• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Help. How does the Shoal Cave warp work?

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Hello,

I've been wondering how to implement seasons in Pokeemerald and the best I can figure is that 4 maps for each location would be needed; 1 for each different season. However, the inside maps would not need to change, so I was wondering how to implement the warps such that when entering the player's house for example, from Littleroot (spring), Littleroot (summer), Littleroot (fall), and Littleroot (winter), the warps all go to the player's house inside map. However, when exiting the house, there would need to be a way to return to the appropriate season of Littleroot town based on some kind of time check. It occurred to me that this already exists with Shoal Cave (in a sense). Shoal Cave has 2 separate cave entrance maps; 1 for high tide and 1 for low tide. In Porymap, the warp from route 125 to Shoal Cave appears to only reference the low tide map, but depending on time, it should actually warp to the high tide map instead. If I could find how this was implemented, I figure the same theory could apply for seasons, but thus far I have been unable to determine how it warps to the high tide map when porymap only shows the low tide warp. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello,

I've been wondering how to implement seasons in Pokeemerald and the best I can figure is that 4 maps for each location would be needed; 1 for each different season. However, the inside maps would not need to change, so I was wondering how to implement the warps such that when entering the player's house for example, from Littleroot (spring), Littleroot (summer), Littleroot (fall), and Littleroot (winter), the warps all go to the player's house inside map. However, when exiting the house, there would need to be a way to return to the appropriate season of Littleroot town based on some kind of time check. It occurred to me that this already exists with Shoal Cave (in a sense). Shoal Cave has 2 separate cave entrance maps; 1 for high tide and 1 for low tide. In Porymap, the warp from route 125 to Shoal Cave appears to only reference the low tide map, but depending on time, it should actually warp to the high tide map instead. If I could find how this was implemented, I figure the same theory could apply for seasons, but thus far I have been unable to determine how it warps to the high tide map when porymap only shows the low tide warp. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There's nothing special about the warp. It always takes you to ShoalCave_LowTideEntranceRoom, where an ON_TRANSITION map script will run before the map is loaded and selects which layout data the game will load.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Cool! Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking in the wrong places. Sounds like it should be easy enough to add warps to the "spring" version of any map, then add a map script similar to the Shoal Cave one to determine whether the spring, summer, fall, or winter version of the map actually loads. Given a bit more time and practice, I should be able to make that work I think. Thanks!

Back