• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Rom Hacking on Linux & Rom Improvement Tutorial

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 15, 2019
Hi there,

I am interested in trying some rom hacking. At the moment I only use Linux. When I google Rom Hacking and Linux I find some posts on the internet which say that it is not possible because some tools are only for Windows and they do not work with Wine. But most of these posts are a few years old. So now I would like to know if I should even bother starting Rom hacking when I am a Linux only user.

Also for my first hack I would like to make an Improvement of FireRed just like Firered 251 or Throwback. For this I have my own questions:
  • Is there a tutorial for this?
  • Hacks like Throwback or FireRed 251 already have some improvements I want to include but not all of them. Is there a way to include only some of them or are there some basic hacks like Pokedex alteration or infinite TM or items instead of HM which I can implement in an other way?

Some things I want to do:
  • Pokedex alteration
  • Change Trainer Sprites
  • Change Pokemon Sprites
  • Add new maps/parts to a map
  • Making Pokemon evolve without trading
  • Making every Pokémon catchable
  • Ability to breed Pokémon in pension on route 5
  • Changing the Pokémon of some trainers...

hackerofdarkness

I have return
Years
The best option for rom hacking with linux would be to use the gen 3 disassembles as you have access to the native code itself, and can edit to your hearts content. The most worked on disassembly is pokeemerald, but pokefirered is picking up steam slowly.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 15, 2019
I read about the disassemblies. Are there any tutorials for these kind of Romhacks?

jensmoking

Little boygirl.
Years
I read about the disassemblies. Are there any tutorials for these kind of Romhacks?

Yes, there are.
In the Decomp & Disassembly forum you can find tutorials. You should also check the github wiki for the disassembly you wanna use.
Good luck ^^

Back