• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which of these do you Prefer?

=Zack=

Is it worth fighting for?
Years
  • I am preparing to make a Pokemon game, but I wanted to try a unique battle system. I have two ideas in mind, both involving PMD sprites. I have a mockup prepared to show you:

1. Turn Based:
    mockupkv8.png

Y'know, a basic Pokemon pattern, except with with the minor difference of using PMD sprites. I would probably use Photoshop to help with some of the attack effects. It isn't a very good mockup, but I think I get the point across.

2. "Free Roam PKMN Battle":
    No picture for this one, because I personally think I wouldn't be able to make it work too well, but think of Pokemon battling each other like a Street Fighter game. No turns, it's whoever attacks first. An HP and SP bar at the top, indicating your remaining life and power to use special attacks. It would still be in the same overworld view though, kind of like the mockup. There would be dodging, blocking, attacking, special attacking, and whatever else we could think of. So, tell me what you think of these two battle systems.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2008
    Personally I love it, it's just wether I could be bothered pushing so many buttons etc...

sonic smash down

Where those that train, train hard!
    Years
  • a charizard losing to a lv 3 evee lolz. srry had to point that out. personally i think both of them would be tough to accomplish especially the second one. If this is your first fanmade game i suggest goin wit the rpg style one.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    It depends on the game your making if it's a traditional Pokemon RPG go with Turn-Based, if your making one simmiler to Mystery Dungeon then go with Free-Roam

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2008
    It would actually be similar to the game "Dragonball Z: Legacy Of Goku" for GBA. Same battle style. I dont think this will be hard to accomplish.

sonic smash down

Where those that train, train hard!
    Years
  • well if it isnt your first and you've had exp. then i would love if you could implement the second feature. Ive always wanted to play the games like that. but im not experienced enough to do it on my game.

Waudby

It would actually be similar to the game "Dragonball Z: Legacy Of Goku" for GBA. Same battle style. I dont think this will be hard to accomplish.

I'd like to see you fully implement it :P

Well I personally think that the first idea is better, because Pokemon games like this are turn based games based around (but not always shown) strategy, so to take away the turn based side of things would be a bit weird, i'm not saying it wouldn't work, just wouldn't be as Pokemon-ish.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    add Panel system. that means you take turns to let Pokemon move and different attacks has different ranges. The movement area is limited in sides, like that:
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    the red area is opponent's area and blue is player's area.

Shadez

-
    Years
  • add Panel system. that means you take turns to let Pokemon move and different attacks has different ranges. The movement area is limited in sides, like that:
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

that actually reminds me of megaman battle network XD

but back on topic:
    it would be really cool if you could implement the second one always wanted to see that in a pokemon game

=Zack=

Is it worth fighting for?
    Years
  • add Panel system. that means you take turns to let Pokemon move and different attacks has different ranges. The movement area is limited in sides, like that:
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Like Hao said, that reminds me of Battle Network. It's a very good idea, and it's very possible that I may make a system like that, but for now I'm going to see what people think of my two current ideas.

it would be really cool if you could implement the second one always wanted to see that in a pokemon game

I've always wanted to see that too, but the main purpose of this thread is to see what people would enjoy more.

Back