• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] From Yellow to Gold

Vragon

Disclaimer: This will be a series of shorts considering the events that transpired during an estimated three year time gap between pokemon RGBY, and GSC. This is a collaborative work between users: Tearin & Vragon.
Tearin: I have no idea what I'm doing.
Vragon: I don't know why my Wifi is bad.
Both in unison: But we'll make it anyway. Enjoy!
PS: the title was my idea, you're welcome Tearin.

Koga and Janine

She's done well in her battles the past four days, Koga reflected from his place outside some familiar gym windows. My time away hasn't slowed her down it seems. I worry, though. She hasn't left the gym to see Fuschia in that time either. She's strong and happy, but she doesn't know the purpose for her strength.

The youngster challenging the gym that day had just been defeated. He recalled his haunter, upset at his defeat from the substitute gym leader. "It was a good attempt." The voice of his daughter praised, from his spot on the field, "Your Pokémon are skilled, however the move sets you've chosen aren't very beneficial to defeating Pokémon of the same type. Consider teaching a psychic technique to your haunter there and I can assure you that you'll fare better against me next time. But you'd better hurry, else you'll have to face my dad and he's waayyyy stronger than me."

"Not that much stronger, Janine, but thank you for the compliment." Koga's voice spoke from behind Janine.

With a start, Janine turned on her heel. "Father, your home!" she uttered with delight, giving him a welcome home hug.

Koga then gave a slight smirk as he made the additional comment of, "You know, I don't have to see your face to know you're hiding your blush."

Janine released the endearing hug and immediately replied with, "Oh um well you see…..it's that this gym….uh...it's been real busy doing um stuff that…….Okay fine!" She turned her back towards him with a scowl on her face as she grumbled audibly, "Well I'm not that glad your back. I mean you've been away for longer than anticipated so I've been having to pick up the slack from there."

"And it appears you've done well with that. I must say, you've definitely shown promise as a gym leader." Koga turned to the challenger who was now awkwardly finding his way back through the invisible maze. "And young Joey made for a fun match. Go and train. Then come show us your results!" With a grin, Joey took his leave.

Now alone, Janine questioned, "So what did 'Fabu-Lance' want with you this time?"

Koga paused, collecting his words. "Some bureaucracy issue on the plateau. You know how it gets."

Janine replied simply, "Yeah, I do."

"Let's take a walk through my-- our beloved city, daughter."

"But you just returned. Don't you want to review the challenger records or address the gym trainers?" Janine reasoned with her father, confused at the suggestion.

"I wish to see how Fuchsia has held in my absence. It won't hurt to spend a pleasant afternoon outside with my daughter either."

Janine wasn't exactly sure as to why her father wanted quality time with her the instant he got back, but she new better than to question her father's intentions. She nodded in reply and the two exited the arena using a path worn not by feet but by experience. Experience gained from traversing in the invisible maze many times.

***​

The pair stood silently in shadows of some trees, watching the Pokémon that inhabit the city's safari zone. Koga had made a point of observing the kangaskhan. Janine found the display quite endearing for a moment, but after ten minutes, the lax Pokémon was losing her interest.

She was ready to suggest moving on, when a baby poked it's head out of the kangaskhan's pouch. The mother patted the baby's head, before it hid again, for another round of sleep.

"We may go now, if you wish," Koga offered. Janine accepted and the two left the spot.

***​

Then, they were strolling down an out-of-the-way street, side-stepping the occasional child heading home. Koga stopped at a blue house with no particular distinctions. A small blonde girl passed him with a smile, "Hi Mister Koga!" she greeted on her way up the lawn. As she made it to the steps, a growlithe bound out of the doggy-door to greet her excitedly.

Janine couldn't help but give out a simple "Aw," at the cute scene of the growlithe licking the girl's face in greeting. Koga gave a little smile and resumed the walk. Janine sensed something was off about Koga's actions on the walk, but again paid it no heed and joined up with him.

***​

The final stop on the way back to Fuchsia gym was the pokemon center. "Might as well heal your team while we're out," Koga proposed. Janine complied.

While waiting in line, she noticed the conversation the nurse was having with the trainer in front of her. "You've certainly come a great length to our little town."

The trainer beamed, "Yeah, back home in Cerulean, we have this great river, but nothing compares to looking out at the plains in the Safari zone and seeing the occasional break of a rhyhorn or tauros lifting it's head out of the grass."

The nurse smiled in agreement as she returned the trainer's pokemon and he departed, allowing Janine to heal her own.

***​

Fuchsia gym stood before the pair, greeting them silently as it always had. The lock on the door showed that the trainers had gone home for the afternoon.

Koga expectedly pulled out the keys with a smooth motion… and held them out to Janine. Janine hesitated before realizing that the keys were not unlocking the door right away. She looked at her father, perplexed. "What's up? Go ahead and unlock it."

"Please unlock the gym. It wouldn't do for the guest to unlock it for the gym leader, now would it?" Seeing she didn't understand what he was implying: Koga explained, "You've grown into a capable trainer, and I'm very proud of you, but I'm afraid I will be around much less often to see your progress in the future, for you see I've been given a great honor."
Finding concern in her eyes, Koga elaborated, "The Elite Four has been restructured due to some prior members retiring. I and other trainers were called to Indigo Plateau by Lance to compete for a spot on the new Elite Four. Not all answered the call, preferring their gyms and home locations. Some did not pass muster, but I, and two others have been chosen to fill the void for Kanto and Johto."

While Janine was proud about her father's achievement she couldn't help but lower her head slightly at the thought of what this meant for her. "So why spend today out in town instead of at the gym we are responsible for?"

"Because we are not responsible for the gym alone, Janine." Koga answered, placing the key in her hand and gestured out to the town before them. "We… You are responsible for Fuschia City. As a safe place for Pokemon. Somewhere a child can spend the day bettering themselves and go home to faces happy to welcome them. A travel haven for all wandering feet to rest their heads and ease their minds. Fuschia is not a gym, nor a collection of buildings and duties, my daughter. Fuschia is a love and protection of the most precious things in this life."

"So what does this have to do with the gym then? Does the gym not matter in that view?" Janine asked, unsure of where her father was going with her connection to all of this.

"Janine. As the Fuchsia City gym leader, you represent the pinnacle of this city to everyone who sees you. When a challenger faces you, it is not an interruption of experiencing Fuschia, but a continuation. You will be the most capable person to defend and represent the city. It is unspeakably important that you understand what you defend when a challenger approaches. Tell me, what if the child had not gone home to a friendly growlithe on the stairs, but rather to be attacked by an ekans hiding beneath them? Or if that kangaskhan rather than raising the baby was poached for it's hide? What if those that came to see this city's splendor left in disappointment? Fuschia has a heart and a soul, and in many ways, you are it's face to those who come and even those who live here." Koga pulled a familiar pink symbol out of his pocket. He held it to the fading sun so shine. It was a simple heart, with a defined symmetrical line. "That's why we carry the soul badge. The heart and soul. The life blood of Fuchsia."

Janine looked out over the town with new eyes and drank in the sight. The people, Pokémon, even the plant life seemed to be teeming with a joy of living, even as it toned down for the coming night. "I understand. I will defend and love Fuschia City, not just Fuchsia Gym."

Koga and Janine turned to one another and Koga held out a hand. Janine offered hers in turn. Koga placed the soul badge in her hand and closed her grip on it. "Never let go of the heart Janine. You loved it even before today, but now you know better what it means to love it. Never let the soul of Fuchsia leave you, rather sharing it with trainers that you've helped on their journey."

"Yes father." She clamped a him with a hug again. "I love you."

"I love you too, Janine." He said while patting her head. "Now, for the first of many times, please open the gym for us gym leader."

Janine put the key in the lock, and unlocked a new chapter in her life.

Back