• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphic✓] My Sprite loses Transparency?

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
Years
  • Hi!

Most recently, I've been creating custom shinies for my Hack for Pokemon that either look ugly, or don't change much when shiny. Every time I create a sprite, I open it up in PGE to see how it turns out, and how it would look in game, but I've encountered issues with two Pokemon that I changed shinies of. These Pokemon were Seel and Gengar, and each have an odd result on the normal sprite on the Pokemon. Is there something wrong with the shiny colours chosen, or is it when I save, and the sprite loses transparency? I'm not sure. (The Bars at the top of the sprites are the shiny palettes I used :) ) Any help would be appreciated. :D

Spoiler:

Attachments

• Issue 1.PNG
      Issue 1.PNG
      8 KB · Views: 22
    • Issue 2.PNG
      Issue 2.PNG
      7.2 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • I just learnt as well that the sprite for Gengar that was used before the white pixels appeared was a purple, which I replaced with a dark blue, if this helps somehow. :D

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • Oh, Ok, here are the actual ones, sorry. I know for sure they are the correct dimensions, and such, I'm just not sure how the error occurs from these images.

Attachments

• Custom Shiny Gengar!.png
      Custom Shiny Gengar!.png
      5 KB · Views: 12
    • Custom Shiny Seel!.png
      Custom Shiny Seel!.png
      4.8 KB · Views: 11
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Hello, I took some time and discovered that the shiny Seel front sprite used more than 16 colors.
    I think that you forgot to include the background for your complete color palette and ended up with 17 colors. The sprite itself without the background has to be 15 colors and indexed (Individual sprites).
    You don't have to include that color palette, it only reduces the allowed number of colors to use for your sprite.

Every single sprite on that sprite sheet needs to be indexed and 15 colors max because one color is reserved for the background. If you decide to import that sprite sheet and not the individual sprites one by one make sure that all the sprites are using 15 colors each. That will make sure that the background color cost is covered.

Short anwser: Index your sprites to 16 colors individually but make sure that the background color is included.
    I hope this helped and good luck.

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • Hello, I took some time and discovered that the shiny Seel front sprite used more than 16 colors.
    I think that you forgot to include the background for your complete color palette and ended up with 17 colors. The sprite itself without the background has to be 15 colors and indexed (Individual sprites).
    You don't have to include that color palette, it only reduces the allowed number of colors to use for your sprite.

Every single sprite on that sprite sheet needs to be indexed and 15 colors max because one color is reserved for the background. If you decide to import that sprite sheet and not the individual sprites one by one make sure that all the sprites are using 15 colors each. That will make sure that the background color cost is covered.

Short anwser: Index your sprites to 16 colors individually but make sure that the background color is included.

Thankyou very much, this was very helpful! I'll try getting rid of a colour on Seel for now, and see the results :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020

You only need to index it if you are importing manually (like with Unlz-GBA, for instance.) PGE automatically takes care of it for you if you have the correct amount of colours (ie 16 or less)

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • I'm probably better off re-starting the shiny Seel, I was bored, and it was a 5 minute job, and I made the eyes red on the normal seel from tampering with the palette to revert colours, restarting the Seel, I can think of something better to make the palette, and have actual origin besides being blue. In knowledge now, I know I have to use a maximum of 15 maximum colours on the Pokemon, and 1 on the background. :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    @BirdstarCat13
    Hello, thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware of this. Probably because the only tool I have been using for years is APSE.

@ Ace Trainer Slash
    I have tested this on Gengar and it worked fine so as you said maybe it's better to redo Seel?
    Here are the pictures I used the shiny code but for testing purposes and tested Gengar.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I indexed the sprite sheet to 63 because you know 4x16 and 1 color because this sprite sheet used one background color. (I could have indexed it to 64 but just to make sure I didn't, you never know).
    As said above I'm not using PGE but APSE that's why I manually index the sprites or sprite sheet.

Let me know if you see anything that I might have missed it looks good to me.

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • @Ribon-san
    You didn't miss anything, the sprite loaded in perfectly! :D I might someday learn how to Index sprites properly, I tried it once, and failed miserably. :D By the way, If you wish, you can use the shiny forms, if you like them. :) Anyone is allowed to use the shinies I created if they like them. :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    @Ace Trainer Slash
    Apparently APSE indexes it automatically too just like PGE. You should be fine as long as you remember to keep one space of color free for the background.
    My bad it's been very long since I last did anything romhacking related.
    I will put a indexing tutorial in the spoiler below, check it out if you can and want to.

I hope that your problem is fully solved now, let me know if it isn't.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2018
    Hello, im new here. I dont know where should i go so i will random comment here, so my objective is : is there somebody have a 1% shiny rate on pokemon platinum? I dont want a 100% shiny cheat, i dont want a thousand random encounters either, 1% is fine. Im currently doing fire red, but i cant seem to find a 1% of platinum. Thank you so much if somebody could help me. Im really new here so im sorry if im asking in the wrong place. Thank you so much!!!

Ace Trainer Slash

Years
  • Hello, im new here. I dont know where should i go so i will random comment here, so my objective is : is there somebody have a 1% shiny rate on pokemon platinum? I dont want a 100% shiny cheat, i dont want a thousand random encounters either, 1% is fine. Im currently doing fire red, but i cant seem to find a 1% of platinum. Thank you so much if somebody could help me. Im really new here so im sorry if im asking in the wrong place. Thank you so much!!!

Hi, you did post on a wrong thread, as this one's about graphics, but that's ok, unfortunately, I'm not too common with the changing of shiny odds, so I can't really help with that, sorry.

Back