• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Did anyone finish the pokedex without having paid the monthly subscription to nintendo?

Years
  • Title says it all I suppose. I don't really want to pay for the online subscription (it feels scummy) but I probably will since this is the first time in my life I actually want to finish my Pokedex. I am pretty close to doing so, I only have a few pokemon to catch from my copy of Pokemon Sword and then I'll probably ask someone to trade with me the Pokemon exclusives from Shield.

Still if there is another way to finish my pokedex that you can think of, without paying for the subscription, could you let me know?

Thanks in advance.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The only other way for you to do it, would be to have 2 switches and a copy of both sword and shield so you can trade back and forth between the two games. You'd also have to have the expansion pass for both games.

Your best option is to just get Pokemon Home. It is only like 3 dollars a month, so it is a lot cheaper than the alternative. I would also just get it when you need it. Pokemon Home is still free, but you can only have 1 GTS spot open and 3 Wonder Trades open at a time. You can also only store 30 pokemon.

As far as I know, you do not have to have a Nintendo Subscription for Pokemon Home to work. Even with a Nintendo Sub, it is still only 20 a year, which is still cheaper than having to buy 2 switches, 2 games, and both expansion passes.

Years
  • Indeed, I completely forgot about the Pokemon Home. The thing is I don't have pokemon like Zamazeta, though the rest I could get them maybe from pokemon lets go?! I'll give it a try and see but yea, I wont be buying another switch or another copy of the game, hue hue hue.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Indeed, I completely forgot about the Pokemon Home. The thing is I don't have pokemon like Zamazeta, though the rest I could get them maybe from pokemon lets go?! I'll give it a try and see but yea, I wont be buying another switch or another copy of the game, hue hue hue.

Something I did to get Zacian in a GTS trade on Home, this might be only for me, I was able to get 2 Kubfu/2 Zamazentas on my Home account because I had a second profile on my Switch, which shares DLC with your main account. Even if not DLC, you can continue to restart and replay on your second profile and get the legendary wolf. Then transfer it to your main home account. Then trade it on the GTS for your other wolf.

It is kinda hard to explain, but there is plenty of videos on youtube that explain how to do it since it can be confusing at first. There is also currently a code based event going on right now where you can get a code from gamestop and get the opposite wolf in its shiny variant in your copy without all the trading.

If you can't get to a store, you can get on GAME UK or Gamestop Ireland and get them to send you a code via email without having to put anything in but your email.

Years
  • Ow , I forgot about the fact that I can speedrun and redo my pokedex. OMG thanks a bunch for reminding me. Nice, I'll get on it as soon as I can.

I also remembered about my pokemon GO account and thought if I could get some pokemon from there through home. Lo and behold, spritzee and swirlix + their evos were there. My pokedex is happy. Yey.

Back