• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fun Sand Stream Team

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I really like to build fun teams that break away from the norm, and this is one I've been working for the past few days and so far I'm having a lot of fun with. Abeit I've only had five matches with it this evening while I took it for a spin and I won four of them. The first I think was more because I find Team Preview a bit hard, and I lost the weather war. Anyway, here it is. Feel free to make suggestions - particularly for Mandibuzz - but I must vito any dragon types or ultra beasts (and Mimikyu, those genie things and their therian forms post Bank). I just don't like them and I won't enjoy using them.

Please note I've not written down individual IVs but they have been IV bred and are to high standards. Perfect where it matters, with 5/6 IVs each, missing the undesired stat.

Primarina - Bel Canto
    Ability - Torrent
    Modest
    Item - Choice Specs
    172HP/252SpA/84Spe
    Scald
    Hydro Pump
    Psychic
    Moonblast

So far he's the MVP. He can OHKO Kartarna with Scald and take a hit off it quite well (I can't remember if he can take a Leaf Blade however, as I'm not sure if he was hit by one...) But it took me by surprise. That thing must have butter for Special Defense...
    Primarina hits like a tank with this set, but isn't a pokemon I'd open up with unless I felt it safe to.

Stoutland - Wuffles
    Ability - Sand Rush
    Adamant
    Item - Choice Band
    252Atk/252Spe/4Def
    Return
    Ice Fang
    Psychic Fangs
    Wild Charge

So far he's not been bad. He gets a nice spread of coverage moves and has Return for STAB. Ice Fangs doesn't KO Nihilego very well. I learned the hard way I should have locked him into Psychic Fangs instead as it would have done more damage. Still getting used to the UBs and their typings. But damage calcs specified choiced Ice Fangs would OHKO both Garchomp and Salamence (and he'd outspeed them in a sandstorm) so for now he's staying until I can test that fully.

Gigalith - Balboa
    Ability - Sand Stream
    Adamant
    Item - Rockium Z
    252HP/252Atk/4Def
    Rock Slide
    Heavy Slam
    Wide Guard
    Protect

Stoutlands BFF. (I shamelessly admit I'm copying Shady Penguinn with the move set and held item lol) I'm impressed with how hard this hits with Rock Slide. It also gives Fini and Lele a hard time with Heavy Slam although not KOing them in one hit. He can tank special hits well too thanks to the sandstorm he brings.

Arcanine - Chargrill
    Ability - Intimidate
    Modest
    Item - Safety Goggles
    252HP/252SpAtk/4Def
    Burn Up
    Flamethrower
    Snarl
    Protect

My answer to Celesteela and Kartarna. He scares Celesteela. If it weren't for the crit in the only battle I had against it, I would know for certain if Burn Up really can OHKO. Damage calcs said yes, it can. Between him and Primarina, I'm no longer scared of those two UBs. Intimidate and Snarl are to annoy stats, really. Works well with his friend...

Tsareena - Compote
    Ability - Queenly Majesty
    Adamant
    Item - Life Orb
    252Atk/252Spe (I can't remember where the last bit went...)
    Protect
    U-Turn
    High Jump Kick
    Trop Kick

Trop Kick assists Arcanine in getting attack stats low. She gave a Mimikyu a hard time. A very hard time. Queenly Majesty prevented its Shadow Sneak. I don't know if her ability also helps her team mates? I need to check that, but I wasn't counting on it. I just don't know for certain who it was aiming for. However, she's been pulling her weight so far. Although like I said I've only had five battles with this team right now.

Mandibuzz - Femur
    Ability - Overcoat
    Sassy
    Item - Lagging Tail
    248HP/136Def/124SpD
    Tailwind
    U-Turn
    Foul Play
    Protect

Very much a gimmick. She has no speed investment (except a handful of IVs. 'Decent', I think.) The intention was she would set up a tail wind when I can't open Gigalith/Stoutland. However, I've not used her yet. Lagging Tail was to get off a slow U-Turn for a safe switch-in once Tailwind was up. I'm open to suggestions for her replacement if I decide I do want to replace her.

I'm liking this so far, and I'm hoping to fine-tune it by Saturday's tournament. I'm thinking of replacing Mandibuzz with Gastrodon to help with potential Torkoal teams I might face, but I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Any suggestions for Gastrodon or something else entirely, throw them at me! (But please don't throw actual Gastrodon... O__O )

Also, if you enjoy using something a bit different, feel free to share it! I like to discuss interesting battle strategies and gimmicks. I find them a lot of fun =D

Back