• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Other hack: Sonic 2 Iota

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
Years
  • thanks Zeikku, i really appreciate it :)

i have finished Giga City Acts 1 and 2, and fixed certain places in that level.

i will move on and do the previous level, which is Geno City. this could take a long time to do.

Here is the screenshot of Giga City but the background color is not the finished result.

GigaCity.png

~ Speedy Sonic

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    A hack hack of sonic 2, that seems great sonic has always been my favourite game and its good to see a none pokemon hack other then that the game looks good so far the screenshot looks good btw

Last edited:

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • thanks very much, it is quite hard also to think up or drawing up levels as well.

I have changed a level, Genocide City will now be Metallic Ocean, because there wasnt enough 16 x 16 blocks to make the whole thing, so i have changed it into Metallic Ocean.

With editing the font, i keep getting a problem. it keeps coming up a garbled mess when i try and edit the font and changing pointers over. the pointers are ok, i dont know whats wrong with it. The font in Tile Layer Pro looks ok, but when it is run in the emu, its a mess. it worked fine with the score/ring/time HUD when i tried it quite a while ago, so i dont know what could be wrong. if i sort this problem out, i will let you know.

~ Speedy Sonic

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • Sorry i havent been on much, just sorting out a few things, and finally got back to this. here is metallic ocean zone for you guys:

MetallicOcean.png

i know that it looks like a recolorant of Oil Ocean, but with a difference. the metallic ocean will have a lava effect, touch the ocean and you lose rings while sinking through it. same goes for the boss, you cant touch the ocean as you will lose rings or lose a life, thus making the boss a bit harder.

i will possibly move on to editing the title cards and such, as i have found a good hex editor which can copy data and transfer onto the other, which IMO, is very useful. wont be needing the ESEII anymore.

GodSaurus

Rock hard all night, baby
    Years
  • Well, this hacks looks cool so far, except for the first screenshot.
    I really suggest you to change the pallete. It doesn't look good.

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • sorry for not being on this hack again, been busy with other hacks. got 2 more screenies for you:

GigaCity2.png

this is Giga City with its new(ish) background. before the color wasnt dark to light, it was purple -> black -> white.

IcePalaceUnderwater.png

and the best one which i have ever done, is Ice Palace underwater. took a while to get the palette to match the normal palette but trying to make it a bit more like defrosted water.

with editing the title, changing title cards etc. the game just crashes all the time, but the only good thing about it is i can still edit the levels when i want to. so i cant modify anything using TLP, and then adding it to the rom.

i will try and create Aqua Lake act 2, where you are underwater for the whole act, but not when coming up to face the boss. will be a tough one.

BerserkPaladin

Has Left For GOOD
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2008
    Impressive! I haven't seen, or at least rarely seen Sonic hacks. Man it must be hard trying to mod the levels (Unless there is a tool that I don't know of). I did see this hack when I joined. I think it was on the second page... then it went to the third page... Well, make sure this stays on the first page. It would be a pity if it got to the 3rd page, where no-one bothers to look.

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • its even harder to think up of the levels rather than just creating it. the thing is, you got to check to see if everything works okay (sprites, path swappers etc), then go along with it. its a bit like lunar magic, but most sprites come up in a [?] block, so its hard to figure out what effect it may have. i still dont know how the path swappers work correctly, because it will usually have L0 R0 or something like L0 R1 but i havent figured it all out yet.

yeah, i know. this hack usually goes onto 2nd page.

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • it is hard, the thing is, for sprites, you have to find a 3 figure number for a certain sprite e.g. (36 10 00 is 2 spikes horizontal) but if the editor doesnt know what it is, it usually appears OUPU (Object Unknown, Property Unknown) but these can have different functions like in IPZ, the orbs over and underwater (the one that sonic is standing next to) is 71 11 00 but it doesnt tell you its function as it is OUPU.

update: 5% of aqua lake act 2 finished. as you may already know, the act is all underwater until you meet the boss. there is a little bug when you start, with the bubbles shaped like u's, but its natural as i have tried the water effect on the other levels.

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • thanks Pikachu Trainer, i appreciate it.

this Aqua Lake act 2 is taking ages, yet i only have limited space in Y value. the thing is, i gotta keep it below water, and then come out at the end to face the boss. thinking and doing this level seems hard, and i could be working on it for a while.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    BRILLIANCE!!!
    I love all classic sonic games! All the others suck...
    I can't wait to play this soon

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • thanks Marudah, i will do my best :)

only got around 30% done of ALZ Act 2, but i think the problem will be that i will have to sort out the sprites once i have finished the level layout. i think i made 1 part impossible where you spin dash and only have very limited space without hitting the spikes. problem fixed.

Joey the Cockroach

Years
  • thanks violet, i am still going with the hack, but progress is going at a snails pace. any free time i can get i will try and piece every single bit into the hack. Aqua Lake is around 35% done, hopefully i can get the rest done by July.

Back