• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Trading Items

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 15, 2017
Hey guys

Want to complete the dex at some point.

After some help in regards to some items and locations

1. Kings Rock is it in the slowpoke well and if so is there only 1? So need to play twice?
2. Metal Coat is this after the elite 4 and only 1 as well?
3.Dragon Scale - i do not want to kill the red gryados so where can i find one of these for seadra?
4 Up-grade for porygon where can i find this?

Thank you

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
It's been a while since I've looked for these in-game, but as far as I remember/can tell:

1. There is one in the Slowpoke Well (you need Surf to get it), but I think you could also get it by catching/stealing it (with Thief) from wild Slowpoke or Poliwhirl. Your best bet might be to just catch a bunch of Slowpoke in Slowpoke Well and see if you get one (you should get one every 20ish Pokemon or so). You could also use Thief, but I don't think any Pokemon learn it naturally in gen II, so you would have to use a one-use TM.

2. I think Metal Coat is found on the S.S. Aqua (boat after you beat the Elite Four), but you can also get it from wild Magnemite (find these on the route west of Ecruteak, I think it's route 38?).

3. You can find a Dragon Scale in Mt. Mortar. (I think the scale that comes attached to Gyarados is the Red Scale, which is a key item that you can give Mr. Pokemon in exchange for the Exp Share, and is unrelated to the Dragon Scale.) You can also get a Dragon Scale from wild Horsea (Whirl Islands), or from Dratini (easiest place to get those would be Dragon's Den with Surf or the Good or Super Rods).

4. The Up-Grade can be obtained at Silph Co. in Saffron City in Kanto (so post-Elite Four as well). Unlike the others on this list, it can't be obtained from wild Pokemon in GSC.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Also, an added note to anyone that looks at this thread and is curious about completing the dex: if you want evolution items (Fire/Water/Grass/Thunder) then... yeah, you're going to have to wait until you reach Kanto. If you do want to do this early make sure you have a second 3DS with Virtual Console Red/Blue/Yellow save file. Make sure it is mostly completed Use the Time Capsule, buy all the stones in Celadon City, evolve the Pokemon then Time Capsule the Pokemon back to Gold/Silver all evolved. :)

It's a pain and Crystal makes it WAY easier but it's something to keep in mind for those wanting to complete early.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
oh yeah cause stones are not in the game ay well only 1 of each or something

Well, the thunder/water/fire/leaf stones are limited, and those are the ones you can buy in RBY. I don't think GSC introduced any new Pokemon who evolved with those particular stones, so trading to RBY, buying the stone, evolving your Pokemon, and trading it back should work for everything.

I've always found the artificial scarcity of those stones to be an odd design choice, given how easy it is to get around the problem with a copy of an older game (although perhaps part of the point is to force you to trade). Also, why don't any department stores sell them in GSC? I could see them being Kanto-exclusive, but it's not like Kanto doesn't exist in GSC. From an in-game-universe perspective, did the department store management decide, after giving them much of a floor in the Celadon Department Store in RBY, that they simply weren't profitable enough to be worth selling anymore? Or maybe Team Rocket was involved in stone trafficking to provide the Celadon Department Store with stones, and when Giovanni disappeared, the supply chain dried up? Or maybe Bill's grandfather regularly buys out the entire supply, and prevents the department store from selling the stones to anyone else? Conspiracy theory time!

Back to the question at hand, sun and moon stones are much more readily obtainable (weekly for moon stones and three times per week at the bug catching contest for sun stones).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 15, 2017
how do you get moon stones?

and what evoles from a moon stone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
Years
clefairy, jigglypuff, nidorina, nidorina all evolve with moon stones, you can get one from your mother when she call you eventually, 1 in the waterfall cave on way to E4 tojo falls think its calle and then you can get 1 each monday by smashing the rock in middle of mt moon

Back