• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do your pc is strong enough to run newer or half-newer games?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • My computer is so old that I'm lucky to play my games at Medium graphics. Circa 2009/2010 with hardware that is several years prior(like 2007/2008). Despite it's age, it can run Civ 6 but I rarely ever try to push it for fear of Hardware failure(its old goddamnit).

Besides... I'm waiting on things such as this to come down significantly in price along with DDR5 RAM(I have DDR3 and we're on DDR4. Whether or not RAM will even be needed in the future is the real question but DDR5 is a quantum leap over what I got), Volta GPU and waiting on CPU's to finally hit 10nm Lithography(Intel has been pushing it back for years).

Figure by the time I'm ready to buy new components in 2020, technology will have advanced and dropped in price to where it doesn't break the bank.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • My 2012 laptop can run Guild Wars 2, which is safe to say the most "intensive" game that I regularly play.

Recently, I randomly bought Risen 3 through a summer sale, and I suppose it does lag sometimes, so perhaps it still ought to be fine with regards to most games.

Years
  • Well, I built my custom PC and able to play Monster Hunter World, Doom 2016 & FFXV at 1080p with everything maxed out and reaching an average of 55-60fps.

My intel hd graphics 4000 couldn't even open doom (2016), it just shows the console error, might be because it is pure intel graphic card and not nvidia graphic card, and then i give up installing it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • My current Rig is able to run most games even if its specs are more of like late 2016-2017 standards.

DOOM 2016 runs as smooth as silk in MAX Settings
    Rainbow Six Siege i have 100++ FPS at Ultra settings
    Destiny 2, well that game's has the System requirements of a 2015 Gaming PC so obviously that game ran.

However, I feel like I would need to be upgrading my PC Soon as soon as 2019 and beyond starts. I'm hopeful that my video card (a measly 1060) will hold up for several more periods.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I have two PC?s and to give you an idea as to how old they are, they were bought not long after the first I7?s or Quad core Processors were introduced. This is back in 2008/2009 with the 45nm Bloomfield and Lynnfield series of chips. The speed is 2.67 GHz so to say that is old is an understatement seeing as we are on 14nm with speeds pushing 5 GHz. It?s RAM is DDR3(we?re on DDR4, going on DDR5 in a few years...) and it?s GPU is as old as it?s other hardware. I haven?t gotten anything recent because I know it can?t handle it. Last game I got was Diablo 3 and even that it struggles to run on Medium settings(same with Starcraft 2). The nail in the coffin for me is that Windows 7 is not going to be supported for much longer. If the leaked report is true, then I?m going to be forced to get a new Computer by 2020. I just hope Intel gets their act together and releases their 10nm line already. Seeing as it?s been 10 years or so since these computers were purchased, I?m likely to go all out on this new one since it?s overdue.

Thinking something along the lines of this:

CPU: 10nm 6-Core Processor(maybe 8 if that isn?t much more than the base 6)
    Motherboard: Corresponding to CPU socket(they love to come out with new Motherboard chipsets)
    RAM: 16-32GB DDR5(ideally)
    GPU: Volta(yet to be released by NVidia)
    Two Solid State Drives(which are getting improved every damn quarter)
    Optical/Blu-Ray Drive(getting harder to find but I still use CD?s for stuff)
    Water cooled system(have to with these power and heat producing hogs)
    800 Watt Power supply(depends on Power needs) but leaning at least Gold rating here(possibly Platinum if I want to splurge))
    Case big enough to hold it
    New 32 inch 4K 144 Hz monitor(they just entered the market so after a bit of refinement and time, the price should drop enough to warrant splurging here to take advantage of the Volta).

All told, I wouldn?t be surprised of spending upwards of $5k on this. Granted due to the age of my current rigs and the fact I don?t intend to upgrade any time soon, I might be inclined to splurge when the time comes. Crazy I know but it comes in 10 year cycles. Before those two ancient rigs, the last one was bought in 1999 lol.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Before my PC died on me, it was mediocre at best. Of course, because of that, I basically stuck to emulators, excluding the best ones like Dolphin or Desume. Mainly kept it for playing MUGEN though, that was a blast.

Interesting and awesome, since my old windows xp laptop i had, i used to play MUGEN (awesome game) and also watch MUGEN videos, and it broke also sadly.

Back