I have no clue. I was a simple engineer at the time, but I remember vividly the first day of the aftermath. The blinding light that eradicated everything it touched and fundamentally altered the ecosystem, until nothing but dust and sand were left, was the cause of this situation. The Apostle had apparently had a really bad day, and his powers used it for this.

When the first impact came Me, Meridian, Max, and Cynthia were still in the Forge at the time and we were lucky that it managed to endure the impact. The second impact was responsible for the rust, apparently even my own personal absorbers couldn't stop whatever the hell the second impact had been.

I was sure that they wouldn't make fun of anymore of my gut feelings again, my kinetic energy absorbers had taken the worst out of the blast. My own power as a Mechanic finally came in handy, my only regret was that I hadn't gotten the paperwork necessary to push through some of my tech to the rest of the Devetch island. I could've prevented a lot of deaths, but I don't doubt that even that had a chance of failing.

I guess, being here myself has been a bit stressful. More often than not, I'll leave a movie on the TV going even while I'm not watching, just to have that feeling of someone else being there. I'm happy Max built such a reliable generator, otherwise I'd have wasted all the electricity already. I haven't been getting much sleep as of late either, probably due to the need of my attention about the Forge. Well that, and perhaps the lack of human company.

I'm beginning to ramble on, so I guess I'll be stopping this entry here. Tomorrow is harvest day, after trial and error I had been able to create a field that simulates an ecosystem in which crops can grow, so I finally have access to fresh vegetables and fruits. Next up on my agenda is to figure out how to get more meat. Good luck, me.

Closing my journal and putting it back in my cloak I got up from the bench and walked into the living area. It was lacking that life to it that it used to have, but it had the flatscreen TV and relatively nice couch. I decided to take a small nap before moving on to the repairs. Putting on a short 1 hour film, I let myself relax as I slowly drifted off.

Sleep came easy today.​

Last edited:

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
    Years
  • Message 1b

It's been a few days since I recorded some of my info, hopefully one day someone will get these and manage to piece together the info I've come by. Maybe, Pearson will find these messages, he was always better at planning than me. I'd decided to scour the wastes, instead of staying at the Forge after all. I blamed it on my natural heroic tendencies, and curiosity too I guess.

Though, within just a few days, I've probably found out more info than I have in the last few months. The event me and Pearson had come to refer as the "Impacts", was caused by an Apostle. More specifically, it was caused by the Apostle Messiah. The great hero renowned throughout the world for being a paragon of good had been the one to almost wipe my home country off the map, if that wasn't messed up I didn't know what was.

Anyway's, instead of writing this stuff, I decided I'm going to keep recordings instead. Pearson was always writing things in his journal, so I'd keep a voice journal instead! It allowed me to stay put in the little wreckage I'd found and be safe, while still recording my thoughts. It was knocking out like two birds with a pebble.

But yeah, these wreckages and little crumbles of homes have a lot of useful stuff. Like, they were a fount of knowledge pretty much. It was weird, but it made sense. Devetch was a remote island country focused on finding answers, and I think...we found what we were looking for. Just last week I had found the remains of a lab, it looked like a hurricane had sheared through it but a few interesting things had managed to survive.

I'd found a document labeled "Secret Report 04", and what I'd found out had been surprising to say the least. The document pretty much said that our government had been working with a mysterious backer, who I just naturally assumed was some sort of slapstick villain who clenched his fingers together in pyramid form, to uncover how different Apostle's were from normal humans.

While this was apparently hard, they had started to make a serious breakthrough. Apparently there was some sort of node in the brain and a smaller one in the spine, they were much more durable than the human body, and seemed almost like separate organisms. While they didn't know the exact material it was made out of, the people working on it were getting closer to figuring it out.

Then the "Impacts" occurred. All of the scientists were either scattered or dead, at least as far as I knew. They had apparently been fearing some sort of attack in the days leading up to that, but I doubt that even they had predicted the scale. Heck, Pearson had been the one to save me and the girls bacons when it came down to it, and that was off one of his gut feelings!

Piecing together the identity of the person who did all this damage was probably the easiest thing to do. There were very few people who could reduce a country to nothing in a matter of minutes, even less that didn't need preparation, and even less than that were people who could do it in such a distinctive way. I'd felt a bit of smugness in my accomplishment, people thought just because I was kind of goofy meant I couldn't be smart. Ha, I say ha to all my naysayers.

Yeah, but honestly I don't know what to do with this info I've gotten. I'm not particularly strong, and I'd be an idiot to take this to some sort of government. Messiah worked with the government. Therefore government must the bad guys here and I'm not going to throw away my life if I'm not going to win. At least if I won, Pearson could regale people of my heroic valour and score some babes!

For now, I think I'll just keep digging for info. I'd visited the providence in the Outerlands only a few days ago and they told me something quite interesting, something about what appears to be a working factory. Their giving out relief supplies supposedly, I'm sure there's something deeper there but it'll take time to find out what. Besides, I was getting tired of apples and water! I needed meat!

My stomach grumbled at the thoughts of meat, I'd only run out a little while ago, but already I was missing the meaty goodness. If Pearson had came along he'd have brought more meat to spare, or would've figured out to make a field that could make meat. Wait a minute, why hadn't he just done that before!? Me and Pearson were going to have a chat whenever I got back to the Forge.

Well, I should probably end this recording around here. I'm starting to ramble to myself, and that's not a good sign. I think. Oh well, if it's working why fix it, ya know? See ya next time, my precious Ultirecorder. I still think my name is better than Super Tape Recorder DX, who'd come up with such a stupid name anyway?

Anyways, I've got a mystery to figure it out so I should start readying myself to head out. Max Strair is on the case! And I always catch my target!​

Back