• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Crystal Dreams

What should the new home town be named? (The beginning of your story)

• Azure Cove

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Magnolia Town

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Silver City

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
Hello, I know I'm new and out of the blue, but I had some inspiration after playing Rangi's Polished Crystal.
I've done ROM hacks before, however, due to lack of expertise in the subject, lack of time, and lack of a proper release with new(-ish) material of anything I ever done. Tbh, I've been afraid to even try at times thinking I'd never succeed. Hopefully, I can change that with a little story.

Name: Pokemon Crystal Dreams
Hack of: Pokemon Crystal (Yes, GBC Crystal)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

New Features:
-You'll start out with a Kanto starter of your choice this time around given to you by Prof. Oak. while being able to recieve a Johto starter of your choice from Prof. Elm early to mid-game.
-2 new Gym Leaders, Jasmine and one other surprise is a Elite Four now. Everyone will be rematchable for stronger teams later as well.
-There will be 251 Pokemon as normal, but some will be removed to have pokemon from all 7 gens such as Salamence, Spiritomb, and even Alolan-Pokemon. The story itself ties in with a new legend. Each pokemon will have revised movesets, Some will even have stat and type buffs. Elite Four Will even has a new toy up his sleeve.
-Fairy-type will exist as of Gen 6 & Fairy-type moves will have new animations.
-Some moves will be removed and replaced with newer ones from Gen 3 onwards. (Although some current animations of Crystal will be used until later on unless specified)
-New characters, devamped/revamped sprites of both Trainers and Pokemon. Recolored sprites. Familar faces outside of Gen 2 as well.
-New locations, New events, Brand new story.

My Current Situation and Progress:
So far, I've got zip done other than doing some of the Sprites, which I will show later when I have a good majority of them done. I've currently been trying to download Cygwin so I can run stuff on my computer for Crystal Disassembly and see how it works. But I'll currently be without until probably next month. My current living conditions and internet are not the best whatsoever and I've been trying to get that changed. I'm having to wait until I visit my sister's soon as she's better off than I am with internet and it probably would be better there than it would here where I'm at now. So until then, my hacking skills are next to nothing until then. I'll mostly be doing Sprite work until then. However, when it comes to time, I hope I'll have team to help me out in the areas I'll need it desperately in. I hope this is interesting enough to even warrant a team as I don't come out of my shell very often. (But I need to wait a month as I'm new here) I believe this will be a wonderful project and I hope everyone will enjoy it once I've achieved my or perhaps even our goal. :)

Last edited:

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
Updated as 6/9/2017:
-Most Trainer Sprites are finished, still working on the last few Trainers and the Pokemon Sprites.
-Added a new feature to the OP (I forgot about it the first time)

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
Bump~

I apologize for not updating with my sprites yet, I've had a hellish whirlwind of the past week.
I do very appreciate the ones that have voted on my poll though, let's me know I'm not necessarily alone and talking to myself lol xD

I'll try and have stuff done soon, then worry about my first attempt of the crystal disassembly

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
A sequel to GSC, the way GSC was to RBY, is exactly the hack I've been waiting for. (Pokémon Christmas was only a few months afterward so not too much changed, and focused on its winter theme.) I'll be following your progress! Post on the Skeetendo forums if you run into problems, myself and other hackers can help out.

I love the idea of more towns the way B2/W2 did for Unova. And western Johto is a good place for them, since it's so empty.

Some tips:

• Johto towns all had wood/plant-based names, so Magnolia Town works well for the starting one. White or light pink roofs would be appropriate.
  • You can use two more Pokémon slots for 253 total. With a relatively small dex, every one counts. For simplicity, move EGG to $fe (254) and use $fc (252) and $fd (253) for Pokémon.
  • There are a lot of small semi-essential tweaks for Gen 2 hacks. For instance, most of these glitches/oversights have fixes. You can search the pokecrystal source code for "bug:" or "buggy" or "glitch" or "broken" and see the devs' comments on what's wrong and how to fix it.

I hope you post your sprites soon! And maybe some of your plans, like the new Town Map?

Last edited:

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
A sequel to GSC, the way GSC was to RBY, is exactly the hack I've been waiting for. (Pokémon Christmas was only a few months afterward so not too much changed, and focused on its winter theme.) I'll be following your progress! Post on the Skeetendo forums if you run into problems, myself and other hackers can help out.

I love the idea of more towns the way B2/W2 did for Unova. And western Johto is a good place for them, since it's so empty.

Some tips:

• Johto towns all had wood/plant-based names, so Magnolia Town works well for the starting one. White or light pink roofs would be appropriate.
  • You can use two more Pokémon slots for 253 total. With a relatively small dex, every one counts. For simplicity, move EGG to $fe (254) and use $fc (252) and $fd (253) for Pokémon.
  • There are a lot of small semi-essential tweaks for Gen 2 hacks. For instance, most of these glitches/oversights have fixes. You can search the pokecrystal source code for "bug:" or "buggy" or "glitch" or "broken" and see the devs' comments on what's wrong and how to fix it.

I hope you post your sprites soon! And maybe some of your plans, like the new Town Map?

This is all so helpful, I appreciate the interest :D
I had already decided Magnolia Town would be the new starting place, so that just makes my choice even better. The town map should be easy to do enough once I'm able to start on the project. I definately post here. Those glitches/bug fixes page will also be very helpful, I was aware they were there, just didn't know how to fix them as of yet, but that'll save me some time looking.

As far as the actual sprites, I'm actually almost done with the Pokemon ones and the Trainers are done. So I should post them in a day or two.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 4, 2018
Is Magnolia town a reference to fairy tail?

But looks like a hack I will be looking forward too.

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
Years
Is Magnolia town a reference to fairy tail?

But looks like a hack I will be looking forward too.

It is precisely, glad someone caught on! :D
And thank you!

UPDATE:
https://hax.iimarckus.org/post/45561/#p45561

I had promised everyone a preview of my Sprites, so without further ado, just scroll down and you can see some of them. There's also a slight bit of juicy details of what's going on in my head atm as far as Crystal Dreams

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I like this concept. And it'd be interesting to have a third set of starters as well if at all possible. If so perhaps Kalos or Alolan, maybe? Having access to a decidueye or chesnaught would be awesome and would pair well with a blastoise or charizard, and a venusaur combo with inciniroar/delphox as well as feraligatr/greninja would be good too.

That might not be doable though but its just a thought anyway.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
Years
I really love the Fairy Tail reference, this hack will be interesthing!
I hope be able to play it and enjoy it soOn :D
¡¡Aye Sir!! :3

Last edited:
Back