• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pokemon rom hacking

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2021
    I'm a COMPLETE beginner at rom hacking and I have few questions
    So I've downloaded the tools needed for rom hacking such as XSE, BSP, and G3T. I also had to create this account so I can ask this questions.
    Now, where do I start? How do I open this files? Do I download winRAR/Infranview? thanks in advance ya'll btw I'm planning on starting with pokemon fire red

Last edited:

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Irfanview is completely unnecessary in a world with HexManiacAdvance. Heck, most other rom hacking tools are completely unnecessary in a world with HMA

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    Now, where do I start? How do I open this files?
    Most programs will have an open file/open rom option, from them you just load up an clear rom of fire red (which i wont be linking where for obvious reasons)
    Do I download winRAR/Infranview?
    When it comes to infraview, it depends on what you are going to do, i use infraview for editing graphics/indexing sprites, so if you want to work with that, i would say yes.
    Now for winrar, yes, winrar is an file decompressor, and a lot of tools/resources are compressed (mostly are in .rar or .zip, some even in .7z)
    winrar just makes your life easier since windows has no native support for .rar (cant say the same to mac)
    While you are here make sure to check https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369646 since it focuses on gen III hacking.

Last edited:
    Back