• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Trying to get shiny starter

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
i think it affects the stats, i think it gains lvls faster too if im not mistaken

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
i think it affects the stats, i think it gains lvls faster too if im not mistaken

I'm sorry, but I think you are mistaken...shiny pokemon just look cool (well, it depends...>__>) Other than looking different, there is nothing special about the except the extreme rarity. ^__^

On topic however, I have never SR'ed for a shiny. It sounds VERY tedious. >__<

Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2010
Noob question, does a shiny affect a pokemon's stats, or is it just there to look cool?

In the Generation IV games, Shinies are identical to regular Pokemon regarding stats. They have the same chance to get good IVs as regular Pokemon. In Crystal/Gold/Silver I believe they had higher individual values than regular Pokemon, but that is no longer the case.

Anywho, I've never soft-reset for Shinies. I just can't sit there resetting over and over and over again... XD I do chain for Shinies in Platinum though, and have learned to RNG for them.. >.>

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
The exact likelihood of encountering a shiny in the wild is 1 in 8192, or 0.012207%. Presumably the chance of getting a shiny starter is the same, so you are going to have to try at the very least 8,192 times, though in reality you will probably have to try a lot more.

It doesn't work like that.

Anyway, I have tried. I got to around 500 resets then gave up and decided to just reset for a female Cyndaquil. XD

Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2010
I think i read somewhere that just because odds are 1 in 8,192 doesnt mean you'll get one on the 8,192nd try. Right?

How it works is that every time the Pokemon is generated, there is a 1 in 8,192 chance that the Pokemon will be Shiny. This does not mean that you are guaranteed a Shiny after 8,129 attempts.

To simplify this idea, think about flipping a coin. There is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will be Tails. But as you know, this does not mean that you are guaranteed to get a Tails after two flips. It could be Tails the first time you flip, the second, neither, or both. All it means is that every time you flip there is a 50% chance you'll get Tails, and the more often you flip the greater the likelihood that you'll come across Tails.

So it may take 10,000 attempts, or it could just take 1. It's just incredibly unlikely that you'll get one on the first couple tries. The percentage doesn't rise after each attempt, just with more tries you are more likely to come across one.

Last edited:
Years
The exact likelihood of encountering a shiny in the wild is 1 in 8192, or 0.012207%. Presumably the chance of getting a shiny starter is the same, so you are going to have to try at the very least 8,192 times, though in reality you will probably have to try a lot more.

This ^

But there are some that think that you will get it guaranteed on your 8,192nd try, but keep in mind that every try is a 1 on 8,192 chance. You could get it on your first try (very unlikely but technically it is possible) or you can never get it, it's simply a matter of luck.

I think you should use the RNG method, it's accurate and you geta lvl 1 Pokémon, so you can raise it the way you want.

How it works is that every time the Pokemon is generated, there is a 1 in 8,192 chance that the Pokemon will be Shiny. This does not mean that you are guaranteed a Shiny after 8,129 attempts.

To simplify this idea, think about flipping a coin. There is a 1 in 2 chance that the coin will be Tails. But as you know, this does not mean that you are guaranteed to get a Tails after two flips. It could be Tails the first time you flip, the second, neither, or both. All it means is that every time you flip there is a 50% chance you'll get Tails, and the more often you flip the greater the likelihood that you'll come across Tails.

So it may take 10,000 attempts, or it could just take 1. It's just incredibly unlikely that you'll get one on the first couple tries. The percentage doesn't rise after each attempt, just with more tries you are more likely to come across one.
And we just said exactly the same at the same moment, lol, I'm sorry XD

Last edited:
Back