• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Opinions on remake-style games (more or less)

Chalk33

Ex-watchmaker from Polyhex (not even a Pokémon thi
Years
  • I recently (perhaps a week or two ago) found out about Pokemon Essentials and, of course, wanted to give it a go. I'm helping one friend with his own project, which is going well so far. However, I really wanted to do something of my own. Platinum was my first pokemon game, and so of course I always find myself drawn to it. I have no confidence in my own level design skills, so I thought perhaps it would be prudent to make a sort-of sequel to Platinum, allowing me to use most of the content of Sinnoh (of course with a new story, some redesigned areas, definitely some new or expanded areas, and more pokemon).

Naturally, with this project being set in Sinnoh, I wanted to find some gen 4 tilesets so it would actually look the part (which I've had an inordinate amount of difficulty finding, but this isn't the place for that). However, during my search, I've come across sentiments against this sort of game. These sentiments are rather old now, and I've forgotten the exact specifics since I saw them last night, but I believe the gist of it was about originality and not wanting to play the "same again" a second time. Stuff of that sort.

I'd be lying if I said this hadn't left me feeling disheartened on my project. Embarking on a labor of love (as most fan games could probably be called) is one thing, but to do so without anyone else enjoying it upon its completion is another. It just feels rather pointless to me (which is ironic, considering I originally was not even sure if I was going to release it when I finished or not). So, my question is essentially this: is this still the general sentiment? Should I scrap/give up on this project and move on to something else? Opinions and genuine discussion on this very much appreciated. I'm willing to divulge more info as well (up to a certain point of course).

Chalk33

Ex-watchmaker from Polyhex (not even a Pokémon thi
    Years
  • Oh, that's really good to know! Thank you for sharing that. The fact that others are doing it says a lot, lol.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • I kinda share the sentiment of 'replaying an old game again' but that sentiment is mostly towards games based in regions I'm way to familiar with looking at you kanto but considering this is planning to be a Sinnoh based game, I say go for it

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    sinnoh is my favorite region, would love playing such a game :)
    it may have the same graphics/pokemon but as long as there's also new places, new gym leaders, plot, maybe even new moves, it's not "the same game".

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2023
    First off, you should make the game you want. Don't make this game expecting an audience or for any particular group of people, make the game you want to make and the game you want to play. Second, starting from a region that already exists cuts out a LOT of the workload, letting you get to the nitty-gritty much quicker and also finish with less effort. I would suggest changing things as much as you are capable, such as the starting city or the starters or the available pokemon or the layout of the routes. Whatever you think you can improve, try. And then if you ever want to make a custom region, you can take that experience with you onto your next project.

Back