• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Meowth's Capture (Chapter 1)

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2022
    Author's Note: It looks like this story was a little too long to be a one-shot, so it's now a multi-chapter fic. As always, I'm open to suggestions on this story. Thanks for the reviews.

Disclaimer: Pokemon belongs to its respective companies.

Even though Team Rocket was trouble, Ash had always secretly been fascinated by them. Well, not by all of them exactly, but by one member in particular, one furry member that could talk to Pokemon to be more exact.

"I don't get it, Pikachu. Meowth's a Pokemon, yet he's also a bad guy. How can Pokemon be bad guys?"

"Pikachu," Pikachu sighed, indicating he was just as perplexed as his trainer.

"I mean...what does he see in Jessie and James? Why hasn't he joined up with us or one of the other trainers who could provide him with a better life?" Ash asked.

Pikachu shifted uncomfortably on the ground. This star-gazing outing with his trainer was going into territory the little mouse Pokemon would rather not explore.

"Pikachu..."

"Isn't Meowth a wild Pokemon?"

"Pika? where are you going with this?"

"...and can't anyone technically catch a wild Pokemon?"

"Pikachu?" Pikachu's ears perked up, a worried expression was on his face.

"...and once a wild Pokemon is caught, it has to be whatever its trainer wants, right?"

"Pika. I suppose so..."

"That means if we wanted Meowth to stop being a bad guy, he'd have to listen to us!" Ash said.

"Cha...maybe?" Pikachu sighed.

Ash reached in his pocket and pulled out a Great Ball.

"Pika Pi, Pikachu Ash, where did you get that?" Pikachu asked.

Pikachu looked at it with a shocked expression.

"I don't think Meowth'd be able to get away from this, buddy," Ash said with a devious smile.

Before Ash could react, Pikachu slapped the Poke Ball out of his hand.

"Hey!"Ash yelled in surprise.

"Chu...chu...chu!" Pikachu said frantically, waving his arms and shaking his head.

Ash regained his composure and picked up the Poke Ball.

"I know we usually don't do things like this, but I really think it's for the greater good this time," Ash said.

Pikachu's eyes met Ash's and they stared at each other, silently reading each other. Pikachu finally nodded.

"Can I count on you to help me, then, buddy?" Ash asked.

"Pika-a-chu..." Pikachu cooed while nodding his head.

Ash let out a laugh.

"Team Rocket won't know what hit 'em, Pikachu," Ash said, a mischievous grin on his face.

Pikachu's expression mirrored that of his trainer.

The next day, Ash and Pikachu had everything ready.

"Alright, Pikachu. When Team Rocket try to capture you, let 'em have it. I'll throw the ball and capture Meowth while they aren't looking!" Ash said.

"Pikachu..." Pikachu sighed.

The little mouse Pokemon was feeling very guilty about this decision for some reason.

I...guess it's not too late to turn back...Pikachu thought.

Pikachu looked at his trainer.

...but Ash'll be disappointed if I...

"Chu..." Pikachu cooed reluctantly.

Pikachu and Ash waited in the clearing for Team Rocket to show up. They usually turned up eventually, but it looked like today-

"Prepare for trouble!"

"..and make it double!"

...wasn't going to be any different.

Pikachu watched with fascination as Jessie, James, and Meowth did their aerial acrobatics routine and landed in an "R" shape. The mouse Pokemon's eyes remained trained on the cat Pokemon. For some reason, he looked so free, so happy. Pikachu didn't want to take that away.

The mouse Pokemon didn't have long to study the trio, though, because they had a trap of their own. Before Pikachu knew it, he was in some kind of electricity-proof net.

"Pika Pi! Pikachu! Ash, help me. This wasn't part of the plan!" Pikachu pleaded.

Meowth's ears perked up, and he started whispering something to Jessie and James.

"Pikachu! Oh no!" Pikachu said to himself.

"Hang on Pikachu!" Ash yelled.

"Ha ha! We've got your Pikachu!" Jessie taunted.

"Oh yeah, not for long!" Ash yelled as he readied a Poke Ball.

While Ash was getting ready to help Pikachu, Meowth crept away from the group. Pikachu noticed Meowth trying to take Ash's belt and frantically tried to warn Ash.

"Pika Pi! Pika Pi! Ash watch out!" Pikachu yelled.

Ash whipped around in time to see Meowth reaching for his other Poke Balls.

"Go, Bulbasaur!" Ash shouted as he released the Pokemon.

"Saur!"

"Bulbasaur, vine whip, send Meowth blasting off!" Ash commanded.

The vine Pokemon grabbed the cat Pokemon in his tendrils and flung him hard into Jessie and Jame's balloon. Meowth landed on the balloon claws out, ready for a fury swipes attack.

"Meowth, careful, don't scratch..." James said.

Meowth, realizing what he was about to do, retracted his claws and landed in front of his teammates.

"Nice try!" Meowth yelled.

"Saur bulbasaur! I won't miss next time!" Bulbasaur yelled.

"Now, Bulbasaur, razor leaf that net!" Ash commanded.

Jessie and James yelped as sharp leaves were flung into their direction.

The net was slashed into pieces and Pikachu was freed.

The little mouse Pokemon started making sparks in its cheeks and Team Rocket froze.

"Pikachu, thunder!"

The little mouse Pokemon shot an electric attack at the sky and charged a few nearby clouds with static. The sky started to turn dark above Team Rocket, and Jessie and James hugged each other tightly in fear.

Pikachu tensed as he and Ash watched the scene. Before anyone could react, the electricity connected with its targets and Jessie, James, and Meowth were fried by the live current.

Ash pulled the Great Ball out of his pocket.

"It's now or never, Pikachu..." Ash said. The boy hesitated and put his head down for a few seconds, as if having second thoughts.

Pikachu waited for his trainer's command.

Meowth's right there, all I have to do...is...is

Ash stood frozen and shaking. He dropped the Great Ball on the ground.

"Pika?" Pikachu asked.

"I...can't do it. Pikachu, thunderbolt, send them-" Ash said.

Just as Ash was about to give the command, Pikachu was slammed by a purple blur.

"Charrrbok!"

"Arbok, poison sting!"

"Wheezing, sludge attack!"

It was Jessie and James! The electric attack didn't fully paralyze them!

"Pikachu, dodge it!"

The little mouse Pokemon wasn't fast enough and both attacks landed, poisoning him and draining his remaining energy.

Pikachu was lying on the ground groaning and weakly trying to squeak its name.

"Pi...pika..." Pikachu said weakly before closing its eyes.

"No! Pikachu!" Ash yelled.

Ash glared at Jessie and James and became completely enraged. His eyes fell on Meowth, who was taunting them and doing handstands with his tongue out.

That does it! Ash thought.

Ash ordered Bulbasaur to attack with another razor leaf to keep them distracted while he looked for the discarded Great Ball.

It's gotta be around here somewhere.

Just then, Ash spotted the gleaming white coat of a Poke Ball in the grass. Ash reached for it.

Everything else seemed to happen in slow motion. Bulbasaur was still keeping Team Rocket distracted, and Pikachu was resting on the grass and trying to recover. Ash knew he only had one shot at getting this right.

"Bulbasaur, stop!" Ash commanded.

Team Rocket looked at Ash with surprise. James tried to sneak away.

"Well, does that mean you finally give up?" Jessie asked.

"Not quite," Ash said, still fingering the Poke Ball.

Meowth was right in his sight, but before he could make the next move-

"What are we just standing around for? Arbok, wrap attack on Bulbasaur!" Jessie commanded.

"Saur!"

"Bulbasaur, no!" Ash yelled.

"Now, glare!" Jessie said.

Bulbasaur was down.

Team Rocket had again turned the tables. Bulbasaur and Pikachu were paralyzed and unable to fight.

"Now, Wheezing-"

Ash had to do something now. He reached for his belt.

Oh no! My other Pokemon are back at the campsite! Ash thought.

The boy fingered the Poke Ball in his hand.

It looks like I only have one option. Ash thought.

Quickly, the boy tossed the Poke Ball, aiming it at Meowth. It connected.

Jessie and James looked back in shock as they saw Meowth disappear.

The ball rolled once...

Twice...

Three times...

The light flashed, then...

Click.

Meowth was captured.

Ash quickly dove for the Poke Ball, put it in his pocket, recalled his other Pokemon, grabbed Pikachu, and made a run for it.

"See you later!" Ash yelled.

Jessie and James stared at each other in shock.

"James, what just happened?" Jessie asked.

"He took Meowth, Jessie!" James answered.

"Hey, come back here! We're supposed to steal from you, not the other way around!" Jessie yelled.

The two Team Rocket members then called back their Pokemon and collapsed onto each other, exhausted.

Ash sprinted back to his campsite, his heart was in his throat, and he was sweating like crazy.

"I can't believe we did that, Pikachu," Ash said.

Pikachu gave a very weak "chu" in agreement with his trainer.

"I wonder why they aren't following us?" Ash asked.

Ash reached his campsite and found a super potion for Pikachu.

"Tomorrow we'll take you all to a Pokemon center, buddy," Ash said.

"Pika..." Pikachu said.

Ash pulled Meowth's Poke Ball out of his belt.

If I release Meowth now, he might just try to go back to Team Rocket. Ash thought.

The boy stared at the Great Ball, becoming increasingly fascinated with its contents.

"What do you think, buddy?" Ash asked.

"Chu..." Pikachu said cautiously.

On second thought, I guess there's only one way to find out what I've really gotten myself into. Besides, I can always just recall him if he tries anything. Ash thought.

"Well, I guess now's as good a time as any..." Ash said cautiously.

Carefully, Ash pressed a button on the Poke Ball.

Meowth appeared and looked at Ash with fear.

"Meowth? Meow Where am I? What's going on?" Meowth asked.

"Ha..ha...very funny Meowth..." Ash said.

"Meow? Meow? Why are you here? Meowth Meowth? Where's Jessie and James?" Meowth asked.

"Pika? Pikachu? Why aren't you speaking human talk?" Pikachu asked.

Meowth was getting agitated. Without thinking, he bared his claws for a fury swipes attack.

"Meowth...Meowth! What did you do to me?" Meowth yelled.

"Pika-chu! Calm down!" Pikachu yelled, his cheeks sparking.

"Meowth Meow! Meow! sorry, I just want things to be back to normal!" Meowth said sadly.

"Meowth, what's wrong?" Ash asked.

"Meowth Meowth? Why can't anybody understand me?" Meowth asked.

"Pika Pikachu. Because you're speaking Pokemon," Pikachu tried to explain.

"What did you and your trainer do to me? Why can't I talk anymore?" Meowth yelled. The cat Pokemon looked like he was on the verge of tears.

To Ash, though, it just sounded like angry yowling.

Pikachu stared at Meowth; the cat Pokemon was in a wild fit of hysteria, crying and yelling threats at Ash.

"Meowth, keep that up and I'm going to have to shock you!" Pikachu warned.

"That's all you ever do, isn't it, Pikachu?" Meowth asked.

"Pika?"

"You think you're so powerful because you can use electric attacks. You shock people and Pokemon and that's it. That's how you think you can solve all of your-" Meowth said, bearing his claws.

Pikachu cut him off, and proved his point, by delivering a powerful thundershock to immobilize him and keep him from hurting anyone, including himself.

Meowth fell to the ground in a heap and yowled.

"Pika! I'm sorry for doing that, but you need to calm down!" Pikachu yelled.

"Owww...you see?" Meowth groaned.

"Do you think we should put him back, Pikachu?" Ash asked.

"I'll tell you what you can do, you can let me go and let me go right back to my friends. That's what you can do!" Meowth protested.

Pikachu nodded, and then looked at Meowth.

"Meowth, I'll talk to you later once you've calmed down!" Pikachu said.

Ash pulled out the Great Ball and recalled Meowth. Meowth tried to fight it, but he felt himself turning into red energy and being sucked into the ball.

"Meoooow! You'll pay for this!" Meowth yelled as he was sucked back into the ball.

"What have we gotten ourselves into, Pikachu?" Ash asked.

"Pika-pika," Pikachu sighed.

As promised, Pikachu let Meowth out later that night, and they resumed their conversation.

"Pikachu? Are you calm enough to talk, now?" Pikachu asked.

"I think so..." Meowth answered cautiously.

"Good!" Pikachu said.

Meowth looked around the tent and suddenly burst into tears.

"Pika? What's wrong?" Pikachu asked.

"I miss Jessie and James!" Meowth said. The Pokemon's voice was breaking, and the "words" came out as sad sobs.

"Why?" Pikachu asked.

"What do you mean 'why?" They're my best friends!" Meowth said, trying, in vain, to hide his tears.

"Pi-ka? your friends?[/]" Pikachu asked.

"Yeah, they're my friends, my best friends..." Meowth repeated.

"Pikachu?" Pikachu asked.

"Yeah, best friends, is there an echo in here?" Meowth asked.

"Are you sure?" Pikachu asked, "All they do is make you do bad things..."

"Mo?" Meowth said.

"Real friends don't do that," Pikachu said.

"What do you know, pet?" Meowth growled.

"Pika I know what real friends are," Pikachu said.

"So do I, and miss 'em so much!" Meowth said before breaking into another fit of sobs.

"Chu?"

"I'm so upset," Meowth said.

"PIKA...Pika! Pika!"

Meowth jumped, expecting to receive a shock.

"Have you ever considered the things you're missing?" Pikachu asked.

"Like what?" Meowth asked.

"Like the chance to be a real Pokemon, to learn cool attacks, to have a trainer who cares about you..."

"Save your breath, twerp Pokemon, I've heard that spiel before..." Meowth said, "...and no, I don't wanna be no slave to no human..."

"It's not like that, really. At least not with Ash. Ash cares about his Pokemon and-" Pikachu said.

"...and I was happy with Jessie and James!" Meowth said.

The cat Pokemon was again sobbing hard and trying to be quiet about it. Pikachu felt really bad for him.

"Pika-pi-pichu..." Pikachu finally sighed.

"What?" Meowth asked.

"You heard me. If they come back for you, I'll tell Ash to let you go with them, if they still want you," Pikachu said.

"Well, Mr. Pika-Pika, how do you plan to do that, and what do you mean 'if they still want me?" Meowth asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" Pikachu asked.

Meowth looked at Pikachu with a hurt expression.

"You think they only cared about me because I knew how to talk?" Meowth asked.

Pikachu nodded his head.

"You're wrong! Jessie and James care about me because I'm their friend! We've been through enough that I know that's not true," Meowth said, his voice breaking.

"How can you be sure?" Pikachu asked.

"Like I'm going to share that with you," Meowth said.

The cat Pokemon crossed his arms.

"This conversation is over," Meowth said, as he made his way toward the door of the tent.

"Pikachu? Where are you going?" Pikachu asked.

"To find my friends!" Meowth replied.

In a flash, Pikachu was in front of Meowth, cheeks sparking.

"No! Right now, you're Ash's Pokemon! You aren't allowed to leave unless we release you!" Pikachu said.

Meowth ignored Pikachu and tried to exit the tent.

"Take a hike, twerp Pokemon," Meowth said.

"You leave me no choice," Pikachu said.

Meowth felt his fur starting to rise and he noticed Pikachu's cheeks sparking. The cat Pokemon gave a weak smile and tried to back away.

"Now, now, let's think this over..." Meowth said.

It was too late.

"CHU!" the mouse Pokemon yelled.

Sparks of electricity left Pikachu's cheeks and made contact with Meowth, paralyzing him instantly and throwing him to the ground. Meowth lay on the floor of the tent twitching.

"You like doing that, don't you?" Meowth groaned.

"Pikachu?" Pikachu cooed.

Pikachu then quickly pressed a button on Meowth's Poke Ball. Meowth again felt himself being sucked into the Poke Ball.

"Hey! What's the big idea?" Meowth asked.

"Pika-chu you need to rest and recover. We'll talk later," Pikachu said.

Ash rolled over.

"Ugh...Pikachu..."

...and then started snoring again.

Pikachu climbed into its trainer's sleeping bag and drifted off to sleep.

______
    Author's Note: If you like this story, want to read other chapters, or want to tell me how I'm doing as a fanfic writer, Google this story's title on Fanfiction dot net and leave a review. I'm not allowed to advertise here, so I'm not allowed to include the link.

Last edited:
    Back