• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] City Cat's Short Questions Thread

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Call command glitch

I couldn't figure out how to get rid of this problem online, but does anyone know how to get rid of the call function? Don't know how it happened, but every trainer battle I do, the run button is replaced with call. All I know is that this has something to do with the shadow typing.

Maybe this is because I added fairy type as well as all Pokémon from gen 1-7?

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    In the main Pokemon games, you can never run away from trainers.
    Instead, you can call your Pokemon, which either raises their accuracy or, if they're shadow and in hyper mode, removes hyper mode and decreases their shadow heart gauge.

In short, that is not a glitch or a bug, it is intended.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Oh ok, got it. I suppose for debug mode I got it to go away by removing shadowmoves.txt
    Thanks

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Combo attacks based on Pokémon in party.

Kinda a long shot probably, but I was wondering if there is any way to add a feature where you could make a type attack combo with two Pokémon in your party.

The way I thought it could work is if you have at least 2 Pokémon there could be a 5th attack option that lets you pick one move to use from the Pokémon you have in battle and another move from a Pokémon in your party. I was thinking that you could make a generic attack animation based on the types selected. Thought this could be kinda cool to add an extra layer of strategy. Like inflicting double damage because you made a combo attack of two types the opponent is weak against.

Maybe the drawback could be losing a turn, it can only be used once or that there is a gauge that fills up based on successful attacks.

What do you think? Plausible maybe?

Years
  • what you're suggesting requires a lot of work. You'd need to edit essentially every method handling move learning, how the game reads the PBS files, all of the battle ui. You'd also have to make a battler effect for every combo possible encode a condition that it cancels the previous combo start. Then you'd have to tell it to end after the combo is finished.

There are no drawbacks other than
    a) its implementation
    b) the predictability of the resultant moves
    c) it's about as game altering as Mega Evolution
    d) you'd need to create combo blocking moves and abilities, as having these run rampant without any checks or counters makes for an unfun game

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Do you have to have at least 2 Pokémon for double trainer battles?

I noticed that in essentials when you make a double trainer battle that the trainers won't notice you unless you have at least 2 Pokémon. Is it possible to make it so you can engage in a double battle while not needing to have 2 pokemon? Not a huge deal, but just wondering if it's possible.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    I also noticed that for double trainer battles when a trainer notices you and approaches you only one of them walks up to you. Can they both be made to approach you when you walk by?

Years
  • 1) I don't think you're allowed to start double battles in the main series with only one Pokémon. Most double trainer battles in the game that are required are multi s so by default you have 2
    2) not without a lot of complex coding

Years
  • I also noticed that for double trainer battles when a trainer notices you and approaches you only one of them walks up to you. Can they both be made to approach you when you walk by?

TL;DR WAY DOWN IN THE POST

The fundamentals for that is making the second event (the one that didn't notice the player) to not pass the first one. You can check that by making an event with:

Trainer(2) - Event touch trigger
    Code:
    @>Set Move Route: This event (ignore if can't move)
    :		:$> Move Down
    @>Set Move Route: [Double Trainer M] (ignore if can't move)
    I'm using the event coolcouple from default essentials for this and I'm eventing inside the female NPC.

With that, you can see that the Male trainer will walk away from the Female trainer. You can use the Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0)) script call like other trainers, but I tested it

Code:
    @>Script: Kernel.pbNoticePlayer(get_character(0))
    @>Set Move Route: [Double Trainer M] (ignore if can't move)
    And it adds a delay between the first event and the second, making them not walk at the same time. So you are better off using the first method that I showed to move them at the same time.

There are two ways for you to make this event. One of them requires that you make a third active event and the other is a bit more thoughful, as I would call "the smart way of doing it". You need to make alterations for both male AND female trainers, I will list only one of them, but this is a matter of copy pasting.

Notice that you might want to change the switches that I used for my events.

The thoughful way
    Spoiler:

Don't forget to change the number that says which event ID is the other trainer from your events:
    Code:
    pbSetSelfSwitch([color=red]15[/color],"A",true)

tl;dr
    Explanation of what is happening:

1) The common event track where the player is at.
    2) The first conditional branch checks where the player is facing (in case the player decides to talk to the NPC directly instead of walking in front of them)
    3) The first variable see what coodinate is the front of the NPC. In this case, the X is the static variable and thats why it is checked first.
    4) The second variable checks where the player is when he was saw by the NPC and then the rest of the event makes the NPCs walk just the right amount of tiles needed.
    5) Repeat the check and movement in step 4 as much as needed.

I hope this can help you how to better solve your future problems with eventing. You don't need to use scripts for everything like people seems to think.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Makes sense, I think I'll stick with wild double battle encounters in place of that.

Years
  • While i cant personally say how to do this ill atleast inform you i'd require rewriting the way battles work; as its a 1 v 5 would have to add a whole new way to battle, and thats only the battle code. ^^

so if someone did have a way to do it; it may be complicated to add ^^

closest thing (while not the same) is wild double battles

horde is a triple battle which aren't programmed.

Code:
    enemy       enemy      enemy

enemy        you     enemy

that is a lot of work but theyre possible

Last edited:
    Years
  • Merged a lot of your shorter questions into one thread. Unless you have an error thread or a base of code for us to work on, please keep your questions here!

Also, feel free to hang out with us in discord! We can answer all of those shorter questions you have there, as well!

Last edited:
    Back