• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Is it legal to make a Fanmade Pokemon Animation

The-Eevee-Club

Golden Leaf Animations
Years
  • Hello!

I want to make a Pokemon animation on YouTube. I am wondering if this is legal to make any. I won't sell it or claim Pokemon as my own.

Thank you!

elynxer

Sworedyz
    Years
  • You won't get in trouble. Countless people make Pokemon fanart and animations, and they are left alone. However, Nintendo may put a copyright claim on the video, so if you decide to turn ad revenue on, they would get the money instead.

Is it specifically legal? No. Technically, producing and releasing material based on copyrights you don't own is against the law. But again, Nintendo/Game Freak/Pokemon company aren't going to care.
    The following site goes into more detail, and is a good read on the matter.
    https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/05/13/the-messy-world-of-fan-art-and-copyright/

Back