• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Just A Concept

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2019
    I've been messing around with pokemon essentials in my free time lately and came up with an idea that I thought would make an interesting game. I'm mainly wanting to know if people would want to play something like this.

In short, it's a semi-open world fusion of Mystery Dungeon and Core Pokemon with light elements of early Final Fantasy games.

It would basically work like this: The game would take place in a large world with several towns and cities, connected via a world map. When the player leaves a town they are sent to the world map, and wander about until they find something. For example, let's say you see a forest to the north of whatever town you are in. You can walk to that forest, and when you reach it, a prompt would appear saying something along the lines of "Oh, it's a mystery dungeon!" Should you choose to enter it, you would delve through a number of randomly generated floors until you are defeated or reach the end. However, instead of reaching an end point and returning to town like in the mystery dungeon games, you would appear back on the world map on the other side of the forest. Each town would have a bulletin board with jobs available for nearby dungeons, with different tasks, difficulties, rewards, etc. - standard Mystery Dungeon.

The Core Pokemon part comes in to play through the battle system. You'd start with both a player and partner pokemon, with both random battles throughout each dungeon. Almost all battles would be double battles as a result, similar to Colosseum or Gale of Darkness. Boss battles could work as both you and your partner battling against a horde of pokemon or a single powerful foe. Items such as orbs and seeds from mystery dungeon would also be there, simply adapted to work in standard battles. Escape orbs could act like pokedolls, geo pebbles could be used on an enemy to deal some damage, and reviver seeds could be used like a berry when held.

Finally comes the Final Fantasy elements. The game would progress in a way closer to that of FFV or FFVI than any of the pokemon games, guiding the player along a linear story with activities and side-quest sprinkled throughout. The player also wouldn't ever be given the chance to catch or recruit any pokemon, but would instead form a party as the game goes on. The world map also comes from Final Fantasy, perhaps the player would even be able to fly on the back of a pokemon at some point as if they were an airship.

I think that this could make for an amazing game if executed correctly, but I have no clue if people would even be interested in it. Please let me know what you think!

Last edited:

remer

The Warrior
    Years
  • I suppose that the player is also a pokemon like in PMD right?I should say,i really have a good feeling about this.I think it will be worth doing such a game.All the best if you are trying to make it.(As i have played all the three games you have mentioned,i think i got what you are meaning.)

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2019
    Yep, it would be the same basic setup as the Mystery Dungeon games: You are a human turned into a pokemon and meet another who becomes your partner.

Back