• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lowered catch rates and other shady stuff

Butterbeamz

Butterbeamz
Years
  • Hello I've been playing pokemon go for a few days and I was easily able to catch low cp mons in one go but ever since the new update the catch rate seems to have been heavily skewed also mons seem to jump and attack more and sometimes even predict when I am about to throw my ball.
    The lowered catch rates and the lack of pokestops in suburban and rural areas makes it seem like Niantic wants people to buy pokeballs in a very shady way combined with the fact that the lowering of Catch rates wasn't even in the patch notes makes the situation extremely sketchy.
    Has anyone else experienced this? (Lower catch rates?)

buttlet32

Buttlet
    Years
  • Hello I've been playing pokemon go for a few days and I was easily able to catch low cp mons in one go but ever since the new update the catch rate seems to have been heavily skewed also mons seem to jump and attack more and sometimes even predict when I am about to throw my ball.
    The lowered catch rates and the lack of pokestops in suburban and rural areas makes it seem like Niantic wants people to buy pokeballs in a very shady way combined with the fact that the lowering of Catch rates wasn't even in the patch notes makes the situation extremely sketchy.
    Has anyone else experienced this? (Lower catch rates?)

I have and honestly I'm getting extremely annoyed by it. I don't like the new update, because I know that even though they didn't mention it, that they did in fact mess around with the catch rate. I'm about ready to quit playing temporarily, just until Niantic gets their act together. I'm not as hype for this game as I was when it first came out.

Years
  • Is it possible you've just been encountering stronger pokemon since the update? The only pokemon I've had breaking out/running away are the higher CP pokemon with a yellow rather than green ring. Green pokemon are still just as easy to catch for me, 9 times out of 10 I catch them on the first try.

I only encountered a few yellow pokemon before the update so I don't know if their difficulty has increased any.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • There are still many people trying to figure this out, but from what I've seen, it hasn't been proven conclusively that the capture rate has been decreased. If anything, the lack of the ability to get a true nice, great, or excellent throw bonus mixed into the capture equation may be making it more difficult. Seems like the smart people who perform these experiments are still collecting data, however.

Personally, I haven't noticed too much of a difference. I don't think it's a plot by Niantic to get you to buy more Poké Balls.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Let it be known that at one point today, I had way more Ultra Balls than regular Poké Balls.

3m98fUz.jpg

I should have taken a screenshot at a different time. Had about 60 Ultra Balls and fewer than 30 Poké Balls.

I ended up resorting to using Great Balls to catch Pidgeys and Weedles.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I think that pokestops are giving out more pokeballs as part of the update, there's a lot of things Niantic can do to improve the game and putting more pokestops in rural areas is one of them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2016
    Do curve shots still improve the catch rate after the patch? Can't seem to find any info on this anywhere.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    Hey glad you pointed it out. I was doing a 20min challenge the other day for my channel and a squirtal that had an orange ring cost me 7 pokeballs and I still wasnt able to catch it (made a video so there is proof). I thought it was suppose to be 50%? Anyhow, I thought it was just me.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Well a bit, but considering I'm catching 50+ pokemon daily it could just be that im seeing better pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    They definitely need to increase Pokestops for suburbs and rural areas. I live near the city, but I don't have the time to go downtown every few days to restock.

Butterbeamz

Butterbeamz
    Years
  • Pokemon with green rings and low cp have been breaking out much more out of the last 10 pidgeys I have caught which I made sure had 100-200cp out of those I only caught 3 and I wasted 17 pokeballs in total. I live in a suburban area with 3 pokestops 5 miles away so I make sure that all my throws are on point. I'm not the only person experiencing this as most of my friends and people on reddit are finding the same problems

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2019
    They definitely need to increase Pokestops for suburbs and rural areas. I live near the city, but I don't have the time to go downtown every few days to restock.
    And increase the amount of Pokemon that appear. I usually see three Pokemon close to me but if I take a five minute drive to a populated place I see a lot more Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    Someone over on Reddit delved into the code and determined that the catch rate had not been altered, at least not on the client side. If something has changed (and I can't say that I personally have noticed), then it's something that server is doing. I can't link it from work as Reddit is blocked, but I can when I get home if someone else hasn't already.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I have and honestly I'm getting extremely annoyed by it. I don't like the new update, because I know that even though they didn't mention it, that they did in fact mess around with the catch rate. I'm about ready to quit playing temporarily, just until Niantic gets their act together. I'm not as hype for this game as I was when it first came out.

Heaven forbid a game that actually becomes a challenge. Does every game have to be as easy is 1-> 2 -> 3?

I've actually found them running off more frequently to be hilarious. You run 30 balls and the guy just leaves, for me its hilarious. In my opinion, it gives the game a sort of excitement when you catch a meaty one. Does Niantic want more money? I dont' think so, 1.6 million a day is pretty decent if you ask me (I'm sure it's more now but last I read it was 1.6).

Also, I'm more hyped at the challenge they give to the game instead of the swipe to win type attitude. It drives you to farm for balls, then farm for Pokemon and then repeat the action over and over. It's genius.

Anyhow, I hope you don't stare at the negative so much but enjoy the game as a whole. Get out there and grab some balls to where them running off doesn't matter so much. Find a way to replenish your ball count and make it apart of your daily routine. Best of luck out there!

Years
  • I honestly haven't seen much difference in the catch rate since the update. It maybe that I am starting to encounter harder Pokemon to catch now and the dodge or attack or pop out more often IDK. The one thing that does annoy me about the new updates is they say they fixed the 3 steps away issue. Well they sure did by removing all steps on every Pokemon that is listed nearby. What sort of help is that?

Butterbeamz

Butterbeamz
    Years
  • Heaven forbid a game that actually becomes a challenge. Does every game have to be as easy is 1-> 2 -> 3?

I've actually found them running off more frequently to be hilarious. You run 30 balls and the guy just leaves, for me its hilarious. In my opinion, it gives the game a sort of excitement when you catch a meaty one. Does Niantic want more money? I dont' think so, 1.6 million a day is pretty decent if you ask me (I'm sure it's more now but last I read it was 1.6).

Also, I'm more hyped at the challenge they give to the game instead of the swipe to win type attitude. It drives you to farm for balls, then farm for Pokemon and then repeat the action over and over. It's genius.

Anyhow, I hope you don't stare at the negative so much but enjoy the game as a whole. Get out there and grab some balls to where them running off doesn't matter so much. Find a way to replenish your ball count and make it apart of your daily routine. Best of luck out there!
    Low cp pokemon should be extremely easy to catch they honestly shouldn't be a challenge, but for some odd reason they break away even more.
    Also I cannot make a 10 mile walk everyday and make it part of my daily routine as I have many other things to do. Niantic is honestly killing pokemon go in suburban and rural areas where pokestops are far and few unlike places like new York where it is very possible to hit 4-5 pokestops without even moving and allows them to easily farm ball. Pokemon breaking more often doesn't add a challenge but makes this game unplayable for people like me

I honestly haven't seen much difference in the catch rate since the update. It maybe that I am starting to encounter harder Pokemon to catch now and the dodge or attack or pop out more often IDK. The one thing that does annoy me about the new updates is they say they fixed the 3 steps away issue. Well they sure did by removing all steps on every Pokemon that is listed nearby. What sort of help is that?
    Don't forget that they removed tracking sites it's like they don't want us to find pokemon. A tracking game loses it purpose when you can't even track anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Don't forget that they removed tracking sites it's like they don't want us to find pokemon. A tracking game loses it purpose when you can't even track anymore

So true, Now I find myself just walking around aimlessly searching for the Pokemon that is nearby I don't have. Most of the time I get frustrated after awhile and give up and go home. In the beginning I was catching new Pokemon pretty regularly. Now with the tracking being so screwed up I may have caught 5 new Pokemon in the past 2 weeks.

Butterbeamz

Butterbeamz
    Years
  • So true, Now I find myself just walking around aimlessly searching for the Pokemon that is nearby I don't have. Most of the time I get frustrated after awhile and give up and go home. In the beginning I was catching new Pokemon pretty regularly. Now with the tracking being so screwed up I may have caught 5 new Pokemon in the past 2 weeks.
    FB_IMG_1470259998733.jpg

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Low cp pokemon should be extremely easy to catch they honestly shouldn't be a challenge, but for some odd reason they break away even more.
    Also I cannot make a 10 mile walk everyday and make it part of my daily routine as I have many other things to do. Niantic is honestly killing Pokemon go in suburban and rural areas where pokestops are far and few unlike places like new York where it is very possible to hit 4-5 pokestops without even moving and allows them to easily farm ball. Pokemon breaking more often doesn't add a challenge but makes this game unplayable for people like me

I hear ya boss. I went out today on lunch to catch and ball farm - it was more of a challenge but in all honesty I wish they didn't allow (in the beginning) the ability to catch so many with ease.

However, this is me leaning towards what you are saying.

I think that when you do encounter lower CP Pokemon that depending on Level of your character aka trainer - your ability to catch these Pokemon should be elevated. I say this not because I'm stripping the challenge but only adhering to the fact that if I'm a level 20+ I should be a better trainer than a level 5 trainer. Nonetheless, I do laugh quite a bit when I see them run off, it makes me chuckle especially when it happens to a friend that I'm playing with. In all honesty, it just makes the game more interesting to me.

Further, one thing I will agree with you on, is the amount of Pokestops in your or a particular area - there should be an area where you can map out your farming for balls. I live in Southern Cali and Pokestops are in abundance. I have a park over here that is maybe a 30 minute walk with a total of 62 pokestops in it - if I didn't have this so close by, I'd probably be in your shoes. Hence my agreement.

Years
  • Pokemon with green rings and low cp have been breaking out much more out of the last 10 pidgeys I have caught which I made sure had 100-200cp out of those I only caught 3 and I wasted 17 pokeballs in total. I live in a suburban area with 3 pokestops 5 miles away so I make sure that all my throws are on point. I'm not the only person experiencing this as most of my friends and people on reddit are finding the same problems
    This is exactly why I do not go after those Pokemon I have already caught and already evolved anymore. True I could increase there strength, but not at the expense of losing 5-7 Pokeballs to try and catch a Pidgey or something like that.

Back