• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black 2 Rom Hack

Years
Okay so. I'm brand new to this. I've briefly read over a few posts, downloaded a bunch of tools, and am essentially ready to begin my ROM hacking adventure. Problem is, it all seems so overwhelming. There are so many tools I need, programs to run to extract this file to work with this program to edit that part of the ROM, I'm feeling rather lost.
Essentially, all I want to do is edit the main game with some custom gym leaders, change some trainer teams, change the professor, the starters you can choose from (maybe, this one I don't care too much about), change the rival and change the elite 4 and Champion. Maybe change what pokemon you can get in-game via the NPC events (like make it to where you can get a Mew or something somehow instead of say, Victini).

So far, I've downloaded a ROM Changer that allows me to change the pokemon on routes, control and modify evolutions and requirements, and I think movesets (I haven't fully explored it) but all I do is open the Black 2 Rom. Once I change something, I'm unsure of how to save it, if that makes sense.

This has been the most straightforward program I've seen yet, that doesn't require me to unpack the NARCS. I think I finally have a grasp on how to do that but each program seems to require a different program to extract them.
For example, I have the trainer editor downloaded that I use kiwi (I think, or maybe it's the NDS Editor) to unpack the files. I have a grasp on that part. But I'm not sure how to repack them when I'm done. I also run into an error when trying to use this program to edit the trainer rosters, and I think I'm doing something wrong; I just can't figure out what, exactly.

I'm not even sure if I'm posting this in the right place (if not, please let me know or move it). Just looking for a little advice and help getting started.

I do have the Black 2 ROM Downloaded, The Rom Editor, Trainer Editor, Mugshot Editor, and Sprite Editor, the latter two I haven't worked with much. The other two tools I've downloaded I cannot get to work at all (In-Game Trade Editor and Wild Encounter Editor) and I notice these are RAR Files. I know I'll need to download another program like WinZip7 to unpack these but before I go downloading 9,000 programs, I'm hoping I can get a little direction and figure out if all this is necessary.

Back