• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Completely Stumped

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
  • Here's what I got when I checked in my latest test

'---------------
    #org 0x1E880
    bufferitem 0x0 0x1880
    bufferitem 0x78 0x4680
    comparevars 0x234A 0x148
    braille 0x43482058
    bufferdecoration 0x18 0x1C08
    compare 0x30 0x1578
    comparebanktobyte 0x40 0x45
    call 0x221C08D0
    checksound
    nop
    braille 0xD10A4540
    comparebanktobyte 0x4C 0x21
    closeonkeypress
    gotostd 0x1

So I feel like something is very wrong here

Just for future reference, what was the offset you intended to place your test script at that resulted in the above script? I may know what's happening. I mentioned it earlier though I wasn't too sure, but is it possible you removed the $ in AdvanceMap's script offset box when inputting your script's offset in? Doing so does change the offset into a different one. I'm sure it isn't 0x1E880, as that one exists in the actual game.

This can also tie into the other issue where the NPC didn't show up, as the offset may have changed into one with a script where said NPC is hidden until some flag is set/cleared.

Last edited:
    Years
  • That offset is incredibly wrong. Since you're using the #dynamic command, your script should be trying to find free space from offset 0x800000 onwards, but you're pulling a random section of data from near the beginning of the ROM. You either accidentally deleted a number or didn't copy the entire offset when you were pasting it into AdvanceMap.

Even though you said you had XSE v1.1.1, just try downloading the version from my earlier post anyway as I can guarantee that one works correctly. Also, if you aren't doing so already, you need to exit/ reenter the map whenever you're testing scripts. This will reload everything and actualize any changes that you've made to NPCs.

If you ever lose the pop-up window that appears after you compile, just click the notepad icon near the compile button.

I know I pasted the right offset, because I checked a few times to be sure, but I'll check again to be safe. And yeah, I usually do, but sometimes I do forget and just hit the save button before trying. I'll try once more tonight, and if it doesn't work I'll try again in the morning

Years
  • Just for future reference, what was the offset you intended to place your test script at that resulted in the above script? I may know what's happening. I mentioned it earlier though I wasn't too sure, but is it possible you removed the $ in AdvanceMap's script offset box when inputting your script's offset in? Doing so does change the offset into a different one. I'm sure it isn't 0x1E880, as that one exists in the actual game.

This can also tie into the other issue where the NPC didn't show up, as the offset may have changed into one with a script where said NPC is hidden until some flag is set/cleared.

I don't remember what offset it was, I pasted the @talk offset I was given from compiling. And I know I didn't delete the $ because I've been very careful not to

Years
  • Okay! So big update on this problem! I was very careful to copy and past the right offset into Advance Map, but when I opened the script, it was wrong again. So I manually entered the offset myself, and when I opened it it worked perfectly! Had some troubles saving so I could test it when I tried to use a brand new npc, but when I replaced an existing npcs offset with my own, I actually got the right dialogue for once! Finally I can make this game actually playable

BrandoSheriff

Years
  • Okay! So big update on this problem! I was very careful to copy and past the right offset into Advance Map, but when I opened the script, it was wrong again. So I manually entered the offset myself, and when I opened it it worked perfectly! Had some troubles saving so I could test it when I tried to use a brand new npc, but when I replaced an existing npcs offset with my own, I actually got the right dialogue for once! Finally I can make this game actually playable

Glad you finally got it working! When in doubt, manual does the trick lol.

To answer the previous comment, pasting the @talk offset would result in getting the wrong script. It's the @start offset you want.

Years
  • Glad you finally got it working! When in doubt, manual does the trick lol.

To answer the previous comment, pasting the @talk offset would result in getting the wrong script. It's the @start offset you want.

That's what I meant. I have been trying to use the @start offset, I just typed talk for some reason. And if I can get an answer quickly, is it safe to edit my own scripts after putting them in game? The text I put in is a little choppy, and I don't want to have to insert a brand new script

BrandoSheriff

Years
  • That's what I meant. I have been trying to use the @start offset, I just typed talk for some reason. And if I can get an answer quickly, is it safe to edit my own scripts after putting them in game? The text I put in is a little choppy, and I don't want to have to insert a brand new script

I can't really give a clear answer on that one myself. I think it should be fine if you're doing like minor text touch-ups and there's enough free space after the script to accommodate for it. I personally wouldn't recommend editing existing scripts tho, but I believe it'll ask for repointing if it's needed. Not too sure however.

It's kinda weird, but what I usually do if I mess up a script is go to its location in the rom using a hex editor and... just delete it by replacing it with free space. I fix the script in question and recompile it in the same location it originally was. That way I don't have to edit the offset in AdvanceMap or keep having to revert back to my previous backup.

Oh yeah, backups are your friend. I'd recommend making one every time a script is successfully inserted and works as intended.

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
    Years
  • Wait, have you tried using a clean ROM of what you're hacking? Maybe that might be the issue. If not, try doing scripting on an untouched ROM and see if the problems still persist.

If the problems are still present, I have no idea how to solve your issue, sorry.

Anyways, I hope you get that scripting issue solved soon. :)

Years
  • Wait, have you tried using a clean ROM of what you're hacking? Maybe that might be the issue. If not, try doing scripting on an untouched ROM and see if the problems still persist.

If the problems are still present, I have no idea how to solve your issue, sorry.

Anyways, I hope you get that scripting issue solved soon. :)

I always use a clean ROM when I'm testing, because I don't want to mess up the one I'm working on lmao. And thankfully, I finally managed to fix the problem at about 2 am last night! So now I can finally get to work on making this playable! Of course, I still have problems, but they're easy problems like having the wrong hex codes, or missing a command, so those I can solve alone, usually.

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
    Years
  • I always use a clean ROM when I'm testing, because I don't want to mess up the one I'm working on lmao. And thankfully, I finally managed to fix the problem at about 2 am last night! So now I can finally get to work on making this playable! Of course, I still have problems, but they're easy problems like having the wrong hex codes, or missing a command, so those I can solve alone, usually.

Oh, awesome, I'm glad your issue was resolved! :)

Back