• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] PGE Learnset editing

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2021
    I'm a bit new to romhacking, can someone tell me how to expand a pokemon's learnset in Pokemon Game Editor and add new moves to its learnset. I have tried this but nothing has happened or a bunch of random moves, sometimes parts of scripts that the pokemon would learn at levels >100(???), and has never worked successfully for me. I appreciate any response, thanks! Btw I cant use YAPE cause my romhack has over 386 pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2020
    If you need to add some moves to the learnset or create a learnset for a new pokemon the best thing to do is to open your rom in both PGE and HexEditor. After that you need to go to Pokémon Editor and click the section learnable attacks. In this section you will find a pointer named Level-Up attack pointer: you need to copy it and go to that location inside hex editor (my suggestion is to start from a pokémon which already as a moveset cause it will help in the following step) and copy that particular moveset (it ends with 00 00 FF 00). Then you need to find a free location in your ROM and paste it (ctrl+b) (IT'S IMPORTANT TO PASTE IN A LOCATION WHICH ENDS WITH 0, 4, 8 or C). At this point you can save and change the pointer inside PGE (remember to save cause otherwise you'll need to restart PGE) with your new offset. Now you have the exact same moveset, if you want to add more moves you simply need to copy the moveset once again but at 3 bytes of distance (cause every move of the moveset is coded as 2 bytes to decide which move the pokemon needs to learn and 1 for the level) if you do so you will gain one new move (which is identical to the first one) and you can repeat the process to add more. After that simply update the pointer on PGE by clicking Repoint and edit the moves from there: remember to edit the moves in order to follow a crescent order (ex: lvl 1 tackle, lvl 3 growl, etc...) cause the new move that you'll add by following this message will be a duplicate of the very first one. I hope this message will help you, feel free to ask me if something isn't clear (and sorry for my bad English)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2021
    Hello, I know it's been almost 2 years now but I hope you'll respond, you're pretty much my last hope.
    In this section you will find a pointer named Level-Up attack pointer: you need to copy it and go to that location inside hex editor (my suggestion is to start from a pokémon which already as a moveset cause it will help in the following step) and copy that particular moveset (it ends with 00 00 FF 00).
    I had trouble in this part, which is - what am I supposed to copy exactly? There's a bunch of numbers that show on the right, and there's the bytes ( i think that's what they are, the 2 digits coding ), but I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to get from here coz the lvl-up attack pointer itself (71D294 for Bulbasaur in the rom I'm using) which I could only find w/ crtl + g (I had to find that command out through a completely different thing) turned out to be an offset, and there is in fact a 00 00 FF 00 at one point but it's kinda apart from the offset so idk. Please help. That's mostly the issues I had, free space I could get through free space finder, so no problems there.

TL;DR: Don't know what to copy in the Level-Up attack pointer.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    71D294 is the start of the learnset, 00 00 ff 00 is the end of it, so copy all that stuff to somewhere else, and then do what that above post says.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2021
    Hey, thx for the reply, kinda figured it out myself with a bit of mess around and find out, though now I'm having other problems. If you could say what's going on that'd be really helpful. So I needed to tranfer the "rom hack" to another computer, but even though I transfered the exact same files, even with the pge ini and stuff, it would just say a lot of errors, so I just decided that since I had only made 2 pokemon, I would just remake it in the new pc, now with all the data and knowledge I needed in hands. While doing that, I remembered you could export basically everything there, so that's what I did. The exported attacks had literally no difference, but the exported pokemon got allocated to a different offset than the original, but I just thought "hey that's weird" and moved on. Later that day, I needed to expand the movesets, but they were way too close for my comfort (was afraid of running out of space or accidentally ovewriting something I shouldn't) so I repointed it to free space again (800000) and did the same thing of copying the moveset again 3 bytes apart but that didn't work, and no new moves appeared. I only tried to do that on the 2 pokemon I imported, both with the same result. Thankfully, the first I could squeeze in only excluding 1 move, so it didn't have that big of an impact. the other though, has 20+ moves (I'm doing Salandit and Salazzle in case you're curious), and the biggest moveset I could find was charizard's, at 14. One more thing to note cause I really wanna give all the info I can is that for the 1st one (salandit) I used bulbasaur's, and for the 2nd one (salazzle) I used charizard's, since I only realised in the second that different pokemon learn a different amount of moves. That's pretty much it.

TL;DR: Moved to a new computer, restarted the thing new but imported stuff over, can't add new moves to imported pokemon which I repointed to free space again.

Years
  • This is the closest thread, at least one I found with a quick Google search about a question I have.
    If you OP have this already figured out that would be great.
    I expanded the Pokédex in FR, going through and adding Pokémon and such.

My question to you if you or anyone else sees this before is-how do I add more learnset tables to FR?
    Like brand new ones.
    That I could then point my PGE to for said added Pokémon's learnset.
    Aka, Expand the number of learnsets in my game.

I can be pretty pea brained and am not the most experienced with Hex Editing (yet, but I understand some of the very basics)
    So essentially, the simpler the better.

Thank you all wonderful people.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hello? I'm trying to edit a Pokemon's moveset and expand it to 13 moves. But when I do, the screen becomes white whenever I try to start the game. What do I do?

Back