• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen $500 Magikarp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abusoru

Absol-ute Fan
Years
    • Age 54
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 10, 2005
    The 'Official' game guide says not to buy this expensive Pokemon when they are so easy to catch. I just got the new Nintendo Power #184 (FR/LG on the cover) yesterday and it has a begining walk thru for the game. The magazine says:

Patience Pays Big

A shady-looking man in the Pokemon Center near the Mt. Moon entrance will sell you a Magikarp for $500. If you're patient enough to raise the Magikarp to Level 20, the Gyarados it evolves into will be well worth the investment.

Is there something special about this Magikarp that warrants paying for it and leveling it up to level 20?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Not really, although it does allow you to get a Gyarados before you get the Old Rod. They had this in RBY, it was kind of a red herring. (Pun definately intended) ;-)

Valmordian

Demigod
    Years
  • Abusoru said:
    Is there something special about this Magikarp that warrants paying for it and leveling it up to level 20?

No, it just costs 500 and you are getting it earlier than if you waited to get to Vermilion City to get the Old Rod. Its just the first water pokemon (evolves into Gyarados at L20) you will run into unless you picked Squirtle as your starter.

Oh, and no, there is nothing perticularly special about this Magikarp. Plus when it evolves it learns bite which can do some Super Effective damage to Misty's Starmie (Half Psychic). Hope this helps :)

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Although Gyarados is a strong pokemon both Lance and Gary have them so you should try to find a pokemon to beat a Gyarados rather than getting one yourself.

ZanGo

pokemon maverick
    Years
  • just like i did in RBY, i bought it and patient enuf to train it...and besides, dragon pokemon are weak against dragon as well....(currently just got out of mt. moon with magikarp at lvl 13....)

Nessie

The return of the star!
    Years
  • Well gyarados is not as good, the good thing is his attack...but it special attack is not that great.

I started with charmander, my water pkmn is Lapras.Is good enough to pound Lance's dragons with ice beam...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • If you want a physical sweeper, or just a filler really, to build up your team, then go for it. Gyarados has some of the highest attack power in the game, and could be of use when you face harder opponents. If you want a Gyarados quickly, then yes - do it. If you don't... then don't bother really. ^_^

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Yes, a Gyarados may not be able to get STAB with it's moves, due to no Flying moves and low Special Attack, but with Dragon Dance Gyarados is hard to take down. You may think Roar or Haze will take care of that, but Gyarados can also learn Taunt. If Gyarados can Dragon Dance up at least twice, it's usually a case of ggkthx.

Stouph

Veteran Trainer
    Years
  • I say go for it to get an early water pok?mon if you don't have Squirtle... hey 500$, it's not THAT MUCH... could've more like 3000$ for example! I say it's kinda a bargain, depending on what your goals are...

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
  • Oh well, Gyarados is indeed a strong Pokemon, but i rather not choose him on my team anymore.
    The reason for this is because I have found many weaknesses on him. Since it is not a fully Dragon pokemon (because it is Water/Flying) it is quite weak against Ice (super effective, damage X2) and Electricity too (hyper effective, Damage X4). So if you make this pokemon battle against both electric, ice or water pokemon (which may have ice moves) is going to go down even before doing any dragon dance.
    Personally I prefer Kabutops, which is not hurt by neither electricity nor ice and has few super effective moves that can be done against him and loads of defence.
    But of course this pokemon is not available at that point of da game =P

Abusoru

Absol-ute Fan
    Years
    • Age 54
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 10, 2005
    Well I didn't purchase it. I was just wondering if I should go back and get it, if it had a special attack or something. I've already got 5 Badges and caught Articuno, so I don't need to go back for it.

Thanks for the help.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2006
    well i wish i got it but i dont have fly so i cant get it yet + it takes FOREVER to train but this might be because i hate to train.... :laugh:

KaeL

Nooblet
    Years
  • I heard about a cheat to get mew once ( On R/B ) , the only one i didnt try ( Blue was my Experimental/Trading version. ) It was buy that Magikarp, Give it to the day care man, then take it out at level 49, train it to 50, and it would evolve to mew.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Gyarados can't learn fly anyway... it learns no flying attack, and all of Gyarado's natural attack besides dragon dance are useless, but dragon dance is well worth it already. Like what Toothy said, 2 dragon dance from Gyarados = "Oh dear, oh dear, oh DEAR! Aerodactyl, save me!"

Or a Pokemon with quick claw using explosion... that got a 24% chance of saving you too.

Haru!!

I got Firered!
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 5, 2004
    Don't buy it even though you already haven't bought it.My friend bought it and i think she released it or something.She's sort of a newbie and she doesn't know that splash was suppose to not do anything.She thought her game was broken but we told her that it's suppose to be that way.By the time we told her she's released it.LOL.

evilgeniusguy

complete idiot
    Years
  • It depends on which starter. If you actually had a brain and picked charmander, buy the gyrados. and ampaharos, gary only has a gyrados if you picked bulbasaur or squirtle! ps. if you don't pick charmander as a starter, you are insane.

Makoto

Years
  • evilgeniusguy said:
    ps. if you don't pick charmander as a starter, you are insane.
    what he said! charmander rocks!(and bc of metal claw brock's easier now; learns metal claw at lv. 13)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back