• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] Incision [Working Title]

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
Spoiler:

Chapter 1: Cells

Tick tock...

Tick tock...

The clock was the only sound in the background as I worked. The room was dimly lit by the lamps I had overhead of the operational table. It smelled like blood, my blood precisely. The stitch marks on my right arm being a sign of what I had just done. I had injected a formula I had made into my bones that should make them stronger, it was one step towards making me a match for other Transcendent's. Those with powers that were above even magic in this rather absurd world.

My thoughts were interrupted abruptly as the doors to my workshop opened.

"Doctor! Doctor Klein! The townspeople...they're at the main gate! They seem really upset!" My young ward, Franky, was such a bright young boy. He was approximately 14 or 15 if I remember correctly. Despite the rather questionable work I did he always seemed to understand that I never had any bad intentions behind what I did. It helped my case that I had cured his mother last year. His chipper attitude and overall brightness did wonders for the daily dullness I faced. Since he brought this to my attention it must be very serious.

"I suppose I should go and address the people then. Would you be so kind as to tell the people to give me a minute to clean myself up, appearing before them as I am now might give the wrong impression." I said as I hopped off the operation table. My now bloody lab coat was off to the side and the many stitches on my upper body were visible. I didn't want the people to peg me as a mad scientist and my current attire wouldn't fend against that.

"Okay sir! I'll tell them you'll be out in a minute." Running off just as abruptly as he appeared, Franky exited my workshop. His cheer and general positivity brought a small smile to my face as I went over to the closet in the left corner of the room. Opening it revealed many white lab coats, patchwork shirts of varying colours, and black pants.

I had a bit of OCD when it came to selecting my attire, hence the many copies of what I usually wore. It didn't help that my practice usually bloodied my clothes up frequently. Throwing on one of the shirts, it was a light blue colour, and one of my lab coats I went over to the large mirror in the room.

While it was dim I could still make out my features quite clearly, enhanced vision had been one of the first modifications I had made to myself, I was rather clean looking. My hair was short and rather neat with a few strands sticking out here and there, nothing that the people would mind. My, unnecessary, glasses hung low on my face and the familiar grey eyes stared at me. My appearance was decent, nothing amazing but more relatable to the people.

"Well I suppose they should be getting quite angry at Franky and me forcing them to wait, this town's people were always quite the rowdy bunch." I chuckled as I made my way out of my workshop and outside. Passing briefly through the store area I quickly made my way outside as my ears were assaulted by a cacophony of sound.

"Where is that hack Doctor!?"

"That piece of **** said he'd get us a cure, where is it!?"

"He promised me he'd save my daughter! She's dying right now!"

"He still needs to make my daughter beautiful!"

"We had a deal that'd he give me a bigger bottom!"

Comments like these were being yelled out all at once and if I hadn't altered my ears I doubted that I would have made out what the people were yelling about. They seemed pretty mad about the fact that I didn't give them the cure yet, and to a lesser extent I also needed to complete some of my side deals.

I never truly understood why people wanted him to alter their outward appearance to make them more appealing, surely they understood that physical beauty only got you so far right? Well, it wasn't my businessI suppose, I was still paid for those tedious services.

"C-Calm down! Doctor Klein will be out shortly! Just please wait patiently!" Franky was trying to cajole the crowd into calming down, but it seemed that it wasn't working too well if the fact that they only seemed to get louder was any inclination. I should step in now before the local guild decided to step in and handle the crowd, they were too physical for my tastes.

"What seems to be the problem?" My voice was calm as the voices died down as one person stepped out of the crowd. He was as nearly as tall as me, I myself standing at around 6ft, but was much more muscular. His messy white hair and goatee despite him being only in his 40's made him stand out. His name was Hier Phant, and he was the mayor of Oriold. Stalking towards me he looked rather pissed if I was to be honest.

"The problem, Klein-" There was noticeable venom in his voice as he spoke my name. "Is the fact that you promised the people here that'd you cure the victim's from last month's attack. It's been three and a half weeks and those people are still dying, while you lounge about in your store doing nothing!" His face was red from rage as his voice turned to a yell near the end.

"And your point?" I inquired as the man seemingly only got more enraged.

"The point is, that if you don't have a cure for us right now, you can know that your life is forfeit." As he finished his statement purple flames surrounded his form. I guess that the rumour that he had a Controller ability was correct. Mentally analyzing it, I categorized it as an Controller D or C, somewhat dangerous if not handled correctly but not an immediate threat.

"Hmm, that is rather worrisome. I suppose I should give you this then." Reaching into my pocket I pulled out two small glass bottles filled to the brim with pills. I hadn't just been doing nothing, I took my work rather seriously after all and I liked the challenge of figuring out a cure to a virus I hadn't known about.

"This should be enough for the entire town if necessary, take one of those and the strange growths, rashes, and other conditions will go away. You should also be immune to the virus if you are inflicted again, at least to a certain degree." The mayor lost his angered look and numbly stared at me as I dropped the bottles into his hand that he outstretched towards me. I wish I had one of those cameras from Netech Land, his face was...priceless.

"Now can I return to my store or do you have some other business with me Mayor?" After a moment the Mayor recovered and spoke, his words held thinly concealed anger at me.

"...You're treading thin ice doctor, a message from the capital came in today." Pulling out a black envelope from the coat he wore, he held it towards me.

"Oh, I wonder what could have brought this about." The unspoken question was obvious as I took the paper from his hand.

"Don't know, and don't particularly care. Even though I was assigned mayor here, I never much cared for the politics. Knowing you, they probably think your some sort of Apostle and I wouldn't blame 'em. You're a sneaky bastard and I swear that you're hiding something." Well, he wasn't wrong, but he didn't need to know that.

"As you know I don't have any supernatural ability like an Apostle, so it's doubtful that they'd classify me as one." That was the truth, mostly anyways.

"I wouldn't be surprised if yer lying, but I have more important things to deal with." Turning around to face the crowd he spoke loudly. "Everybody that needs a cure for themselves or a family member come with me, and the for the rest of ya, if you don't have some appointment with the Doctor go back to what you were doing!" His voice projected itself amongst the crowd and they were quick to disperse, with a few of them staying behind.

"Well, Mr. Gordonia and Ms. Arial, I suppose you would like me to help you with each of your requests. Am I correct?" They were rather vain people, but unlike other people that required my medical help they kept coming back for the smallest of things. People like this were interesting too, but also very tiring.

"I'd like to make an appointment for my daughter tomorrow Doctor, that is fine right?" They way he phrased that made it seem as if it was already an assured thing, that I was just going to go with his wishes.

Mr. Gordonia was a middle-aged man with short slicked-back brown hair and most noticeably was the long beard he sported. He was a man of notable wealth, money that he had gotten from some rather lucrative investments within Netechland and Capeton Bay. His daughter was notoriously plain compared to her brother that was a prodigy in the creative arts and was an author of some renown. His daughter was a bit of an ugly duckling when compared to the rest of his family, I had no doubt that it was just a case of being a late bloomer, but I kept my words to myself.

"I'm sorry, but I doubt I'll be available for awhile or so." Showing him the best envelope in my hand, his eyes narrowed in recognition of the peculiar black colour.

"So it seems the capital is finally aware of your presence, I suppose it was only a matter of time. Well, it is of no matter, when you get back we can reschedule." Pulling out from his pocket a cellphone, with a stylish NH on the back showing it came from Netechland, he checked the time.

"I must be going Doctor Klein, I have a meeting with one of my backers in twenty minutes. We shall talk again after you get back." With his piece said he walked away, a vehicle pulling around the corner of my building shortly after told me that he apparently owned a car. Those with money do tend to be able to buy leisure items whenever they wish I suppose, however that wasn't my business.

"Ms. Arial, what exactly do you need from me today?" I tried not let any irritation slip into my voice, but if I was being honest I kind of wanted to get back to my lab. I still needed to read whatever the capital had sent me and quite possibly edit my muscles a bit more.

"Mr. Klein, don't be like that. You must already know what I need you to do for me. I need another beauty enhancement." Her tone was like honey and her voice was melodic, but I knew it was all artificial.

Arial was a beautiful blonde woman, or so she liked others to believe. She was approximately 87 years old, but didn't look a day over 20 due to my own skills and her ability to suck the life from others previously. She was shapely when I had first met her, but now she was even more so. All in her goal to become the most beautiful. The low-cut green and white dress she wore left almost nothing to the imagination and if she wasn't the mayor's "wife", Phant would've done something about her most likely.

"You are already rather attractive Ms. Arial, what else would you have me do to you?" There was quite literally almost nothing left that I hadn't already done to her, when her bust had suddenly increased over night due to a pill I had made she had pestered me for more, beauty enhancements as she called them, every time she was in one of her moods.

"Don't be like that, beauty is something that can always be improved upon. Besides, for someone such as yourself making something that can get solve my problem should be simple. I just want to make my butt a bit bigger, I've heard the men around town talk about how they love a women with a big and firm butt. Maybe this'll get even you in my bed Doctor." She finished with a giggle, her words were utterly shameless. I don't how such a shameless women can act so proper when she must.

"Doubtful, I don't seek the pleasures of flesh from one such as yourself." I spoke with a deadpan tone as I looked at her with my eyebrow raised. She held a crush for me, out of admiration for being the first man to stop her advances and being the only one to reach out and help her when she had first gotten her ability. I kind of wished someone else had done so, she was an odd friend to have.

"Silly, you only say that because you haven't been with me before. If you did me and you could elope and just go away from it all. It would be so romantic! We could get a home in Tropigical or even Loveladise and then...and then..." She trailed off and let out a squeal as she put both her hands up to her reddening face, I didn't want to know what fantasy she was currently having. Knowing her it was extremely provocative, and would only get worse the longer she was allowed to continue thinking about it.

"Ms. Arial, could you keep your thoughts on the here and now. There is a time and place for such lewdness." Clenching my fist, I bonked her on the head to take her out of the lewd thoughts that she was no doubt thinking. The demure smile that spread across her face did not allay my worries about what she was thinking about.

"Very true my dear Doctor, perhaps we could take this inside your office and you could give me a personal check-up instead?" Her words very clearly hinted at what exactly she wanted to do with me. Placing my hand against my face I sighed, she was so very troublesome.

"How about no and I just give you what you actually came here for?" I pulled out of my left coat pocket a small vial filled with a purple liquid. Even though I have better things to do, I always make sure to complete my promises. Even the inane ones.

"Oh well, this'll do I suppose. I'd much rather be injected with your own personal liquid, but this will substitute for now. One day you'll fall for my charms my dear Doctor, until then I'll see you around." Blowing me a kiss of farewell she started to walk away, women really were such strange beings. Now that, that matter was taken care of I should deal with this message from the Capital.

Whatever it was, I had a feeling that it was going to stir up quite some trouble. Conflict was good for experimentation.​

Lucifer-san

Years
Chapter 2: Are building blocks

To one Dr. Klein

Your presence has been made note of as of late due to your work in Oriold. You have been requested by Captain Messiah and Captain Gunner of the Legacy Guild. This is a matter of immediate concern and as such if you fail to turn up within one week due to circumstances in or out of your hands, we will send a response team to bring you here. If it is impossible to find you and it appears as if you are fleeing we will do everything in our power to find you and bring you here, with or without your consent. We hope you have a safe journey.

From
Visionary

As I finished reading the message it burned to ashes shortly after, as if in direct correlation to me finishing it. It had been roughly an hour since the debacle with the people and I sat in my lab contemplating the news I had received. I was requested by the Legacy Guild, a rather well-known guild that operated out of the Capital of Orist, Unigen. Calling Legacy a guild however, was a rather incorrect assessment. It was rather widely known that they worked more like a large scale organization and were the base of operations in which all guild missions and Apostle business went through first. Having the Transcendent Messiah helped them gain the power they currently had.

Transcendent's were a class of Apostle so far above the norm that their powers far outclassed any thing that a normal Apostle could do. Messiah specialized in energy, had he really wanted to he could wipe a continent like Netechland off the face of the map if given enough incentive and time. Netechland was roughly ten million miles in size. It was something that would make even me reluctant to engage him in a fight, I suppose we were lucky he was a hero currently.

What was more important however was the fact that I had apparently caught the attention of Legacy. While not necessarily doing everything in my power to keep my reputation unknown, generally those who I worked with knew me as nothing more than a strange yet really efficient doctor.

"I suppose it would only be right that I get there as quickly as possible then. Franky!" I yelled out as I clicked a button on my desk, a mechanical grinding signalled the opening of the large door in the back portion of my lab.

"Yes, Doctor Klein. Did you call me?" Franky was quick to appear to my summons. Patting his wild brown hair I spoke.

"Franky, I'll be going on a bit of business for a week or two, while I'm away can I trust you to take care of the shop? It shouldn't be anything too hard, just basic maintenance and making sure no one comes in that shouldn't. Things like that."

"Okay, sir! I got this, just leave it to me" Giving a salute to me, I responded by ruffling his hair.

"Good. I leave the shop in your capable hands then." Walking over to where the door opened, I grinned as two headlights shone through the darkness. I hadn't used Dullahan in awhile, there had been no need for it since I had no reason to travel when I made decent money here and didn't need to roam to find supplies. Dullahan was my old motorcycle I had...acquired from Netechland some years back. It had been a very helpful accomplice during my early travels.

Hopping on the bike I briefly inspected it. The dull orange tones of the bike made it perfect for the desert along with the specialized off-road tires. The rest of the bike was made out of a silver-like material that I hadn't been able to analyze without harming the structure of the bike itself, though with my skills I didn't doubt that I'd eventually be able to do it with enough effort. Taking off my glasses I put them in one of my coat pockets as I revved the engine and gradually turned the bike around as a ramp up out of the store formed itself. You had to love the ingenuity of Netechland.

"Well Franky, I'm off." With another rev of the engine I speeded up the ramp and out onto the street. The shrieks of surprise as I zoomed by the civilians on the dirt roads of Oriold followed me as the roar of my bike engine sounded out. In only a minute I was out of the town limits and on the dirt road leading towards Worlrot, the second largest city of Orist. Worlrot, besides having a few items I needed to pick up, would probably be as far as my bike could make it without being recharged.

The wind blew through my hair as the scenery rushed by me as I sped by the vibrant background. Despite the large trees and grassy fields surrounding me as I passed, I could already see in the distance the large artistic buildings of Worlrot. It had changed greatly in the couple of years since the Apostle Builder had made his way there.

As his hero name implied he specialized in building things, but more specifically building grandiose structures that were said to be perfect for nearly anything. A rumour I had heard awhile back had said that he had made essentially a room in one of his buildings that could dilate time. He had a really interesting power, if I was to be honest.

Perhaps during my time here I could get in contact with him and work out a contract so that he could increase the size of my lab. A doctor such as myself could never have enough space to work, though I suppose I could also double as a scientist at times. Though, I was almost there now. Just one of the benefits of having a magical and scientific wonder of a motorcycle, I suppose.

The road had changed from dirt to a much smoother material, looking down briefly I could tell it was some sort of quartz material. Looking upon the glittering city in the immediate distance I let myself gain a bit of hope that things would go well enough. Stopping in the town for a refuel, I was quite hungry seeing as I haven't had to eat in the last two days, I let myself relax a bit. What could possibly go wrong?

In only about 30 minutes or so I ended up regretting my words. I had been walking down the street to the nearest bar to get some food and drink only to run into trouble. Trouble that I was quite familiar with.

Surrounding me were three members of Bullet Label, a gang of sorts whose only real reputable members were the Apostles Remi and Bullet. I cursed my luck for what had to be the three hundredth time. I had stopped traveling awhile back because my luck is quite awful, I had been dragged into bad situations often enough that people who knew of me called me the Plague Doctor. This was nothing new to me.

"So, I presume you three have some business with me then, am I correct?" My voice was dull as my eyes dotted back and forth taking in the three people surrounding me in the alleyway. One of them stepped forward with an almost lazy gait.

The one in front was obviously the leader of the small group. He wore a somewhat ratty brown pea coat, tattered jeans, and lavender beanie. The way he held himself was quite different from the other two, he looked experienced as if he was active fighter. I could tell by the way he seemed to hold himself, as if he was a tightly coiled spring ready to lash out at any time.

"Our boss told us to be on the lookout for a strange guy in a lab coat. Since, you're the only guy I've seen who fits that bill you're coming with us buddy." Reaching into his jacket he pulled out a knife with a jagged blade. "Whether we do it peacefully or not is up to you."

"Hmm, of course Bullet would still want my head. How wicked of her to keep a grudge for so long." Raising my hands up into the air in a sign of surrender I analyzed my surroundings critically. The two thugs behind the leader were no threat, they didn't seem to have any sort of ability nor outstanding traits and were merely payed muscle, easy targets to take down.

My hands blurred as two scalpels shot forward at the necks of the two thugs. They both would soon be asleep as the drug laced onto the blade kicked in, or at least that would've happened had the leader not intervened. The sound of metal meeting metal met my ears as the two scalpels were cut into pieces as soon as they came close to their leader.

"Fascinating, you managed to save your thugs from being taken out in the opening move. Not only that, you also managed to see the weapon I used and react accordingly. Truly, you are a suitable mid-boss." I applauded his efforts, a half hearted throw by me was still very dangerous to most after all. However, this proved my theory somewhat.

"So, you must have some sort of special ability, I presume. Bullet wouldn't let a normal human attempt to capture me after all, it'd be in a word stupid."

"Yeah, they call me Knives." The look he sent me was particularly glacier at this point, as he slid into a ready stance with his knife held in a reverse grip in one hand and the other in his pocket he spoke. "Rude, Jeremiah, get out of here. I can't promise that you'll be safe other wise. Go and inform Remi or Bullet that I found the target."

"Okay boss." One of the unremarkable thugs said as they both made their way away from the alley-way. I thought to take them out, but decided against it. By the time they had gotten to Bullet, I'd already be gone. This wouldn't take long at all.

"Smart move. Alerting superior forces to my presence so that instead of taking me out, you only need stall me. Unfortunately for you, I do not have time to be wasting here so it looks like I'll have to move you by force, unless you would let me pass now?" I questioned him, it was only nice to give the adversary an easy way out

"I have a job I need to do, and if you think I'm going to let you pass without a fight you must be a real idiot." Knives spoke simply as he looked at me with determined eyes. It seems he was quite serious about stalling me.

"I really do not wish to fight you boy." My words were sincere as I spoke. I had better things to do, besides I was beginning to feel slight pangs of hunger. Note to self, move plans on implementing an autotrophic biological system into myself up the list when able to do so.

"Fine. Then just stand there and get cut up then. It'd be easier to bring you back to those broads if you're unconscious." Swinging his knife at my direction, my instincts made me move to the left a few inches just in time as I noticed the focused blast of wind.

"A wind based ability, hmm maybe a Controller or Shifter. Level of power is unidentifiable due to lack of information." I voiced robotically to myself as my brain worked overtime to analyze the info I did have.

"If you're going to just stand around, you might as well let me catch you." Slicing towards me rapidly in a square formation he must've thought he had me. Jumping through the space that the square provided for me I launched three scalpels forwards and cut through the ensuring air blade sent at me. Landing on my feet I decided I had gotten enough info.

"Oh well. Just remember I gave you an out, boy." My words were cold as I pushed my glasses up with one finger.

"Let the operation commence."​

Last edited:

Lucifer-san

Years
Author's note:
Spoiler:

Chapter 3: Of our life

My knife was the only thing that was constant in my life.

I had been on the streets since I was young, had been since my parents had gotten involved with Bullet Label. Though back then, they had went by another name, Bloody Label. The chick in charge was crazy, and the town was ruled by her with an iron grip. Word had it that she was some sort of vampire, as I kid I believed that too.

The streets were hard, even as a kid I had gotten the short end of the stick. People went out of their way to ignore me, and some of the more bolder ones tried to take away the meager scraps that I scrounged up for myself. I didn't blame them, this wasn't a safe town and if you weren't cowering in your home or trying to stay on the good side of the gang then it was almost certain you'd die.

I was a survivor, though. My power assured that I could survive even amongst the people that sold the "candy" to others, those that would try and hurt others, even those shitty women who led others into their home to never be seen again. I could simply...cut whatever threatened me. I had learned very young how to survive, but even I wasn't ready to meet those two people.

The man known as the Plague Doctor and the bloody vampire of Worlrot, Remi.

I had been maybe about, 11 years old, when I talked to him. I was still living on the street, but I had a set-up that worked well for me. I swindled from those I could and actually stole whatever items I might need from the shops run by the branches of the gang, my ability made it easy. It had been a successful day for me, I had snatched a few 100 dollar bills from a passerby and was able to buy the burgundy pea-coat I wanted.

I hadn't realized I had been trailed, so as I entered the normal alleyway I stewed in I was surprised by the woman that stood in front of me. I instinctually backed a few steps away as the air around me became heavier and heavier, so much so that it was...paralyzing. She wore a long black dress, with lots of frills. Her light blue hair flowed down to her back and ended in curls, but what stood out was her eyes.

Glowing crimson eyes, they bore into me with what I could only connect with disinterest. The same disinterest that one would have if they were looking at an ant, it had terrified me. Her face held the same disinterest, but the small smile on her face was enough of a tell to show me how royally fucked I was.

"Oh me oh my, what do we have here. I would not have thought that the person who had stolen from me was but a child. Such a baby-faced boy as yourself should not have to do such things, so if you would be so kind as to tell me why I might change my mind on what to do about you." Her voice was dreamy, in the sense that she sounded sleepy but lucid at the same time, it was hard to explain.

"I...my parents..." I muttered lowly, forcing myself to stop trembling and failing badly at it. Did she really not know what she had done? I could remember when people rushed into our home, with red glazed eyes, and they...they...

"Please speak up my dear boy, I can't hear you."

"My parents...you..."

"Come on then, out with it."

I was too angry to have even thought about looking at her face, but I could feel the smile on her face. I could feel her staring at me with those cruel eyes of hers, I grabbed the blade in my pocket as I let out a yell of pure unbridled rage.

"You killed them! You killed my mom and dad, you monster!" I had yelled as I whipped the knife in my pocket and swung at the woman who had essentially caused all of my problems. I put all of my anger and all of the strife I had went through into my swing and the result was the complete bisection of Remi's torso and lower half.

I stood there in shock. The top half slowly slid from its spot until it landed with a meaty thud. Was the nightmare so easily extinguished? I stood with my blade in my hand trembling, I couldn't believe that I had did this. I had ended her. I had done it. I had really did it! I had killed the woman in charge of those people who had been responsible for all my suffering.

No one else would have to live a life like mine, or at least that's what I had thought and then I heard laughter. It wasn't a laugh from the belly or a giddy laugh, no the giggling I heard was one that made me almost piss myself. The pressure I felt increased tenfold and I shook as my teeth began to chatter.

"Oh, so perhaps you're more than just your average little orphan." Her very body seemed to distort itself as it came back together, in only a matter of moments the damage done to her had vanished. Her eyes gleamed with something, madness maybe, I had been too scared to think about it.

"N-no, go away!" I sliced the air in front of me again and again watching as the woman in front of me would be dismembered only for the wounds to seemingly go away. It was all ineffective, and the smile on her face grew and I could see pronounced fangs showing as she looked at me. It was...terrifying.

"Maybe you'll have some worth after all, now come here little one~." She was steadily growing closer and closer, I really feared for my life then. The one ability I had that gave me the ability to survive, to be special enough to survive in this crapsack city, wasn't working. I had called out for someone to save me, I wanted my mom and dad to come and tell me it would be alright, but as a pale hand reached out to grab me I received salvation.

"Let go of the boy, miss." I heard a squelching sound and a dull thud along with the new voice, opening my eyes I took in the sight of the man in front of me. He wore a long black coat, and the rest of his attire was much the same. His blood red hair and opaque glasses were his most distinctive features, in his hand were multiple scalpels. On the ground was one of Remi's arms.

"Oh, and who would you be?" The interest in her voice reminded me of the fact that she was still here. That also made me scoot backwards and put as much space as I could between me and her. I noted that she had somehow gotten her arm back

"Hmm, I suppose you could say I'm a Doctor of sorts, though I'm a bit out of practice. On to more pressing manners mam, what were you about to do to this child?" His voice was near monotonous, almost robot like, I had thought at the time that maybe he was a robot like the ones built in Netech.

"Mmm~ I don't see why I should tell you that." Remi simply held one of her gloved hands in front of her face in a manner befitting a princess from one of those story books I read, on her though it was not nearly as sweet as it normally would be. It was horrifying.

"I wished you'd be a bit more cooperative, because I do not like to see children harmed whether it be mentally, physically, or verbally. So, once more, I ask you...what were you about to do to this child." Cold, like steel. His voice was sharp, sharper than even my blade. The fact that even Remi looked off-balance, if for just a second, proved that to me.

"Such steel. You're even more interesting than the boy, Doctor~. Why don't you become one of my toys in place of the boy? I promise I'll let him go."

She was lying, people like her didn't have a specific tell, but my gut told me she was lying. Just like the other adults, she'd go back on this promise as soon as she was able to do so. Her crimson eyes gazed at the doctor in front of me with interest, I would be lying if I say I wasn't interested about who the guy was too, but surviving this situation came first.

"I'm sorry, but I must decline. I have too many things left to do, and I refuse to be anyone's toy. It'd go against all of my own principles."

"Hmm," The smile on her face narrowed a bit, that was a bad sign. "I don't believe you have a choice in this situation, Doctor."

She was a blur to my eye as it only took one moment for her to be in front of the doctor, he was going to die. I resigned myself in that instance, my own attempts had been ineffective, so if this man was going to die then I was effectively screwed. However, Remi suddenly stopped...her hand only inches away from the man's chest.

"It appears the poison managed to kick in."

Poison?

"Remi, former name Asuka Djinn and of mixed ethnicities. An effective B-ranked threat with a potential for a low A classification in power. Despite her power being one of the more esoteric ones, the effective semi-immortality it gives along with minor reality distortion makes her a serious threat if one is not strong enough."

The man pulled out what appeared to be a marker as a small grin grew on his face. What was he about to do?

"However, the immortality can be tricked if one figures out a specific trick. While, normally this would be the point that I'd tell you you're weakness, I think I'll keep it to myself. I never know after all if I might end up fighting you once again."

As he drew whiskers on her face, I could see those malevolent crimson eyes watch him intently. He made things look so easy, he had taken the vampire out in only one brief exchange. She was...helpless. I drew my knife and gathered whatever I courage I had at the time, but right as I decided to end things a hand stopped me. How had he moved so fast?

"Why?" With a curious expression on his face, he asked me that simple question.

"S-she killed my parents, she made this place how bad it is now, she ruined everyone's life! I wanna fix things, make them back to how they were before that bitch came here!" I actually cursed because I was so filled with hate, one of the few times I had gotten so worked up actually.

"I see, you don't know her circumstances then. I normally wouldn't do this, but I suppose I can make a brief exception." Reaching into his pocket he gave me what looked to be a polished knife. Looking at it I could tell it was of a much higher quality than anything I'd ever seen, and he was holding it out towards me.

"What?"

"You said you wish to exact revenge, then take this weapon. The dingy little knife you have with you now does not make the best use of your power, this knife should do the trick if you're trying to kill her. Though, if you should kill her, I suppose that would make you a killer just like her."

"What!? After everything she did, I'd be a murderer if I killed her!? That's ridiculous! If anything the people would praise me as a hero."

"Perhaps they would, but perhaps you'd also be chased and hunted down by her supporters. Though, ultimately you'd still be a killer. One with a better reason than most, admittedly. It doesn't change the fact that you'd be robbing her of her life while she is completely and utterly defenceless."

"B-but, how else am I supposed to defeat her!" I didn't notice at the time, but I had been tearing up. "I couldn't do anything when she was able to fight me, if she had wanted to she could've..."

"Killed you? Of course, that can happen in a fight against a strong or more skilled opponent. But, there are more than just one way to end a fight. If you're not strong enough to obtain these other ways, then simply become stronger."

"But, how? She'd constantly be watching me and would be hunting me down, even if I wanted to get strong enough to fight back she'd stop me before I was able to do so! So what am I supposed to do?"

"Hmm, perhaps you can figure that out in the future? While I could deal with this woman right now, I have taken an oath recently to prevent death where I can. You have the potential to be immensely strong, in under a decade if you are creative and within a year or two if you were a genius. However, maybe I should say that being a killer isn't necessarily bad."

"What are you even talking about? You're not making any sense!" I'd yelled as I looked at the man that had saved me. His only immediate response was to chuckle slightly.

"I suppose I've never been good with this talking thing, huh? I suppose the main point behind this is that you won't be satisfied by killing a weakened opponent, and more importantly you will change. Even if the person you kill is evil, it will affect you. You'll always wonder whether you made the right choice or not, that maybe there could've been a different way. Are you prepared for such a fate?"

As he walked away, I seriously considered whether I could go through with killing her. My body trembled at the prospect of ending another's life, but as I looked at her still paralyzed body I dropped to the ground and shuddered. I didn't want to be anything like her, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

My younger self couldn't go through with it, I hadn't really ever thought about what killing someone had meant. Even the people I had attacked then to survive, I hadn't killed. Thinking back on it all, I kind of regret not going through with it. I had killed people now, because I hadn't killed her then...but, it wasn't all bad I guess. I had made a few friends in this ****ed up city and was steadily gaining enough strength to fight her, it would only be a matter of time.

Why was I even thinking about the past anyways?

"I'm sorry I had to do that. However, I do not wish to be held back by such trivialities any longer. May we never meet again, boy."

Oh, I was dying...I think. He'd cut me down with one of those scalpels of his, I hadn't even been able to see it, but I could feel numerous small cuts on my skin. The man that had saved me that day, had been the one to kill me as well. I guess that would be some sort of irony. The sound of his footsteps coming closer made me raise my head ever so slightly.

He squatted next to me and looked at me with his steely grey eyes, I couldn't defend myself now even if I wanted to. I could only guess that he had used that same poison from al those years ago.

"Hmm, despite this being a minor altercation, I can decisively say you've grown quite a ways stronger boy. I had momentarily forgotten about you, so you have my apologies." Patting my head he stood up and began walking away. "I retract my earlier statement, if you survive I hope that one day once you become a suitably interesting asset, we meet once more. Until then, goodbye."

And just like that he was gone. He was just as enigmatic as he was then, huh why did I feel so tired? My eyes were heavy, I guess that fight had taken more out of me than I had thought. It wouldn't hurt to take a brief nap I guess. One day, I'd be strong enough to fight that monster woman and then maybe I could...maybe I could get some sort of peace.​

Last edited:

Lucifer-san

Years
Chapter 4: Like grains of sand

I was surprised I hadn't recognized the boy when I had seen him, he looked similar now that I had gotten a few moments to think about it. He was wearing a similar peacoat, and he still had the knife that I had given him then. I could only wonder how he'd gotten caught up in a gang, but I could only guess that he wasn't able to get away from that Apostle from then.

I needed to get out of this town soon, those thugs from earlier had undoubtedly alerted one of their bosses to my presence. I had already refuelled my vehicle earlier, and I could go without food for a bit longer so there would be nothing giving me pause. As I edged a few steps out of the alleyway, I could hear the tell-tale signs of people coming closer to my position.

I guess those mooks were faster than I had given them credit for, I guess a bit of stealth would be required then. Pulling a small glass cube from one of my many coat pockets I took a deep breath and then threw it at the ground just outside the alleyway. Dashing through the resulting smokescreen I grinned slightly at the coughing noises. A mixture of chilli pepper and tear gas, they'd be fine if rather irritated. I didn't know how many were following me, but I could make a guess of it being about 10 or so people.

"Get back here!"

Guess I didn't get everyone with that one, that was fine. I had one more combination I wanted to test anyways. Grabbing two more cubes I threw them behind me without stopping to look, the startled yells as they slipped on marbles and were covered in lemon juice was nice. I hadn't used the joke cubes in months, however I needed a more permanent solution to get them off of my back.

Napalm plus my own personal invention, glass that when broken created enough friction to spark slightly. I still needed to come up with a better name, but as I threw a few behind me the resulting screams and explosion confirmed my invention as a success. It was lethal and easily reproduced, making it the perfect tool for crowd control.

Slamming into and breaking a random door, of what could only be an abandoned house, I ran into the building quickly. There were cobwebs here and there, along with the smell of decaying wood and rot. The carpet that was probably nice once, was a murky brown and peeling here and there. Seems this was one of those houses that managed to survive the reconstruction done by Builder, that just meant it'd serve my purposes better.

"He went in there guys, hurry the hell up before he gets away!" The loud voice of one of the generic thugs rang out behind me, that was good, it meant they were following me. Reaching into my inner-coat pocket I grabbed a singular large cube and placed it on the floor before moving farther into the house.

I needed to find a decent hiding spot, otherwise this would get much more messy than I intended. Bounding up the stairs by threes, I quickly ducked into one of the least foul smelling rooms. Enhanced senses had their drawbacks, I would make sure to make a node of some sort that would allow me to circumvent the problem of foul smelling things becoming worse.

"Ah!" Turning my head slowly, I saw the cause of the scream. It was two dirty looking females, one of them being a child and the other being around thirty in age or so. I didn't know why exactly they just happened to be here or what circumstances brought them here to begin with, but they were surely unfortunate.

A loud explosion emanated from below us, those goons had to choose right now to come in here of all times. I suppose I couldn't have changed this, next time though I'll make sure to check for civilians before I decide to place down the equivalent of a motion detonated bomb. As the explosion rocked the building fire was beginning to quickly spread along with parts of the foundation breaking, it was only natural that the civilians let out a shout of surprise.

"Hmm, there's no need to be worried about the collapse of your...refuge. I shall personally make sure your belongings are replaced and that you have a new safe haven available to you as soon as possible." I tried to relieve them of their worries, but the panicked looks on their face only got worse as the fire spread.

"I suppose I should get you both out here, if let in here any longer the smoke will most likely kill you." Walking up to the wall that looked like it had seen better days I mentally calculated the most effective place to hit it. I checked for marks of decay that were the most prevalent and any signs of chipping wood. Going over to the far right of the wall, I reared back and kicked the wall with immense force.

"We should leave now, I wouldn't want the collapsing building to crush you two." Grabbing the stunned mother and child I put one under my arm and the over my shoulder before jumping out of the perfect rectangle I had formed in the wall. You had to love math sometimes, especially when you can apply it in situations like this.

"Ahhh!" The yells of the two were prevalent as I fell fast to the ground, I should've paid more attention to what floor I had went up to. Apparently I had just jumped out of a three story building, it was very lucky for me that I had a skeletal system that was as tough as steel. Landing on the ground, a large amount of dust and rocks flew away from the small crater I had made.

"You are saved civilians," Putting the two on the ground slowly and making sure they were not hurt, I could see the mother had what appeared to be a bruised stomach, the way she held her stomach was an obvious sign. "Mam, eat this it should heal you." Holding out a vial filled with a red liquid, that I had pulled out of one of my many pockets, the woman took and drunk it down in one gulp.

"Thank you for saving us but, get away from me and my boy, you psycho!" The sound of her hand meeting my face echoed in my ear as I stood there.

"Huh," Touching my cheek as if to confirm that I had just been smacked by some homeless woman, I didn't care as the woman grabbed her boy up and ran. Why had she smacked me? Had it been something that I had did? Humans were such confusing creatures.

Turning around to walk away I was surprised as a sharp pain ran through my neck. Turning around quickly, my body moved on instinct as my hand reached up in front my face. In between two of my fingers was a bullet.

"Is that all?"

"Nope, you old ****er."

Before, I could think to figure out where exactly that voice I wave of nausea washed over me. My limbs felt numb and the world was spinning around me, I supposed this is what it felt like to be drugged up. Or maybe drunk? As I fell to the ground I could make out the sound of footsteps coming closer and closer.

"Do you like that, you slimy bastard? A special concoction made specifically to get around your supposed immunity to toxins." The voice was rude, but decidedly feminine I noted to myself.

"Why?" I managed to say after a few moments of forcing my brain to settle on a word that summed up what I was thinking.

"Because," The boot that slammed into my cheek rolled me over onto my back and hurt very slightly. "You and me got some **** to talk about Klein."

The distinctive yellow hair, the red tattoo like triangles under her eyes, the smile that was almost canine in nature, and the dusty brown poncho stood out as I looked at her. There was only one person I knew of that had such distinctive features.

"Bullet."

"Ding, ding, ding. Good job doctor," Clapping slowly she grinned wildly. "Wanna know whatcha ya won doctor? A detour from your scheduled appointment with those idiotic government ****faces."

Another few seconds was all it took for me to go unconscious.​

Back